Tilt the windshield - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tilt the windshield

I bought a Givi windshield and was pretty happy w/ it but still caught a lot of wind about halfway up the helmet.

While I had the fairing apart to install foam tape to stop the buzzing I picked up 4 nylon washers & 4 neoprene washers from the local hardware store.

I stacked 2 nylon washers under the rear hole of the windshield bracket on each side, to tilt the windshield forward. I topped it off w/ a neoprene washer and added a neoprene washer to the front hole to cushion
a little when I tightened down so I wouldn't break the bracket.

This has lifted the wind to hit just at the top of the helmet, and is noticeably quieter.

Cheaper than buying another windshield and just about right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 10:41 AM

Sounds like a great idea - where are the pics?

On the MRA Vario windshield - the kit includes two 5/8" rubber spacers for the bottom of the shield and two 1/4" spacers for the top to give a nice tilt. I'm wondering if this is something similiar to what you have done.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean View Post

On the MRA Vario windshield - the kit includes two 5/8" rubber spacers for the bottom of the shield and two 1/4" spacers for the top to give a nice tilt. I'm wondering if this is something similiar to what you have done.
I got everything put back together before I thought about pics.

I'll try to get back into it this week.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 10:39 PM

Sounds like a great idea. I also have the Givi and find that, while it helps, it's still pretty loud. If tilting it forward helps I'm down with that. Photos will be great. If I understand it, however, you have the brackets with the stock rubber washers on top and bottom. On the top holes you add two nylon washers and a neoprene washer, then the windshield, then another neoprene. Is that right? (Bracket, nylon, nylon, neoprene, windshield, neoprene)

A diamond is just a hunk of coal
that didn't quit under pressure
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docteric View Post
Sounds like a great idea. I also have the Givi and find that, while it helps, it's still pretty loud. If tilting it forward helps I'm down with that. Photos will be great. If I understand it, however, you have the brackets with the stock rubber washers on top and bottom. On the top holes you add two nylon washers and a neoprene washer, then the windshield, then another neoprene. Is that right? (Bracket, nylon, nylon, neoprene, windshield, neoprene)
Actually, I tilted the whole bracket - not just the windshield.

I put the nylon washers under the rear holes to tilt the bracket
where it attaches to the frame.

I didn't alter where the windshield attaches to the bracket. It would have been
easier, but I didn't want the parts visible. (probably wouldn't have seen it, but
I thought it might bother me).

I'll try to get some pics this evening.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 02:54 PM

I took my Givi off a couple of weeks ago for two reasons, heat and noise.

Last night I put the Givi back on and tilted the screen forward by using neoprene grommets behind the screen (middle position). Riding in today the noise is some what better but still there. At lunch I went out and swapped everything around to make the screen tilt back Ė much better! The only time I was getting the booming noise sound is when the cross winds were hitting me. Riding with or against the wind the booming was gone and all I heard was the wind passing the helmet. I will try the top and bottom positions this weekend.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean View Post

OMG - I thought it was the other way around and but the big spacers on the top holes and the short ones on the bottom - going to have to try it the other way too. I couldn't figure out from the "instructions" which way they were supposed to go.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscar.45 View Post
. At lunch I went out and swapped everything around to make the screen tilt back Ė much better! .

OK, now I'm totally confused (a fairly typical state for me).

So while PharmaSYSt tilted the windshield forward by putting extra washers on the rear bracket bolts, you tipped it backward by putting extra washers on the bottom windshield bolts?

Photos, boys, photos (for us folks without an imagination).

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 12:07 PM

Hey Docteric, I ended up removing the Givi again and putting back on the stock screen. The modification work sort-of. When the air density changed due to a storm the noise got worse. I will post pictures of what I did tonight or tomorrow. At work right now and donít have a camera.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 09:20 PM

PharmaSYST - How thick did your washers end up? Was it an eighth of an inch or so?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode