rear rack & swingarm spools questions - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
rear rack & swingarm spools questions

I have been cruising the Twisted Throttle web site and have some questions they can't answer. Has anyone purchased the GPT.08.391.100/B_TWT rev 01 SW-MOTECH Alu-Rack Toprack (Kawasaki Versys 650, '07-) for Givi, TraX ALU-BOX, & Krauser topcases? There is no photo on their website or on SW_MOTECH's web site specific to the Versys. I'm considering utilizing this w/ the soft luggage rack also made by SW_MOTECH GPT.00.152.430 SW-MOTECH Alu-Rack Topcase Adapter Plate (steel soft luggage carrier, 12"-wide). I would be interested in seeing what it looks like.
Also considering the MOK.HSKP-10 GSG-Moto Swingarm Spool Slider for M10x1.25 (10mm diameter) threaded mounting holes, but can't confirm it will fit the Versys anywhere, anyone tried this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 10:43 AM

Have you called them directly? I've found they are quite helpful.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

Yes, talked to them a length, they can only refer me to the Ninja 650R rack, which obviously is going to be different from the Versys, a little different tail and no grab handles. And no help on the spools at all.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 07:27 AM

If you want swingarm spools go here. http://t-rex-racing.com/catalog.php?category=20
They also have a very high quality stand as well as the spools.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 04:25 PM

I've got photos of the SW-MOTECH top rack & bag mounts uploaded in the photo albums on this site. Members galleries DBD34...great products!
Gary

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're real" - Abraham Lincoln

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 04:36 PM

btw, I think SW-MOTECH must build the Kawasaki top rack...they look the same to me.
Does anyone know?
Gary

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're real" - Abraham Lincoln

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

Looked thru your photos, nice, Do you have any close up photos of the rack. All were too far away to see what it looks like. Neither the manufacture or the suppliers can come up w/ a photo. Does it look like the Ninja 650R? http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...view/3056/523/ and do you have to remove the passenger grab handles to install. I was hoping it would look like this http://sw-motech.de/index.php?sprach_id=1 the Quick-Lock Alu-Rack, if you page down you will see what I'm talking about.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 11:09 PM

The rack looks the same as the Ninja 650R. I'm out of town on a different bike, I'm almost sure I removed the grab rails..I'm sure the rack mount would serve the same purpose. The attached photos were on my computer...
Gary
Attached Images
File Type: jpg swm.jpg.JPG (78.8 KB, 374 views)
File Type: jpg sw.jpg.JPG (80.4 KB, 223 views)

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 08:48 AM

heres a quick and maybe a dumb question !! i just bought a rear stand and a set of swingarm spools . Now my question is the spools i got is for the zx model line and the spools dont bottom out before i ran out of threads, so are they supposed to float on the bolt and allowed to rotate ????? Im thinking not !! but this is my first stand & spools combo i have owned in my 30 plus years of riding . I know its a quick fix ..... just thread the bolt a little more or add a shim . Thanks for the help guys
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Gary, very helpful to see it. Your right, the rack appears to be providing pretty effective grab handles. Is that the SW-MOTECH Quick-Lock Contour Carrier for Givi V35 PLX cases also installed on the bike in the photograph. they appear to be mounted to the rear rack.

OXMAN, I can't speak to the spools yet, I have not received mine yet. I ordered the T-Rex Racing spools and stands like Stoned suggested. They appear to have a thru bolt for mounting in lieu of a fixed treaded stud like I have seen on other spools. I will let you know more later after I receive, however, and someone correct me, I don't thing they are suppose to be able to rotate.
kas
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-10-2008, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscalf View Post
Thanks Gary, very helpful to see it. Your right, the rack appears to be providing pretty effective grab handles. Is that the SW-MOTECH Quick-Lock Contour Carrier for Givi V35 PLX cases also installed on the bike in the photograph. they appear to be mounted to the rear rack.

OXMAN, I can't speak to the spools yet, I have not received mine yet. I ordered the T-Rex Racing spools and stands like Stoned suggested. They appear to have a thru bolt for mounting in lieu of a fixed treaded stud like I have seen on other spools. I will let you know more later after I receive, however, and someone correct me, I don't thing they are suppose to be able to rotate.
kas
See my pics in this thread:

http://forums.kawasakiversys.com/sho...7&postcount=15

And no - the spools don't rotate. They screw into the available mounts on the bike (I used medium strength locktite on them).

Enjoy!
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-10-2008, 11:56 AM

spool threads

Yes the spools bolts are 10mm and 1.25 pitch. This is a little finer pitch than the average 10mm bolt btw. I just spin in two cap bolts when I need to lift the back end then remove them when I'm done. Then there's nothing to get damaged, stolen or catch on any road debris.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-10-2008, 03:30 PM

Thanks for the info everyone , i was sure they should tighten up and not rotate , and i use blue locktight on most of my applications as well
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-10-2008, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

Lost, thanks for the photos, my stands are on the way. Couple of questions, are you leaving the spools in place all the time, I think they are sliders also. Do you wash your bike on the stands to help expedite getting to all the spokes, etc. Your bike looks like it just came out of the crate. The rear end of mine is difficult to keep clean, the front end not so much, of course it is a daily commute this summer, 2000 miles in a couple months.
kas
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-10-2008, 07:17 PM

T-Rex stand & spools

Here's a pic of t-rex stand and spools.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stand 002 (Medium).jpg (97.8 KB, 458 views)
File Type: jpg stand 003 (Medium).jpg (100.6 KB, 372 views)

Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

Stoned, did you tighten down your left hand spool, I did and broke the shoulder off the brittle plastic spool. The threaded tab welded to the swingarm to accept the spool is not in the same plane as the outside surface of the swing arm. Hind sight is 20-20, should have used some spacers so the spool had a flat plane to seat to, live and learn. Luckily it did not impact the function, the stands are awesome, the handle on the rear catches the so called "rat tail" w/ the reflector as you raise the bike, not an issue. Now I can really clean my bike up. Thanks for the recommendations guys.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBD34 View Post
The rack looks the same as the Ninja 650R.
But are not exactly the same. The holes that attach it to the subframe will not align correctly if you get the Ninja rack.

Gustavo
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 08:21 AM

To those who have the T-rex stands..

Are the rear stand's arm heights the same? I looked at mine last night (as I am getting ready to store the bike for winter) and realized that they are different heights?

I haven't had a chance to take it out to the bike yet to look at it, but it doesn't seem right.

Last edited by mrb42; 10-30-2008 at 09:27 AM.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 09:07 AM

I don't have the T-rex stand but the arms should be the same height so once you get the bike up on the stand it's level.

BTW - what are you doing putting the bike away for the winter? You've got plenty of good riding left in the season.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean View Post
I don't have the T-rex stand but the arms should be the same height so once you get the bike up on the stand it's level.

BTW - what are you doing putting the bike away for the winter? You've got plenty of good riding left in the season.

Compared to Canada... yea... I got a couple more days. I'm riding tomorrow... but I'm guessing that will be the last day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode