Like Tree8Likes
  • 3 Post By kawdog
  • 4 Post By weljo2001
  • 1 Post By JACoH

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Sellerie tank cover from France

Complete with (their) tank bag snaps. I'll use it to get shop work done on my bike, and transporting it too when needed :-) However, I won't mind riding with it until it rains the next time: I won't worry about scratching my tank while leaning over

Very well made and orange was the only custom made color (2 weeks plus I had to let the glue smell air out a few days.) Since it was my only tank cover alternative, I am very happy to get nice European quality goods. If any tries them out, buy direct instead of UK ebay and save $80 :-o

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 07:53 PM

how come you didn't get a matching color?

what was the cost?

how do you buy direct?
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohburn View Post
how come you didn't get a matching color?

what was the cost?

how do you buy direct?
KAWASAKI VERSYS 650 - Deluxe seats, petrol tank covers, tank bags [Rates for an order from : UNITED STATES]

104 € complete/shipped/tax

They had 5 colors including metallic gold (Direct link above), but I'd rather get a contrasting color than 2 similar colors (so it's perfect, and not a close call - like 2 similar color pants and shirt.) It's hard to exact match a Kaw pearl metal-flake solar ... paint job with a imitation leather good. And personally, I can't tell what color is what from their pics any way. However, the (dark) green cover would be a good contrast to Kaw green.

UK ebay has better information though (link below), but less color choices and higher costs. Sellerie also have some seats too but I'm happy with my oem Kaw seat, and did not look at those. And they also have tank bags that fit the tank covers as well.

I was pleased to see them support the Versys 650

Kawasaki Versys 650 Top Sellerie Gas Tank Cover Bra Choose Colors | eBay

Last edited by kawdog; 02-16-2016 at 10:19 PM.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-17-2016, 08:04 AM

Garage
Not bad not bad. I personally wouldn't spend the $150 USD to buy it but to each their own. Looks kinda snazzy to be honest

14 Kawasaki Versys 650 ABS (kawi green)
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-17-2016, 09:02 AM
Banned

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stversys View Post
Not bad not bad. I personally wouldn't spend the $150 USD to buy it but to each their own. Looks kinda snazzy to be honest
I agree, to each their own........is snazzy another word for gaudy, or even "it's burning my eyeballs out!"............
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-17-2016, 09:58 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by my2wheels View Post
I agree, to each their own........is snazzy another word for gaudy, or even "it's burning my eyeballs out!"............
Thesaurus claims snazzy to be a synonym for "dressed to kill".

Snazzy Synonyms, Snazzy Antonyms | Thesaurus.com

14 Kawasaki Versys 650 ABS (kawi green)
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-17-2016, 10:55 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post
Complete with (their) tank bag snaps. I'll use it to get shop work done on my bike, and transporting it too when needed :-) However, I won't mind riding with it until it rains the next time: I won't worry about scratching my tank while leaning over

Very well made and orange was the only custom made color (2 weeks plus I had to let the glue smell air out a few days.) Since it was my only tank cover alternative, I am very happy to get nice European quality goods. If any tries them out, buy direct instead of UK ebay and save $80 :-o

Ah, the Biblical "Daniel and the Versys of Many Colors."

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-17-2016, 11:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
Thesaurus claims snazzy to be a synonym for "dressed to kill".

Snazzy Synonyms, Snazzy Antonyms | Thesaurus.com

It also says "Flashy", but that's still too watered down for the assault on my eyeballs that's pictured in the 1st post!!!!
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-17-2016, 01:39 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by my2wheels View Post
It also says "Flashy", but that's still too watered down for the assault on my eyeballs that's pictured in the 1st post!!!!

Making yourself visable in California is a good thing. I look like a giant banana with my hi-viz jacket and they still can't see me. Everyones on their phones...
onewizard, kohburn, kawdog and 1 others like this.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-17-2016, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
From the first link above, Sellerie in France, 94 euros/shipped is about $100, UK ebay is a rip due to gbp currency exchange (with shipping UK Ebay is closer to $190 to $200!)

It's all there is that I know of in tank covers for Versys 650.
$100 from Sellerie is half price of UK Ebay OR Pant Protective Film.
I kind of like it: now I have 2 snappy color tanks now with a 5 minute changeover time.

Last edited by kawdog; 02-17-2016 at 07:11 PM.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-17-2016, 10:02 PM

How is the gas cap operation? The cover looks kind of snug around the cap opening.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-17-2016, 11:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stud Muffin View Post
How is the gas cap operation? The cover looks kind of snug around the cap opening.
It is, but it's custom made for it. It feels like a stiff football cupping over the tank, but ultimately it is plastic and pliable. I put gas in and didn't notice any difference or give it a thought until you asked. Once the gas cap opens, it is accessible. The edging around the gas cap is extra-stiff, and when it is open, it may guide and center around the cap since I did not notice any resistance or obstruction at all.

It fits pretty tight centered and tucked under the tank side fairings so a nudge one way or the other long ways would line it up instantly if it ever did obstruct. The fit is oriented to the top and front of the tank primarily, so it fits best around the gas cap region. It fits a little looser on the seat side due to tight fit of seating components and could almost use a 3rd tie-down, but there is no reason to secure it tighter towards the seat. The tight fit is made to go around the gas cap chiefly now that you mention it: good observation.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-17-2016, 11:52 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post
It is, but it's custom made for it. It feels like a stiff football cupping over the tank, but ultimately it is plastic and pliable. I put gas in and didn't notice any difference or give it a thought until you asked. Once the gas cap opens, it is accessible. The edging around the gas cap is extra-stiff, and when it is open, it may guide and center around the cap since I did not notice any resistance or obstruction at all.

It fits pretty tight centered and tucked under the tank side fairings so a nudge one way or the other long ways would line it up instantly if it ever did obstruct. The fit is oriented to the top and front of the tank primarily, so it fits best around the gas cap region. It fits a little looser on the seat side due to tight fit of seating components and could almost use a 3rd tie-down, but there is no reason to secure it tighter towards the seat. The tight fit is made to go around the gas cap chiefly now that you mention it: good observation.
Several questions;
Is it meant for short term use?
Can you install it permanently and is there any chance of abrasion under the cover, from the stitching etc.

Would have been a great addition before I scratched my tank,

Your bike is starting to look like Optimus Prime---don't be surprised if accidents happen around you as a example " car driver was distracted and ran into stationary tree due to distraction of motorcycle"
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-19-2016, 10:47 AM

I've been looking at those, but wondered if the straps bothered your legs riding it. They look like they are in the way.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-19-2016, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACoH View Post
I've been looking at those, but wondered if the straps bothered your legs riding it. They look like they are in the way.
No, they are the minimum thickness of straps, 2 straps for snugging and they hang under the seat - no loose flaps. It's no thicker a loose pair of pants folded over at knee crease thickness. And I have knee and nut tank pads under the tank cover anyway on either side of the back-cover strap.

It's got a lined foam interior. The only hassle to keep the tank surface intact is to wash and polymer coat it (, I use RejeX from a company you can get on Amazon) before you put the tank cover on so you don't grind dirt (but there is no real grinding really, but to be 100% safe ...) I can now clean my whole bike and polymer coat it all in about 10 to 20 minutes depending on the detail work, since RejeX works on all surfaces, even the windscreen to 'sheet' water.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 07:43 AM

My bike came with the same cover, but it's slightly off-center and it annoys the piss out of me.

Any ideas on bags that might clip up to it?

2013 Ducati Monster 659

2008 Kawasaki Versys
(
)
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 10:17 AM

I ordered a black one from the website, $104.00 charged to my card. When you consider the good protection pads are $50.00 per set, this is not an exorbitant expense to protect the tank. Their website lists the tank bags that fit. Thanks Kawdog for the info.
kawdog likes this.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyDucatiIsBroken View Post
My bike came with the same cover, but it's slightly off-center and it annoys the piss out of me.

Any ideas on bags that might clip up to it?
They have tank bags (I can only assume) that match them are at the same Sellerie site as well, right below the tank covers. They have a lot of different colors in tank bags it looks like for our bike. To verify if the do fit the tank covers, go to UK ebay site and read their information on tank bags and tank covers, but then buy them up to half price with shipping at the Sellerie site

KAWASAKI VERSYS 650 - Deluxe seats, petrol tank covers, tank bags [Rates for an order from : UNITED STATES]

As well, retighten the 4 corners (not too tight) and the material will relax closer to the right shape after a while, especially around the gas cap. Of course mine was the only custom made color, orange, so it was built per (one)piece, where as other colors may have been batched, so deviations were not corrected until they did a whole batch.

Of course, if the other colors were built by piece as well, they would be superior due to 'piece builds' in repetition. But if left up to the 'Operator's' choice, it may be batch (vs. 'piece') builds because it it easier.

Last edited by kawdog; 02-21-2016 at 11:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode