Corbin Seat Owners - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Post Corbin Seat Owners

Ok, a few of you guy's have recieved your corbin seats last week. Its time to hear a performace report. Likes, Dislikes, suggested changes or improvements??

Last edited by PappaBear; 08-06-2008 at 12:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 01:17 PM

The seat is great. Very comfortable and the backrest give the wife the support/confidence she needs to ride.

I have noticed the seats ability to retain water. The day after a particularly heavy Florida afternoon shower I rode the bike to work as usual and arrived with a wet bottom, so a towel after rain is going to be necessary.

Fit and finish is top notch, although I did have to add washers to the bracket under the seat in order to get it to fit the bike, 5 minute job and she snapped right in place.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 06:48 AM

I think mentioned in an earlier post that the seating surface is real leather (at least on mine) which is good for comfort and long wear, but creates an issue with cleaning the bike. What I have done is shove a few garbage bags in my saddlebags to enclose it while cleaning. Other than that, it solves the sliding forward issue and is very comfy. It also has a bit more room to slide front to back. It weighs a pound or two more than stock. But the base is sturdier than stock. My decision to leave out thwe stitching may bite me in the ass later on as the leather on the surface isn't as secure to the surface of the foam as if it was stitched. I would suggest that you get the stitching for long term durability, despite how it may look.
Another nice thing about Corbin is the many different options as far as the color and different materials (pattern) available to customize the look of your seat.
Most of all is Corbin's reputation in the industry of producing a high quality product. All in all, I am very happy, and ready to inhale some miles, as I go on a 3 week vacation starting today after taking this last final in school. Woohoo!

Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 06:59 AM

Stiching on the seat can be cool from them. NOt sure what they would do with the Versys seat but that Corbin I had on my HD had flames stiched into it....
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 08:53 AM

Just recieved my Corbin seat, looks great but ran into a problem mounting it. I have a Givi topcase mounting rack and the seat will not fit until I removed the support tabs that are attached grab handles. Has anybody else ran into this problem .
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 01:09 PM

Augie,
So the stock grab handles could not be kept on with the corbin seat and the givi top case??
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinw9 View Post
Augie,
So the stock grab handles could not be kept on with the corbin seat and the givi top case??
I think he is saying the GIVI mounting tabs that attach to the grab handles had to come off.

Graham

To do is to be. -Descartes
To be is to do. -Voltaire
Do be do be do. -Frank Sinatra

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

States I've ridden in so far

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 07:24 PM

Can you use the top rack without them?
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharrison56 View Post
Can you use the top rack without them?
I don't think so. The side case and top case mounts are secured to them.

Graham

To do is to be. -Descartes
To be is to do. -Voltaire
Do be do be do. -Frank Sinatra

States I've ridden in so far

post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 08:53 PM

That would have been my guess. I just have the top case right now, but I bought the Givi top case and side case racks so that I could install them all at once. It is soundling like the Corbin seat might not be the best solution.
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-16-2008, 09:07 AM

You have to remove the grab handles. Drill The holes larger in the brackets so they will fit and then file the brackets so they don't rub against the edge of the bottom of the seat.
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 07:21 PM

New Corbin Seat

I just got my new Corbin seat yesterday. It took about three weeks to get here from the day I ordered it. I put it on last night, and conditioned the leather seating surfaces with some stuff that came with my leather couch. The seat popped right on, without any trouble. I put maybe 10 miles on it last night, and I could tell right away it was going to be far more comfortable than the stock seat. I took the bike out for a 50 mile blast today, and the seat felt great. No pain, no sliding into the tank, and the seat allows me to slide about 3/4" farther back than the stock seat, which is a more natural position for me. Of course the Corbin foam is harder than the stock foam, and the seat initially feels harder than stock, but the shape is much more supportive. All of this is no surprise to me, as I had a Corbin on my ZR-7S, and it was much, much better than the stock seat too.
The only drawbacks to the new seat as far as I'm concerned are the weight, and the way it fits the bike. I'd guess it weighs 5-7 pounds more than the stock seat, and of course that weight is carried up high on the bike. I can feel the difference in how the bike handles. Secondly, the gap between the seat and the tank is bigger than the stock gap, and it just doesn't look as well integrated as the stocker. It's not a major problem in my opinion, but it's something to be aware of if you're planning on ordering one.
All in all, I'm quite happy with it. It also gives me the option of adding a backrest for my passenger at a later date.

Handkphil

p.s. sorry, but no pics yet.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-30-2008, 09:37 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Steve08
OK I got my Corbin today and it doesn't fit. It won't go under the tang in front and it doesn't snap into the back either. The front looks like its WAAAAY off, like 1-1/2 or 2 inches. At $470 with delivery I'm pretty pissed off. Not to mention that, yeah, it's a LOT heavier than the stock seat. It's my first Corbin and this sucks. The "warranty" that comes with it pretty much says "no returns." This simply ain't cool. Can't even call and whine to them until Tuesday. You can see by the photos this thing isn't even CLOSE. WTF?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0342.JPG (53.4 KB, 575 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0345.JPG (90.2 KB, 550 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0346.JPG (52.3 KB, 508 views)

- Steve

08 VerSys - Last Bike Standing
96 Road King - Gone!
75 R60/6 - Gone!
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-31-2008, 06:01 AM

I got my seat yesterday and had a wee bit of a problem clearing the rear rack I had put on but it wasn't that big of a deal. I had no problem hooking up the front tang but the rear latching part really had to be pushed down to latch. It took me several tries, but it finally locked into place and I've had no further problems in taking it on and off.

I have a Corbin seat on my Honda ST1300 so I was prepared for it's firmness. You need a little stiffer seats for any kind of distance riding and it is very comfortable on my longest ride of just over 100 miles. I think it will be fine and well worth the investment.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor

Last edited by dallasdon; 05-26-2010 at 05:15 PM.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-31-2008, 10:43 AM

Could someone else with a Corbin seat please take it off, flip it over and snap a pic of the underside and upload it so I can compare it to what got shipped to me? I fiddled with my new seat for a few more hours again today and got nowhere.

- S

- Steve

96 Road King - Gone!
75 R60/6 - Gone!
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 10:14 AM

Resolution on the Corbin seat!

After many hours (about 5) of careful measuring and comparisons between the stock seat, the Corbin, and the bike itself, I was able to determine that the new seat was curved in at the front and upward along the spine. This kept it from dropping down far enough onto the bike in front to engage the tang retainer and from settling into the rear to catch the latch. I moved the bike over into a hallway where I could get on it and hold it upright with my hands on the walls (why hasn't anyone invented a centerstand!) and then got up on it, using my weight to press down on the seat, flexing the fibreglas and getting it down on the front enough to slide it forward in to the retainer loop. Now the seat was secure in front. I then had my girlfriend mount the pillion seat behind me while I was on the front and holding the bike upright. Although she doesn't weigh that much for a girl, a 115# weight on the back flexed the seat enough for the rear to catch the latch. We then took about a 30 mile cruise around the county to hit some bumps and mash this thing down. It sits in there nicely now, and is a HUUUUGE improvement over the stock seat. I have to push down on the pillion to get the key to turn and unlatch the rear, but I believe with some more 2 up riding, this issue will go away. It's a nice seat, even if the initial fit and finish was extremely frustrating.

Now that THAT issue is over, today I'll be working on an inexpensive soft bag frame. Later this week I'll be trying out an idea I've come up with for some highway pegs, with out having to put on an engine guard/ crash bars.

- Steve

96 Road King - Gone!
75 R60/6 - Gone!
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 10:27 AM

Steve, glad you got it resolved.

I took several shots of my seats and uploaded them to Photobucket to post here. Actually, I would have bet a bunch of money that I had posted them here for you, but I guess somewhere along the line I got distracted.

Sorry about that. Glad you didn't wait around for us.

Ride safe.

Chris in Oneonta, NY
08 Versys that replaced my beloved 07 KLR650

>>>> states on a bike <<<<
>>>> East Coast done <<<<
>>>>> Westward HO! <<<<<
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 10:08 AM

Steve08, would really like to see some pics of your highway bars that you rigged up!
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 03:05 PM

Don't have them done yet. Busy week. Probably won't have all the parts until the weekend, but I will upload pics when done.

- Steve

96 Road King - Gone!
75 R60/6 - Gone!
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-25-2008, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by augie View Post
Just recieved my Corbin seat, looks great but ran into a problem mounting it. I have a Givi topcase mounting rack and the seat will not fit until I removed the support tabs that are attached grab handles. Has anybody else ran into this problem .
Hey Augie,
I had a similar problem with my V-Strom but I don't know if my fix will work for you. The forward most mounting bracket was L-shaped and the Givi installation diagram showed the "L" pointing toward the front of the bike. Following someone else's advice I reversed it so the "L" was pointing to the rear of the bike which slid the whole case back about a quarter inch and then there wasn't any interference with the seat. I don't know what your setup looks like but hopefully it is similar.

-b-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode