Speedy's flatfoot for lowered bikes - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 8Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 02:03 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
kawdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 1,596
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Speedy's flatfoot for lowered bikes

I haven't seen any actual pics of bikes or threads talking about flatfoots, but if it makes the sidestand any more stable, then it sounds like a good idea to me. Although if it is sitting on the edge of the plane, then it may be unstable as well. I guess that's the trick, is to always leave it secure on a larger base for stability. $40 extra for a more stable side stand sounds like a deal to me: I don't really like sidestands too much except for convenience anyway.

And then again, if no one else uses them, then the stock style tube may be inherently better for flexibility of ground surfaces and/or up in the reclined position??

Anyone got any pics of flat foots on their bike, or pics on any bike will do. I am more interested on how it looks in the UP position and how it intersects with the other assemblies on the bike (things are real tight around the sidestand up, and it's hard to picture a mini Frisbee down there.) AS WELL, if you glue it level, will if fit well UP sliced in at that particular angle? I did not see any pics on Speedy's site with the side stand up: or anyone who has said they used it after reading about over 50 posts.

Sorry for the stupid questions, but I'm about to put it on and am nervous about ANYTHING NOW that I'm the first one doing anything. Being a Pioneer sux big time - $$$$!!


Thanks!!

Last edited by kawdog; 01-06-2016 at 02:11 AM.
kawdog is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 03:06 AM
Member
 
MaverickAus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Coffs Harbour, NSW, Australia
Posts: 2,039
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage



MaverickAus is offline  
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 06:44 AM
Member
 
saddlebag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Eutopia
Posts: 1,883
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post
I haven't seen any actual pics of bikes or threads talking about flatfoots, but if it makes the sidestand any more stable, then it sounds like a good idea to me. Although if it is sitting on the edge of the plane, then it may be unstable as well. I guess that's the trick, is to always leave it secure on a larger base for stability. $40 extra for a more stable side stand sounds like a deal to me: I don't really like sidestands too much except for convenience anyway.

And then again, if no one else uses them, then the stock style tube may be inherently better for flexibility of ground surfaces and/or up in the reclined position??

Anyone got any pics of flat foots on their bike, or pics on any bike will do. I am more interested on how it looks in the UP position and how it intersects with the other assemblies on the bike (things are real tight around the sidestand up, and it's hard to picture a mini Frisbee down there.) AS WELL, if you glue it level, will if fit well UP sliced in at that particular angle? I did not see any pics on Speedy's site with the side stand up: or anyone who has said they used it after reading about over 50 posts.

Sorry for the stupid questions, but I'm about to put it on and am nervous about ANYTHING NOW that I'm the first one doing anything. Being a Pioneer sux big time - $$$$!!


Thanks!!
It works fine and is big enough that it isn't liable to melt too deep into hot asphalt, but it's also big enough that it scrapes in corners. Once it does there is no give to it. Stay hard on it and it will lift the rear wheel up in a corner. For any who might be wondering, that's not a good thing...
saddlebag is offline  
 
post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 07:41 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Reading, Pa
Posts: 697
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I have one on my 2008.And just put one on my 2015.The bikes are not lowered.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image1 (1).jpg (17.5 KB, 49 views)
turn8a is online now  
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 07:56 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
kawdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 1,596
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlebag View Post
It works fine and is big enough that it isn't liable to melt too deep into hot asphalt, but it's also big enough that it scrapes in corners. Once it does there is no give to it. Stay hard on it and it will lift the rear wheel up in a corner. For any who might be wondering, that's not a good thing...


WHOA! What a shovel scraper! Thanks guys!! My big azz would be dug in at every corner apex

Yeah, I was thinking Honda Gal being a track racer too, is usually right-on with her performance assessments. I'm not lowering the front end either, because the 17" tire is dicey low-handling enough for me the way it is stock; and 1.6" (rear only) lowered is good enough for me versus 1.85" (front and rear) lowered (and Joe says so anyway :-) In fact, I would almost like an 18" front wheel, but lowering the rear only should help the front leaning feeling anyway. The sitting back should also help sitting ergonomics (and make it feel more like a flat-track race bike: i.e. - Ron Woods, ha ha.) I'm glad I asked. EVERY oem spec change needs countless verifications in every dimension! I had to read a lot of "good quality, feels good, and quick shipping" posts to find the good handling ones: but they were there thank goodness.

Thanks again Guys (you too Honda Gal!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by turn8a View Post
I have one on my 2008.And just put one on my 2015.The bikes are not lowered.
That sounds like a good alternative too (if I had a 34" inseam :-) I'm looking forward to the lower center of gravity and improved seating position. Thank goodness there is enough knowledgeable feedback on this site to figure what every different person needs to fit their own unique body.

Last edited by kawdog; 01-06-2016 at 08:15 AM.
kawdog is offline  
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 12:17 AM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kitchener Ontario
Posts: 7,097
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickAus View Post

[IMG]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f155/MavsPics]
I have exactly what you have, Speedy's lowered footpeg and flatfoot on a Speedy lowering link. I have had the total weight of the bike on that stand-----not intentionally---just saying, also my prop stand works perfectly with the flatfoot for front or rear tire.
onewizard is offline  
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 12:34 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
kawdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 1,596
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
I have exactly what you have, Speedy's lowered footpeg and flatfoot on a Speedy lowering link. I have had the total weight of the bike on that stand-----not intentionally---just saying, also my prop stand works perfectly with the flatfoot for front or rear tire.
And it looks good and was shipped fast too, but that is not what the issue is.

I have almost all of Speedy's Vs. 650 items except for the cruiser pegs. But I'm going to pass on the flat foot in favor of Ninja oem race bike engineering in this case: due to recommendations and empirical evidence from top knowledgeable racing posters here.
(Almost $20 for good 2012 Ninja stand, spring, nut, and bolt)

It's just preference though: nothing wrong with either choice. I am heavier like Saddlebag though, so I want to reduce the chance of scraping. Lighter owners like Maverick do not have anything to worry about concerning scraping.

Last edited by kawdog; 01-07-2016 at 12:44 AM.
kawdog is offline  
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 12:11 PM
Member
 
Cheftyler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 481
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post
And it looks good and was shipped fast too, but that is not what the issue is.

I have almost all of Speedy's Vs. 650 items except for the cruiser pegs. But I'm going to pass on the flat foot in favor of Ninja oem race bike engineering in this case: due to recommendations and empirical evidence from top knowledgeable racing posters here.
(Almost $20 for good 2012 Ninja stand, spring, nut, and bolt)

It's just preference though: nothing wrong with either choice. I am heavier like Saddlebag though, so I want to reduce the chance of scraping. Lighter owners like Maverick do not have anything to worry about concerning scraping.
I have the Ninja stand WITH the flatfoot (currently not installed as I haven't had time to get the lowering link installed) as the foot portion of the Ninja stand is the same as the V650 foot and is rather useless. The Ninja stand is just shorter to match the lowered height.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cheftyler is offline  
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kitchener Ontario
Posts: 7,097
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheftyler View Post
I have the Ninja stand WITH the flatfoot (currently not installed as I haven't had time to get the lowering link installed) as the foot portion of the Ninja stand is the same as the V650 foot and is rather useless. The Ninja stand is just shorter to match the lowered height.
I tossed that idea around as to restoring my bike to original, after several mods I threw that idea out the door and used my trusty hacksaw on the original stand exactly as in the picture.
When it comes time to sell the bike, somebody else can worry about changing it back, as the stand is only used when the bike is parked, my preference is to be riding the bike with the stand up.
onewizard is offline  
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 02:33 PM
Member
 
weljo2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Norwalk CA
Posts: 15,591
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I have an extra one of these minus the cord and fastener laying in a drawer if you want it.

Untitled by weljo2001, on Flickr

Untitled by weljo2001, on Flickr
kawdog likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Video Channel
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Photos...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
weljo2001 is offline  
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
kawdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 1,596
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
I have an extra one of these minus the cord and fastener laying in a drawer if you want it.

Untitled by weljo2001, on Flickr

Untitled by weljo2001, on Flickr
No thanks Joe! I had a stock Kawasaki plastic green one from the PO. I appreciate the offer though. It looks like a pain to dick with, but if you don't have any choice, they are probably good to keep on hand. When I had my Norton Commandos with terrible long drooping kickstands, i used to use flattened Coke cans, lol. We've come a long way since then

Joe, you don't need to buy a stinkin' BMW: you already got one! Save your money and enjoy the Japanese cycles.

Last edited by kawdog; 01-07-2016 at 03:38 PM.
kawdog is offline  
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 04:10 PM
Member
 
weljo2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Norwalk CA
Posts: 15,591
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post
No thanks Joe! I had a stock Kawasaki plastic green one from the PO. I appreciate the offer though. It looks like a pain to dick with, but if you don't have any choice, they are probably good to keep on hand. When I had my Norton Commandos with terrible long drooping kickstands, i used to use flattened Coke cans, lol. We've come a long way since then

Joe, you don't need to buy a stinkin' BMW: you already got one! Save your money and enjoy the Japanese cycles.

Well i've come to the conclusion that I'm pretty happy with the FJR and will keep it for awhile.
kawdog likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Video Channel
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Photos...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
weljo2001 is offline  
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 09:09 AM
Member
 
Cheftyler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 481
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
I tossed that idea around as to restoring my bike to original, after several mods I threw that idea out the door and used my trusty hacksaw on the original stand exactly as in the picture.
When it comes time to sell the bike, somebody else can worry about changing it back, as the stand is only used when the bike is parked, my preference is to be riding the bike with the stand up.
Oh, I have no desire to return the bike to stock when I get around to selling it, this method was just less of a PITA for me


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cheftyler is offline  
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-09-2016, 04:45 AM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 1,458
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
here is my Speedy's Flat Foot



Also Speedy's Highway peg mounts:
saddlebag likes this.
Gigitt is offline  
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-09-2016, 05:21 AM
Member
 
saddlebag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Eutopia
Posts: 1,883
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigitt View Post
Also Speedy's Highway peg mounts:
I have the same setup, I love highway bars, but wish Speedy made a smaller version of the flatfoot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160109_061250.jpg (50.6 KB, 40 views)
saddlebag is offline  
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-09-2016, 07:06 AM
Member
 
E327's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: North Ga.
Posts: 356
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Speedy's flatfoot for lowered bikes

I finally converted to Speedy's flat foot and wouldn't think about ever changing back. It doesn't sink when I park the bike and has never given me a problem going through the twisties. Highly recommended! Speedy's highway bars look like a possible future addition. My bike is just lowered in the back with Speedy's lowering kit. I chose not to drop the front and it has worked out very well.


Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Last edited by E327; 01-09-2016 at 07:09 AM.
E327 is offline  
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-09-2016, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator
 
fasteddiecopeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kelowna, BC - summer; Florence, AZ - winter
Posts: 17,689
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlebag View Post
...but wish Speedy made a smaller version of the flatfoot.
Wouldn't that just negate the whole idea, making it smaller? I use a 4x4" piece of aluminum on a string, that fits into my vest pocket.







Co$t about a buck to make....

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
fasteddiecopeman is offline  
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-09-2016, 01:24 PM
Member
 
saddlebag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Eutopia
Posts: 1,883
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Co$t about a buck to make....
I didn't buy it because it was big. I bought it because it screwed on and it was easier than trying to find a welder to put my OEM back on after it was cut off so that my lowered bike didn't stand straight up on the stand.
saddlebag is offline  
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 09:42 AM
Member
 
Speedy Gonzalez's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: San Diego, California
Posts: 151
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Just to clarify things a bit :-)

Saddlebag,
You have a 2015 Versys 1000 that you lowered with your own lowering kit, right? Then you got my flatfoot for lowering kit which was designed to work with my lowering kit (doesn't lower the bike as low as yours) hence the scraping while cornering that you wrote about. Should've mentioned it to be fair.

Speedy
onewizard likes this.
Speedy Gonzalez is offline  
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 10:07 AM
Member
 
silviefox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: welches, oregon
Posts: 3,137
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
the getoo method

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
silviefox is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome