• 2 Post By kawdog
  • 1 Post By turn8a
  • 2 Post By kawdog

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-29-2016, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
2015 OEM 47L Rack bracket & Base plate

I looked for pics on real bikes before I bought this and found very few so maybe this could help someone who may be on the fence.

I have no intentions to mount a top case but for just a general rack/ holding camping gear. I got it at a great deal. So it was more inexpensive than any other general purpose rack I saw and looks good when not I use.

It was fairly easy to set up, I am not terribly handy so it took me about 45min, should be more like 30min-ish. Instructions were good and had pictures!

I did notice it had some washers that allow some movement of the base plate/ rack. I talked to someone a bit more knowledgeable and they said it seems to be designed to move it bit. Hmmm... Anywho, thought I would share.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160129_114327.jpg (48.8 KB, 154 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160129_071512492.jpg (80.4 KB, 157 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160128_211432061.jpg (47.7 KB, 158 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160129_071427941.jpg (60.8 KB, 164 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160129_114007.jpg (124.2 KB, 435 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160128_211457020.jpg (57.7 KB, 137 views)
onewizard likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-29-2016, 07:21 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
The OEM Cases are made by GIVI

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-29-2016, 07:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Looks good. Why don't you want to mount a top case? They come in a lot of different sizes and are easy to put on and take off.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2016, 07:54 AM

Thanks for the photos. I was worrying about the SW-Motech rack but it seems to have the same footprint as the Givi rack and the SW-Motec adapter plate sits above the rack like the Givi rack. However it seems that the Givi rack has an extra aluminium layer between the base plate and the plastic adapter plate.

I had a problem with the SW-Rack as when it was fitted (I did not fit it) one the right rear bolt into the grab handle stripped the thread so I encountered tortional stress. I am about to re-thread with a HeliCoil as I need to use a specific size bolt because of the spacers required for the side rack mounting point. If that does not work I will have to replace the grab handle which is not cheap so make sure you apply the correct torque setting and use a thread locker fluid.

I think that alternate suppliers such as Touratech are stronger but are a lot more expensive for both rack and top box.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2016, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamG View Post
Thanks for the photos. I was worrying about the SW-Motech rack but it seems to have the same footprint as the Givi rack and the SW-Motec adapter plate sits above the rack like the Givi rack. However it seems that the Givi rack has an extra aluminium layer between the base plate and the plastic adapter plate.

I had a problem with the SW-Rack as when it was fitted (I did not fit it) one the right rear bolt into the grab handle stripped the thread so I encountered tortional stress. I am about to re-thread with a HeliCoil as I need to use a specific size bolt because of the spacers required for the side rack mounting point. If that does not work I will have to replace the grab handle which is not cheap so make sure you apply the correct torque setting and use a thread locker fluid.

I think that alternate suppliers such as Touratech are stronger but are a lot more expensive for both rack and top box.

I could see that happening . I mounted a sw aluminum top rack to my
2015. It was a tight fit. But I had no problems with the mounting .I used the givi adapter plate "mono lock " from my 2008 versys with no problems.
AdamG likes this.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2016, 11:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Maybe someday, right now with the camping setup I have it works best to have no luggage there. It works perfect to stack and extend the gear I need.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2016, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slodirtgirl View Post
Maybe someday, right now with the camping setup I have it works best to have no luggage there. It works perfect to stack and extend the gear I need.
Your bike looks good and almost built around your Givi bags: they blend in so nice. If the saddlebags do the job alone, then I would not add more wind blocks with an additional trunk unless you need it. Your only problem now will be cars in front of you hitting their brakes because you look like a cop cycle.

What kind of wheel rim reflectors are those? TIA

AdamG and Slodirtgirl like this.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-01-2016, 11:56 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thank you for the compliment. I really dig this bike. I plan a few mods here and there but nothing to take away from the bike.

The graphics I got of Ebay from cgd_graphics on eBay

It was a pack, to make 4 stripes on each rim but I liked the look of just 3. I had extra and added some to my squidly dark helmet.
I am happy with the decals. They look good, reflect well and went on easy. I have only had them on 5 rides or so, so time will tell how durable they will be with some seasons on them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160121_210431160.jpg (29.8 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160201_214906.jpg (32.6 KB, 54 views)
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2016, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turn8a View Post
I could see that happening . I mounted a sw aluminum top rack to my
2015. It was a tight fit. But I had no problems with the mounting .I used the givi adapter plate "mono lock " from my 2008 versys with no problems.
I chose the SW-Motech rack and Pannier frames for three reasons:

(a) the flexibility in obtaining adapter plates to mount a variety of boxes from different manufactures. I run SW-Motech, Hepco & Becker and Givi
(b) They have adapters for the rack for mounting a tank bag and an wide extension plate for soft or roll luggage.
(c) The side pannier frames can be removed in 30 seconds so you don't have to travel around with the frames when the side panniers are not mounted.

However, they do have a restriction on the weight on the rack but I don't know anyone who follows the manufactuers restrictions.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2016, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamG View Post

However, they do have a restriction on the weight on the rack but I don't know anyone who follows the manufactuers restrictions.
You have that right.Brought back memories.I remember strapping a 1/4 keg on the back rack on my friends Honda 550 four in the 70's.
AdamG likes this.

Last edited by turn8a; 02-02-2016 at 05:30 AM.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2016, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slodirtgirl View Post
Thank you for the compliment. I really dig this bike. I plan a few mods here and there but nothing to take away from the bike.

The graphics I got of Ebay from cgd_graphics on eBay

It was a pack, to make 4 stripes on each rim but I liked the look of just 3. I had extra and added some to my squidly dark helmet.
I am happy with the decals. They look good, reflect well and went on easy. I have only had them on 5 rides or so, so time will tell how durable they will be with some seasons on them.
I like the artistic 3, instead of 4 stripes. It looks cleaner, clearer, and hides any alignment imperfections inherent with installing the rim sticker pieces.

May I steal your idea, if my 3m 1/4" 50' roll does not work out? I have a roll installer on the way too to help remove any skill level I don't have :-) At least this time I've got my front and rear pitbull stands to help out installing them.

And don't clean your wheel with WD40! It is easy, but will dry your plastic wheel stickers out (solvent). I'm going to the auto store and may (?) get wheel cleaner for clear coated mags, but soap, water, and a rag may work as well too (if it costs too much.) Some reviews seem to indicate the wheel brushes just flick dirty fluid in your face and the mild wheel cleaners do not do any more than soap, water, and a rag.

Your bike looks perfect red spring and all. Drive Safe!
onewizard and Slodirtgirl like this.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-03-2016, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post
...And don't clean your wheel with WD40! It is easy, but will dry your plastic wheel stickers out (solvent)....
I've been cleaning the wheels on my '08 w/ WD40 for 7.5 years, and (SO FAR...!) none of my wheel 'stripes' have dried out.

Here's my wheel stripes last Thursday....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-05-2016, 11:09 AM

Would you mind posting pictures without the side cases? I got the regular ABS model and thinking of adding the top box rack but it's hard to tell what it will look like because I've only seen it on bikes with side cases
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode