Mean City Cycles in N. Carolina - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 11:12 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to andyhewitt3 Send a message via Skype™ to andyhewitt3
Mean City Cycles in N. Carolina

has anyone heard of or had seat work done by Mean City Cycles in Maiden, NC?
http://www.meancitycycles.com/index.php
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 08:28 PM

Yes, and they are a great bunch of guys. I have never been up there but I know several people that have been. I know that they do a lot of cruiser style seats. I am not sure about sportbike type seats. I have sat on a couple of Honda VTX seats that he has done and they are way more comfortable than the stock seat. I have a friend with a 97 VFR that is thinking about sending his seat there. You can also just ride up there and they will do it while you wait.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 10:55 PM

I live 10 minutes away. I am in Lincolnton so I may just have to ride up there and see if they would be willing to do anything for the V. Tuesday will be the first day I have off. So Tuesday I'll ride up and inquire.

I can't help I am not on of the Sheeple.

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorbum View Post
I live 10 minutes away. I am in Lincolnton so I may just have to ride up there and see if they would be willing to do anything for the V. Tuesday will be the first day I have off. So Tuesday I'll ride up and inquire.
I emailed them and he replied that he couldn't lower the seat very much b/c its so thin (I have a friend who needs it lowered). I just want it to be bearable for longer than 30 mins. Let us know what they say.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 05:08 PM

Sorry guys, I wasn't able to go there today. I worked third last night and then had to pick up my little one from daycare. It will be Thursday, and definitly Thursday. When they see it they may be able to make a better determination.

post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 02:06 PM

I went to Mean City Cycles today. They have a small shop, but seem to be busy. The owner looked at the seat and said that he could rework it for a more comfortable ride. He also said that he did mostly ride-ins. Meaning you take your bike and he lets you set on it as the reworking is performed to make sure you actually like it and it's the way you want it. The downside of that is they only do ride-ins on Saturdays, and are booked up until October. As I said, this is a small shop so unlike Corbin, they can not mass produce seats at this point. They can do the seat in gel, memory foam, and whatever else you can think of. He said that he could also rework it and and re-wrap the seat in the original cover. At this point I am waiting to take mine in. I gave him my name and number just in case there is a cancellation one Saturday. So I guess this isn't really good or bad news, but I am now interested in getting the seat reworked. He also seemed very reasonable. Depending on what you wanted of course.

Last edited by motorbum; 08-14-2008 at 07:36 PM.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Ha! I used to live in Lincolnton. I managed the Autozone for about a year back in...2004. Anything changed?

Brennan-
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 04:13 PM

Nothing what-so-ever. That's why I'll never leave. I lived on the West Coast while I was in the military. First thing I wanted to do was come back home. Where are u now?

post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I went to Mean City Cycles today. They have a small shop, but seem to be busy. The owner looked at the seat and said that he could rework it for a more comfortable ride. He also said that he did mostly ride-ins. Meaning you take your bike and he lets you set on it as the reworking is performed to make sure you actually like it and it's the way you want it. The downside of that is they only do ride-ins on Saturdays, and are booked up until October. As I said, this is a small shop so unlike Corbin, they can not mass produce seats at this point. They can do the seat in gel, memory foam, and whatever else you can think of. He said that he could also rework it and and re-wrap the seat in the original cover. At this point I am waiting to take mine in. I gave him my name and number just in case there is a cancellation one Saturday. So I guess this isn't really good or bad news, but I am now interested in getting the seat reworked. He also seemed very reasonable. Depending on what you wanted of course. But, unlike the Corbin, you get a choice of what you want your seat wrapped with.

thanks for the info! This looks like my best option for getting a comfortable seat.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-16-2008, 07:57 AM

I don't think dealing with these guys would be a mistake. I am going in first chance I get. I am scheduled for October unless someone cancels. Maybe, after the first one, they will feel more comfortable with receiving, re-working, and shipping seats.

post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 07:23 AM

Hey guys,This is Allen at MCC in NC. Motorbum stopped by my shop again yesterday and said I should put a post up about the V's seat. I have not worked on one yet and actually called Motorbum the other day to get his into the shop to work his seat over and he informed me he traded it in for the K1000 which he stopped by to show me yesterday(very cool bike I might add) So again I do not have a Versys seat to work on to see what we can or can't do to make them more comfortable. If anyone local wants to ride in and get their seat worked over please contact me and we can set something up. I try my best on seats I haven't worked on to get the first one or two into the shop as ride in's so we can be sure what we are doing works first before offering these modifications. Once I get one or two of these seats modified we can receive them by shipping them in and knowing what you want done to the seat along with your height and weight plus inseam we should be able to make these seats great for you guys at a fraction of the cost of a aftermarket seat.

Now a quick note, I do not want anyone to take this post as spam so please do not. I am a rider just like you guys(I ride a Street Glide, Honda VTX and a CBR1000RR <strange mix isn't it?>)I am a member of several different messege boards(VTXOA,VTXCafe, HDForums,VTwinforums and the CBRForum) and I know i hate it when people come on our boards and spam. I told Motorbum I don't like posting on boards like this but he insisted and told me to tell you guys he told me so its motorbums fault that I posted.

Last edited by BadX; 09-04-2008 at 07:31 AM.
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 07:41 AM

Okay, I'm all set to bring my Versys there for a seat upgrade. My crazy schedule will keep me from getting there until Oct 25th, but I'll report back ASAP after that.

Don
"ride more, worry less"
2005 Suzuki GSXR1000 (slightly bent) - Track
2000 Honda VFR800 - Street
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadX View Post
Hey guys,This is Allen at MCC in NC. Motorbum stopped by my shop again yesterday and said I should put a post up about the V's seat. I have not worked on one yet and actually called Motorbum the other day to get his into the shop to work his seat over and he informed me he traded it in for the K1000 which he stopped by to show me yesterday(very cool bike I might add) So again I do not have a Versys seat to work on to see what we can or can't do to make them more comfortable. If anyone local wants to ride in and get their seat worked over please contact me and we can set something up. I try my best on seats I haven't worked on to get the first one or two into the shop as ride in's so we can be sure what we are doing works first before offering these modifications. Once I get one or two of these seats modified we can receive them by shipping them in and knowing what you want done to the seat along with your height and weight plus inseam we should be able to make these seats great for you guys at a fraction of the cost of a aftermarket seat.

Now a quick note, I do not want anyone to take this post as spam so please do not. I am a rider just like you guys(I ride a Street Glide, Honda VTX and a CBR1000RR <strange mix isn't it?>)I am a member of several different messege boards(VTXOA,VTXCafe, HDForums,VTwinforums and the CBRForum) and I know i hate it when people come on our boards and spam. I told Motorbum I don't like posting on boards like this but he insisted and told me to tell you guys he told me so its motorbums fault that I posted.
Hey folks, I did go there yesterday. I am going to let him work my new seat. I did insist that he come on here, well, more liked begged him to. He didn't want too because he didn't want to spam or appear to be. He rides, and understands how comfort is a big factor. Understand, I have nothing invested with these guys, but I have seen their work. After talking to him, I know that his first priority customer satisfaction, which is why he didn't want to just take my seat and just throw something on it, he wanted me to be there and set on it until it felt perfect. After seeing all the complaints about the seats folks are unhappy with and the price they paid, I know these guys will save you money, (alot) and you will be happy. Thanks, Guys.

post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 12:36 PM

Motorbum & Allen,

Thanks for all the efforts! Please put me down for a "mail-in" seat adjustment when you get things figured out. Since I'm in central Ohio, this is really my only option. Bummer!!

Ride safe & have fun,
Jim
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 01:31 PM

Sounds like you have found the holy grail to seat comfort. Guess I need to schedule an appointment.

Thanks!!!
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharrison56 View Post
Sounds like you have found the holy grail to seat comfort. Guess I need to schedule an appointment.

Thanks!!!
I am not sure about the holy grail, but if there is a way to make the seat better I am sure we can figure it out. I was hoping to get someone in before the end of next month but atleast we have one on the schedule to get done. I enjoy a good challenge I believe from what I have seen so far we should be able to make it into a really good seat.
post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MackDaddy View Post
Motorbum & Allen,

Thanks for all the efforts! Please put me down for a "mail-in" seat adjustment when you get things figured out. Since I'm in central Ohio, this is really my only option. Bummer!!

Ride safe & have fun,
Jim
I see that you live in Lewis Center.....did you buy your bike at Hinds? That where I bought mine.

'15 DL1000
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 10:51 AM

A piece of advice from experience on modified seats: get a backup stock seat first before you send / take it in. That way you keep riding while they work on it and you keep riding if they break it and you keep riding if you don't like the altered seat.

I'm calm like a bomb!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 11:52 AM

Guys, I have also traded emails with Allen about reworking my stock seat, and I've already satisfied myself that he and his shop are 1st rate, at least in terms of customer service.

I have a Corbin that I like a lot, but I wanted Allen to do something to my stock seat and then maybe sell the Corbin. I knew the mod might not work out, so I just asked Allen if he thought it was something that could be done. Allen was very upfront about what would and wouldn't work, and ended up talking me out of the mod even though it cost him my business this time. That says a lot in my opinion. He obviously values his reputation more than the short-term sale.

Going along with Darth Lefty's advice, I'd like to sell my stock seat to someone that wants to get their seat done by Mean City. In fact, I'll be passing by Mean City next Wednesday, so I could drop it off there to save the buyer any shipping charges (that's worth a lot for a big seat like this). I haven't asked Allen yet, but what I suggest is that I leave the seat with him so that when you go by to get your seat fitted, you can pick up my seat and ride home on it and leave yours with him. Normally he doesn't work with a seat exchange program because it's more trouble than it's worth, but I wouldn't think he would have a problem if the 2nd seat were already bought and paid for separately from him.

If anyone is interested, shoot me a PM and we can discuss details. Right now I'm thinking something in the neighborhood of $100 delivered to Mean City. I don't have any interest in fleecing anyone, though, so if that is too high, just make an offer. I tried to check Ebay to see what was a decent price, but there are no others out there for comparison that I could find.

I figure it this works out for someone, then you can just sell it to the next person and so on and so on.

Chris in Oneonta, NY
08 Versys that replaced my beloved 07 KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

>>>> states on a bike <<<<
>>>> East Coast done <<<<
>>>>> Westward HO! <<<<<
post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnor View Post
I see that you live in Lewis Center.....did you buy your bike at Hinds? That where I bought mine.
Not this time. I had to go to All Seasons sport center in Wooster. Great guys to deal with.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled seat mod thread...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode