Acerbis Rally II hand guards installed... - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Acerbis Rally II hand guards installed...

Hey guys, there has been alot of handguard posts and questions rollin around out here in V. land, so I thought I would post my findings and experience here.
I was pretty worried about finding something that would fit properly and look decent. For some reason, I thought this was going to be some monumental task that required very specific guards and even then some minor mods. Well after weeks of searching and pondering, I finally settled on Acerbis Rally II Guards. Made a trip to Apex Motorsports, a local bike shop, and looked at several different guards, from Acerbis, KTM, Zeta, and a couple others I forgot. I was looking at several types of Acerbis guards that looked like they would all fit (although, the other brands looked like they would all fit as well) with relative ease. I decided on the Rally II guards because I like the way they look, and they use a plastic spine as opposed to a metal one. This in my mind offers 2 benefits, less weight, and if I do take a digger and smash the guards, they will just snap back into shape, instead of being permanently bent. All I needed was the guard kit, $45, and a mount kit, $31. I foolishly did not bother to keep the mount kit part number to rattle off to you, but it was a standard Rally II mount kit, and honestly there were few differences between the mount kits they had. They all had the most important bit, a part to mount the inner part of the guard to yer bars. Installation was total cake and took about 5 mins...All I had to do was unscrew the barends, then using the stock allen screws, screw in the outer part of the guard. I did not remount the bar ends, and thought I may do this later. After riding without them, I noticed little to no difference in vibes, even on the highway. Also gives a little more room for tight squeezes and lightens the bike by what must be close to a pound. (I'll take whatever I can get!!!) Then I mounted the inner part of the guard with the supplied brackets and hardware, the only thing I had to alter on the bike was to loosen the front brake cable from the reservoir, turn it a few degrees to make room for the right bracket and, ta-da, done!! Here's a couple of pics, including a close-up of the slight brake line movement. Enjoy, and hopefully this will make the decision easier for all those wanting guards, but agonising over which kind to get, and how hard it will be to put them on.
Aus,
Erik!!!
*EDIT* Oh yeah, I also had to remove the little plastic loop thingies that hold the electronics wires to the bars...I think I'll be ok without them...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG0430.JPG (258.1 KB, 669 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG0431.JPG (218.1 KB, 515 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG0432.JPG (278.6 KB, 502 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG0433.JPG (201.8 KB, 426 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG0434.JPG (326.5 KB, 677 views)

Last edited by Motodevil; 08-07-2008 at 04:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 05:01 PM

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 03:05 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, Mr. Killer.
On a side update...
The main reason I wanted hand guards was for wind protection. Had some frozen hands earlier on in May, even with my fat-ass winter gloves. I can report back that after tonight, guards are a must if you live in a chillier clime. I rode home this evening in low 50 degree drizzle, with my new mesh summer gloves, about a 25 min ride, my hands didn't even get chilly!!! And even stayed mostly dryish. I was planning on heated grips in early November, but now, I may be able to fore go those!!! Money must be carefully alloted you see!!!Almost ready for the winter battle!!! New jacket on the way and cold weather pants coming in October.
Aus,
Erik!!!

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 12:30 PM

Nice write up Moto! After getting caught in the rain last week I am getting handgards soon. Wet gloves suck. Thanks for the pictures!

Last edited by oscar.45; 08-08-2008 at 07:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode