Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Why does the US get certain bikes last or not at all?

13K views 50 replies 31 participants last post by  blahwas 
#1 ·
Reading the threads regarding the Versys 1000, and threads on other fora about the 2012 Ninja 650s, I'm coming across a common complaint: Why does the US get certain models of bikes well after they've been released in the rest of the world?

The new Versys 1000 is apparently not hitting the US until 2013, but it will be available in Canada early in 2012 if not already?

I know Kawasaki built a special website to hype the newly-redesigned Ninja 650 for 2012, and it's certainly worked well on me because I'm really wanting a 2012 Ninja 650, but apparently they are damned hard to find in the US. Most dealerships tell me they won't get the new Ninjas until March at the earliest. Is this related to the tsunami and the damage it caused?

Another thing that sort of annoys me is that the rest of the world gets all these cool bikes, but they never make it to the US. I'd love a Ninja 400, but no, we aren't getting them in the US.

Checking the UK websites, here are some bikes that aren't going to be sent to the US:

-- Honda's Crossrunner -- which would be a direct competitor to the Versys, IMHO.
-- Honda's Varadero and Transalp
-- Kawasaki's W800 - sort of reminiscent of the cafe racers
-- Yamaha's YZF-R125 - would be an awesome track bike for a short adult like me!
-- Yamaha's MT-03 - another competitor for the Versys?
-- Suzuki's GSR 750 and Bandit 650

I know: First World problem. But still, it sucks that there are all these cool bikes being made, and I'll never get the chance to have one.

See less See more
#3 ·
Crossrunner: I haven't tried one yet. Will probably do next spring. But it's a pretty heavy bike for its class. Not sure you're missing anything there

Varadero: a thirsty, lardy, heavy pig. You wouldn't want it :D

Transalp: great little bike. And probably one of the best competitors for the V.

Kawa W800: haven't even seen one yet in real life so can't really comment

Yamaha YZF-R125: the sportiest 4-stroke 125 you can buy. But not really much better than the Honda CBR125R. Definitely not powerful enough for a track day. You'd be better of with a CB500 with upgraded brakes and springs.

Yamaha MT-03: absolutely great fun! Not really a competitor to the V though. It feels a lot less powerful. But it is so much fun to ride on tight twisty roads. You are sitting very close to the handle bars, feels almost like you're directly above the front wheel. So it steers soooo light and razor sharp. But not enough power for 2-up, not as comfy as the V on longer trips either and small fuel tank.

Suzuki GSR 750: a decent bike, and cheap. But it shows in the finishing. a lot of the wiring in the front is really exposed and the paint quality is not exactly top notch.

Bandit 650: very decent and capable bike. For smaller people probably a good alternative to the V.

But I think the coolest bike you guys aren't getting is the XT660Z Tenere. I did 30000km on mine before it got stolen and it is just an awesome bike. Eats miles and miles of twisty tarmac roads, hardly consumes any fuel of the 23l tank. You can go 450-500km before you'll run out. Put some knobbys on and it is perfectly capable of handling single track muddy lanes or desert trails. The plastic drop protection works perfectly and is very cheap to replace. That bike would imho be an instant hit among the ADV crowd in the states.
But Yamaha apparently doesn't believe in it.
Same for the TDM900 actually, which they have been ignoring for years now. Hasn't had a real upgrade since it was introduced back in 2001. Has even never been sold in the US. Nevertheless it was a top seller in some European countries. And after 75000km on one I can honestly say it is an awesome bike and a direct competitor to the V. Can't even remember how many times I embarrassed the one-piece-leather CBR20000RRRRRRR-Ultrapower-Iridium-visor crowd on twisty mountain roads with it.

I think it is because the US market is still just too preoccupied with Harleys and super sports bikes.

#10 · (Edited)
Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki and Kawasaki have a lot of cruiser models for sale in North America that are not available elsewhere. The cruiser market is unique to the US and almost as big in Canada. In Europe they are a small niche market and are not even available elsewhere in the world. Outside North America HD is a niche brand like Moto Guzzi is here. We get cruiser models, they get more models of other styles of bikes.

Ultimately Kawasaki Canada, Kawasaki US, Kawasaki UK, etc. are the ones who decide what bikes to import into their home countries based on what they think the market wants. I suspect Kawasaki US wants to see how well the Versys 1000 sells elsewhere before they invest.

Before anyone bitches too much ;) , I live in Canada and bought my 08 Versys slightly used from Maryland and then paid $800 extra to import it. Why? Because you guys in the US have way better (33% less) used bike prices and new US prices are much less too. Even though the CAN and US dollars are valued almost the same, the MSRPs are slightly lower in the US. Dealers here sell at MSRP unless there is a manufacturer discount for a previous years model. In the US dealers will sell for sometimes thousands off the MSRP.

#14 ·
Before anyone bitches too much ;) , I live in Canada and bought my 08 Versys slightly used from Maryland and then paid $800 extra to import it. Why? Because you guys in the US have way better (33% less) used bike prices and new US prices are much less too. Even though the CAN and US dollars are valued almost the same, the MSRPs are slightly lower in the US. Dealers here sell at MSRP unless there is a manufacturer discount for a previous years model. In the US dealers will sell for sometimes thousands off the MSRP.
Does it work the other way around? Can someone buy a bike in Canada (one that's not available in the US) and bring it into the US? I recall that the feds didn't like it when some folks here in the SW were buying and importing Mexico-manufactured VW Bugs in the 1980s and 1990s. They were all impounded on the premise that they were unsafe for the US market.

#13 ·
It's all market forces, as has been mentioned. Bikes are largely toys in this country, and sell more on image than capability. It takes a rare confluence of factors to make a bike outside the cruiser or sportbike mold a success in the States. Regulations make a difference, too. 125 road bikes work in other countries because of graduated licensing, displacement-based insurance tiers, and/or import restrictions, none of which we have to deal with. The Ninja 400 you mention is the same weight as the 650 while not being much less money, and costs Kawasaki the same to produce. No reason to homologate and market it in a country where no viable market exists, and therefore are no sales to be had. Models that do get here take a bit longer because of federalization (unless they're designed primarily for this market). Might as well roll something out where it'll sell best as soon as it's ready, and get to your secondary markets later.

I get your frustration, though; it's frustrating to see other kids playing with all the cool toys. At least we can console ourselves with the fact that the bikes we can get cost us proportionally less, and that much of the cool factor in stuff we can't have lies in the fact that we can't have it. Oh, and you can get a Bandit 650. They just call it the GSX650F here. Ditto the W800, though it'll be a W650 and it'll be used.

#15 ·
Marketing guys say what can and can't sell here based on whatever they call research.

The thing that gets me is that they bring a red Versys in for 2011 and don't sell the red handguards to go with it. Had to order mine from the UK. But they did offer the red Givi bag covers. Go Figure.

I would buy a W800 if it came to the states. The W650s are selling for way more than I would be willing to pay for a small carb bike.

If Kawasaki would put a bright color on the Concours I would buy one. Might pick up a 2011 used one if I can get it for low enough to justify a repaint.

#16 ·
Dealers

Marketing and Sales guys get the feedback from the dealers and decide to bring over what the dealers think would sell. With the exception of BMW motorad dealer network, motorcycle dealers do not know how to sell bikes like the Versys. It is easier to sell chrome, noise, attitude, or prestige than to sell performance, ergonomics, and value.

Going back to the motorcycles as toys. Dealers in the US are not selling motorcycles they sell lifestyle choices. The basic rationale, and any martketing guy can confirm this, is when you sell lifestyle the value proposition goes out of the door therefore, and I do not always agree with this, improves profit margins.

HD is the king of motorcycle marketing and every other manufacturer tag along the investment HD makes in the HD lifestyle by putting products for the same market segment. Even Honda was sued by HD at one time for copying the sound of the HD engine. HD lost the lawsuit since a sound cannot be trademarked or patented. That is why cruisers rule in the US. If BMW spend as much marketing dollars (their market segment in the US is much smaller) in the adventure touring bike segment as HD spends on cruisers there would be a larger awareness and market for bikes like the versys therefore more options.

The supersport bike phenomenom has to do, again, with image and attitude. How many more Hayabusas were sold after the moview Biker Boyz came out? How many more black Ducati 996 were sold after the Trinity rode in one in the movie the Matrix?

My experience when I bought my Versys supports how ignorant are many dealers about the products they sell. The guy who sold me my 08 Versys had not clue what he was selling. He just told me that the guy who rode for only 1,000 before he traded it for a Victory had a back problem and the riding position did not suit him well. I got a fully loaded bike with a very steep discount. If the guy knew he was selling the 2008 motorcycle of the year and one of the best values in motorcycles anywhere he could have make more money out of it.

Anyway enough with the rambling about this.

Kawasaki if you are listening, there is a very good market for the Versys 1000. But only if you educate the dealers and spent some marketing money. I love my 650. However, I am in need of what the Versys 1000 offers in extra comfort and power for two up riding. If you decide to bring it over you might have one already sold. If you wait too long I might need to go shopping somewhere else.

#18 ·
Just look at the insurance for motorcycles they are considered leisure vehicles and fall in the same class as atvs,motor homes,jet skis and golf carts. Not to mention the push to make these vehicle more environmentally friendly especially in California. The 2008 versys could not even be sold new here because the emission standards. Then fact that 95% of motorcycle riders only ride when the weather is good and the sun is out. (damn Harley rubs)

You see it every winter the used bikes hit craigslist and dealer floors. Then dealers have bunch of used bikes and they don't sell as many used bikes so they do not order new ones form the factory and that hurts new bike sales then when spring rolls around there is not enough new available because for the past four or five months they have not been ordering from the factory. The factory has allocated less to make and ey send those to markets where they.
Can make the most money and it's not in the U.S.

#21 ·
Market is consumer driven and some makes dont make it into US as there might be a low demand. Not that the bike is not good or people dont like the bike, but its the volume & cost factor.

You are always welcomed to have a ride here where we have all the models in the world. Our Government bought a Italy Motorcycle plant for a few million and sold it for Euro $1.00. We are that good in biking.

http://anilnetto.com/governance/acc...augusta-for-1-euro-harley-buys-it-for-us109m/

:cheers:

#22 ·
It doesn't take long to see that there's a lot of Harley hate on this forum...yet the same people seem to be reluctant to apply the poser label to the many owners of BMW GS and other 'adventure bikes' who never take them off pavement. Same thing can be said for people who buy Ducatis for the cool factor.

Every fall I join a group of very experienced riders for a few days of spirited riding in the Blue Ridge area on NC. They ride Triumph Tigers, Speed Triples, BMWs, FJRs, Ducatis, and other similar bikes. Several of them also own Harleys...and they certainly aren't posers. They are excellent riders who enjoy a variety of motorcycles. In fact, they prefer their Harleys for long distance touring.

In respect to why certain models aren't offered in the USA...the answer is market dynamics.

In spite of the Versys love on this forum...several forum members have announced that they bought their Vs at deep discounts as left-over units...some bikes had sat unsold at dealers for two years. Would a larger displacement version of the same model pump up sales? Perhaps...but dealers would probably prefer to put their resources toward less risky bets.

IMO...the Versys is a very functional bike...I hardly think it (or the new 1000cc model) is the 'holy grail' of motorcycling.

#24 ·
Well put.

I am planning a 3 week trip this summer and am still debating on whether to ride the Versys or my Vulcan Nomad. The Nomad definitely offers better long distance comfort with varying foot and seating positions. The Versys offers the fun factor when I get on the mountain twisties.

I like what Yamaha did with the Super Tenere where if you want one you order it. If kawasaki offered that with the W800 I would have one on order.

The only reason I own Vulcan Cruisers over HD cruisers is because I don't care for HD's marketing strategy and the image they are trying to portray.

But, to say that Harley riders are posers is ludicrous. I see many more Harleys and cruisers when I am out riding and touring than any other bike including Goldwings, Adventure bikes, and sport bikes. Especially when the weather isn't favorable for the weekend warrior. I also know there are a lot of sport bikes where I live that may be ridden one saturday a month with a total of 1000 miles a year.

It really doesn't matter what kind of bike it is. There are those who ride and those who play. I rode 24,000 miles in 2011 and average 20,000 miles a year on two wheels.

When a dealer sells all he has of a particular bike, he orders more. When he still has previous year model bikes on the floor he doesn't order more. Unfortunately, that makes him reactive instead of proactive.

Personally, I wouldn't buy a 4 cylinder Versys. I like the low end torque of the twins and very seldom do I ride near redline.

#27 ·
I am not knowledgable of the US scene, but from what i have personally observed and experienced here in my country, our HOGs are are pretty st*ck up bunch who lives in their own world.

Although there are some exception to a few owners who are actually nice folks and owns a few other type of rides at the same time but suffice for me to say that most run-of-the-mill HOGs are snobbish hooligans. Dangerously blocking my right of way to let their small convoy pass, makes me turn from couldnt-care-less to downright displeasure and disgusted.

#28 ·
Just as an anecdote... I saw the Versys for the first time on the web. When I visited theKawasaki rep here in Peru they did not have any bike in exhibition, they just sell bikes under orders... I used a trip to Orlando, Fl. to visit a Kawi dealer where they had several Versys, I could see it and test it, good! After that, head back to Peru I placed my order.
Peruvian Rep also brings Bajaj motorcycles from India. That brand is what makes them make money because they are cheap and sell for hundreds. The sad thing here is that they have a great brand as Kawasaki but do not offer anything; the technical service is lousy and do not have the equipment or trained personnel to provide technical service to the bikes.
What bikes they sell here from Kawi? Just few Versys (I think there are just 3) and much more KLR's... that's it.

#30 ·
I just think you lot in America should be more grateful for what you do get for the prices you pay. For instance, isn't an XT1200Z Super tenere about $13,500 in the States ? Well, they are £13,500 here in the UK which equates to about $21k. I know which side of the coin I'd rather have.

#35 ·
It might exist...but I can't think of a country that has lower motorcycle prices than the USA. I think we also enjoy an abundance of brand and model choices.

Wanting what we can't have seems to be part of human nature. However, the professed purchase of the unattainable doesn't always translate into sales when the object of desire becomes available.

#36 ·
While there are a few models I'd like to have a shot at test riding & maybe buying. I'm happy with the USA market. I've benefitted by not having to pay MSRP for any of my bikes. Usually by the time they are available here the bugs in the new models are worked out.

#38 ·
I wish that were the case. riding classes in my country are still seriously sub-par compared to the neighboring countries. After only 6 hours of practice and an exam with some very basic test you get your license.

Most people I ride with understand the need for continuous training and we follow advanced riding courses at least once every year. Those who don't think they need it -I'm sorry to say- are again:
- the guys on the powerbikes (sports bikes and power nakeds): because obviously they ride way too good to need any training
- the guys on the cruisers: because they never ride hard, so nothing can happen to them

Filtering and lane splitting has only recently been legalized. Before, the cops mostly let you get away with it though.

The awareness of the tin can drivers has improved greatly the past few years, a lot of them now actually use their mirrors and indicators and make room for bikes. But there's still plenty of ignorant asshats on the road.

#46 · (Edited)
Not exactly import duty, but some other form of duty and taxes (rose still smells the same by any other name). Funny, when our neighbour down south dont, our neighbour up north is the assembler for kawasaki (including the versys we're riding) and they get tax breaks and we're supposed to be in some cooperative economic free-trade agreement that allows tax-free movement of goods.

Either way, the fact remains that we have to fork out more than 10 times the average gross monthly pay of an average joe here, for a ninja 250r no less. For my versys, i'm paying for it with slightly 1/4 of my pay for a total of 5 years repayment. Such figures would be absurd in the States.

Last but not least, a riding acquaintance of mine who regularly comes back to malaysia (he owns a gun shop in colorado i think) has a Bandit and a Hayabusa over in the States but only keeps a 150cc moped here, bcoz he's just unwilling to pay ridiculous tax!

So, Americans might not have all the bikes in the world, but at least they're not being made to fork hefty amount of money just to own a bike.

#48 ·
4 years? most ppl i know takes 7-9 years! lolz.

#51 · (Edited)
I've ridden a W800, and that's an awesome bike. Really feels special, and brings a smile to all the faces you pass. Do something bad in traffic, and no one will be pi..ed off. They'd rather start a conversation (in Germany!) about how old it is, how long you restored it, etc :) Sadly, it's limited to 48 HP because of European beginner license rules. I hope Kawa will release on unrestricted version sometime soon.

Transalp is plain old boring, the enginehasn't been upgraded in 20 years or so. Might be nice for deserts, but not roads. The F800GS basically annihilated its sales.

Look up CB1100F to get really envious of the Japanese.

And then there are lots of 250 and 400 cc bikes not imported to Europe. Fireblade 250 doing 19000 rpm :)

So, why's that? As cmoreride said, US market is currently broken. For this and other reasons they figured they won't sell many. On the other hand, they probably just can't make enough new models (Versys 1000 etc) for a worldwide launch. Nothing worth than launching a bike and not being able to deliver it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.