National Cycle V-Stream Windshield - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
National Cycle V-Stream Windshield

Has anyone tried this windshield on their Versys? It looks like it might actually provide quiet air for the rider. Anyone, Buler? Anyone?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg National Cycle V-Stream windshield $135.jpg (168.4 KB, 544 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 11:56 AM

Huh. It had better work pretty well, 'cause it's effin' homely. But if it works for tall-ish folk, I may bite. A cross-country solution would be nifty.

Jon
'09 Versys in Blue
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 12:25 PM

Give it a shot Aleeoop, let us know how it works. The thing about shields is, what works for one, may not work for someone else.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 01:07 PM

I have had this shield for about 8 months, and, like you, I bought it in hopes of reducing wind noise. Although the shield is significantly better than the stock shield, it did NOT reduce the wind noise. I live in Las Vegas and I like the shield because it does allow for some air flow around the torso which helps keep me cool. Also, it moves the air flow over my helmet so no more bugs splatter my face shield. For noise, I wear ear plugs. If I had to do it over again, I would probably buy a different shield.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 767hasbeen View Post
I have had this shield for about 8 months, and, like you, I bought it in hopes of reducing wind noise. Although the shield is significantly better than the stock shield, it did NOT reduce the wind noise. I live in Las Vegas and I like the shield because it does allow for some air flow around the torso which helps keep me cool. Also, it moves the air flow over my helmet so no more bugs splatter my face shield. For noise, I wear ear plugs. If I had to do it over again, I would probably buy a different shield.
Same experience here....plenty of wind noise from the air passing over my helmet. The flow from the screen hits me right at the top of my visor and is definitely the noise source. It might do better with a different helmet, but I don't know for sure. it provides a nice dead air space from chin to waist, about shoulder width, and let's my arms get some air, but not turbulent flow. I'd say it's better for shorter riders than taller ones (for reference, I'm 5'9" with a 32" inseam). IMHO, it works better than stock for road trips and it looks better than the medium CalSci barn door that I was using. No, the CalSci wasn't any quieter.

Last edited by MN_Smurf; 07-28-2010 at 01:19 PM.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 02:11 PM

I put 4 inch risers on the standard WS mounts and a filler underneath the V-Stream. Better, but a looooong ways from touring quality. I also added "wings" to the widest part; a bit of improvement but not the total answer. Am planning to add more width to the bottom to see if that helps??? If I can make good, will post pics!!
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleeoop View Post
Has anyone tried this windshield on their Versys? It looks like it might actually provide quiet air for the rider. Anyone, Buler? Anyone?
I have been using this windshield for last 6 months now, but i have streamlined it by using the Algard Windscreen brackets, to lay it back somewhat.

Works for me @ 6'-1"
Smooth air flow round helmet and no buffeting of the body as well. The best so far.

Richard

Last edited by TowerMan; 07-28-2010 at 04:12 PM.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 05:14 PM

I bought one and immediately decided it was too small upon arrival. When I tried to send it back they gave me the runaround but finally gave me a return authorization number but charged me a 20% "restocking fee", plus shipping both ways to take it back. Also, it took them almost 2 months to credit my account even though I contactacted them weekly. They tried telling me they hadn't received it yet several times after a month of contacting them. I had the FEDEX receipt in hand with the date delivered and they still denied it.

I will NEVER buy anything from National Cylce again. Terrible customer service.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 09:27 PM

I just installed the new v stream in the last couple of weeks.... thus far i think its a great addition and works extremly well . I started with the Givi shield which worked great until i installed hand grip guards. So i decided to try the Vario short shield which looks cool and works better than stock but too much helmet noise and buffeting for me . So next step was install the Allgaurd adjustable shield bracket which helped but still not the cats meow !!
So now im using the v stream & all guard bracket and i think i have come to a satisfactory combo ... No more helmet buffet ... no more bug splaters on my helmet shield and at last satisfaction and it works with the hand guards too . fyi im 5'7 145 lbs .... Sure it looks a little funky but hey it gives it that dual sport kinda look ...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

From what I'm gathering here, I think I'm going to go with a Madstad windshield adjusting system but I still need to decide on which taller than stock windshield. The Givi looks like it might bee a good choice and I know of a glass shop that can cut plexiglass (they helped me make a fairing for a roof rack I built). I would have them cut the lower corners off if when I add handguards. I would appreciate any suggestions for a windshield that works particularly well with the Madstad for those who have tried it. Thanks to all who have responded. This is a great forum!
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 07:05 AM

Im bored or not being able to make a decision on screen. Im 61 and am desperate to get something that will basically give me some clean air(and the passenger too if poss) but nobody seems to be able to give any info on which will actually work best - not having a pop at anyone here by the way, just seems to be the way it is.

Why is this so difficult???? It seems unbelievable that we all have to just shell out in the hope of getting the right one and if not, tough luck, try again and spend even more money in the process.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 07:58 AM

I've got Mike's windshield and so do my two sons. It is much taller than anything on the market. I think he's not making them at the moment but I'll see if I can find his email address.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor

Last edited by dallasdon; 04-10-2012 at 06:15 PM.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 10:07 AM

VStream

I'm 6'3" with 34 inseam. I got this windshield with high hopes but at the highest setting wind hit right in my faceshield, lots of head turbulence. I drilled 2 holes and moved windshield up. Now wind stream hits the top of my helmet, much better but not touring ready.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasdon View Post
I've got Mike's windshield and so do my two sons. It is much taller than anything on the market. I think he's not making them at the moment but I'll see if I can find his email address.
No problems with buffeting behind the large windshield?
Are you looking through Mike's windshield or over it?

I'm just experimenting with different windshields plus the Madstadt bracket and was thinking of ordering the V-Stream or maybe onr frome Mike's...
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 03:39 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Very happy with my VStream. I have it adjusted to completely shield my body. I prefer it set at middle height (i'm 6ft) so the wind strikes my helmet at the level of the chin bar. This is so I get cooling air in the helmet vents and avoid the buffeting you get when the wind strikes further up the helmet. IMO it is very effective, but still looks good on the bike and does not interfere with my hand guards. It is thicker and better made than the OEM windshield.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleeoop View Post
Has anyone tried this windshield on their Versys? It looks like it might actually provide quiet air for the rider. Anyone, Bueler? Anyone?
I've had one for two years now and I think it does the trick just fine.
It keeps my helmet face shield bug free.
Buffeting? what buffeting!
Contrary to others ...I think it looks great and fairly complements the unique lines of the bike. ( better than some of the 'walls -O-polycarb' many favor...but to each his own).
Crystal clear too...for when you find yourself in a ...high-speed tuck
As for wind noise; what helmet you wear is part of the equation but IMHO the 'V-Stream' makes a big difference.
But for all the constant searching for a quieter riding experience, one wonders if some would be better off driving a car.....LOL.
Your on a Motorcycle after-all.
Be well.
Ride safe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1020085.JPG (152.5 KB, 288 views)
File Type: jpg P1020016.JPG (413.3 KB, 227 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Aerodynamically sound since 1959. So says the good folk @ Lockheed, Atlanta GA.
The KLE 650 VERSYS: It can't replace the Love of a good woman but...

My Bike is my solitude amongst the multitudes

"Wounds heal, chicks dig scars...Glory, lasts forever!"
TRUE PATRIOTS QUESTION EVERYTHING

Last edited by stagehand38; 07-09-2011 at 04:28 PM.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 05:04 PM

I love my Madstrad & Cee Baileys (Tall one) windscreen. The compo is the best I have ever had on many bikes. No buffeting to speak of. In fact it is quiet enough that all the rattles from the suspension, engine noise, and fairing squeaks annoy me more.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegasus View Post
I love my Madstrad & Cee Baileys (Tall one) windscreen. The compo is the best I have ever had on many bikes. No buffeting to speak of. In fact it is quiet enough that all the rattles from the suspension, engine noise, and fairing squeaks annoy me more.
Again I'm curious, do you look through the tall Cee Baileys? Or do you have the Madstad set to a flat angle, thus looking over the top of the shield?
Thanks
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 08:54 PM

I'll take a picture. I look over it. My line of sight over the shield is about 25 to 30 feet in front of the bike.

Hope this helps.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 04:14 AM

Thank you for the picture, Pegasus! Better than any description.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode