Too quiet??? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 03:12 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Too quiet???

Hi all,

I have only just been welcomed to the Kawasaki Versys world (new 2010 Versys ABS) having ridden a Super Motard and GSX1100 previously.

Is it me or is the Versys very, very quiet?

Without having to replace the exhaust how can I make it a little louder, for me not for anyone else. I am very used to extremely loud bikes and I am finding it hard to recognise what gear I am in etcetera.

Thanks all

Andy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 03:20 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
The V is very, very quiet, my wife try's to embarrass me when she starts up her cruiser but she not laughing when I leave her in my dust
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 03:48 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Read the article below and you might want to keep it stock.
Quite and soft.
If you are missing gears get a gear indicator.

http://motorcycle-intelligence.com/d...ve-lives/1119/

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
The V is very, very quiet, my wife try's to embarrass me when she starts up her cruiser but she not laughing when I leave her in my dust
I still ride with my cruiser buddies and the first day I pulled up on the V, my wife heard one of them say "It sounds like a scooter". I too during the ride left them all in my dust when I showed them what it could do.

They love loud bikes, I don't. The good thing is we all enjoy the ride and the teasing goes both ways.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 08:59 AM

You could mod your factory can, but it would just be easier to pick up a slip on.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
You could mod your factory can, but it would just be easier to pick up a slip on.
Assuming your reply was intended for me, I dont like loud. I love the quiet V.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 10:23 AM

Like most current stock setups, the Versys is quite. It's not too quite. As you put on the miles, it'll become louder, but still not loud enough to pass for anything other than a large scooter...

Gustavo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco1970 View Post

Is it me or is the Versys very, very quiet?

Without having to replace the exhaust how can I make it a little louder, for me not for anyone else. I am very used to extremely loud bikes and I am finding it hard to recognise what gear I am in etcetera.

Thanks all

Andy

Yes the Versys is sewing machine quiet. A slipon really brings it to life. I used a

Jardine, but there are many others to choose from, just search Versys exhaust on

Youtube.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 10:38 AM

It is much quiet compare to many other bikes. IMHO, performance is what matters.
I, too like it quiet.
There are a number of slip-on to louder the grunt and loosen the weight of the stock.

My V Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride safe,

post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
Assuming your reply was intended for me, I dont like loud. I love the quiet V.
no it was for the original guy that wanted his bike louder. I kinda like mine quiet too.
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 12:50 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
I like my bikes quiet too. My feeling regarding the Versys' exhaust's "character" is that it makes a throaty rumble when revved, not unlike the sound a Corvette with stock exhaust makes. Suits me just fine!

Used to ride on a buddy's extra Harley every now and then. One was a 'Softail Custom' with LOUD pipes, the other the one with a small fairing, bags, and STOCK exhaust. Riding the Softail ALWAYS got old, REALLY QUICKLY!

When I raced enduros I had a TT500 with a pipe and SuperTrapp. It was a bit loud, but one race the SuperTrapp came off in a mudhole. I figured it was worth more than a 2-bit trophy so I searched the mud till I found it, then finished the race with it tied on the back, and an open pipe. The down-side was that it was SO LOUD I had to mostly ride stretched out so my head was over the headlight (to avoid going deaf!), but the UP-SIDE - it was so loud that as I came up on other riders they'd almost crash into trees getting out of my way...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Hi all,

Thanks all

Andy
If you cannot tell what gear you are in by how the bike feels, pulls and or the tach I think you need to ride a bit more honestly oh and when in doubt SHIFT UP!

You know the great thing about motorcyclists is how caring and giving they are, you see, you want the bike louder for your own enjoyment, but you will also make it louder for every single person you ride by, next to or in front of to "enjoy" your loud bike too....something to think about when you are having the bike revved up so you know what gear you are in.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 02:41 PM

+1 for the Quiet Versys!!!!

Todd
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc11 View Post
If you cannot tell what gear you are in by how the bike feels, pulls and or the tach I think you need to ride a bit more honestly oh and when in doubt SHIFT UP!

You know the great thing about motorcyclists is how caring and giving they are, you see, you want the bike louder for your own enjoyment, but you will also make it louder for every single person you ride by, next to or in front of to "enjoy" your loud bike too....something to think about when you are having the bike revved up so you know what gear you are in.
Agreed. I love sharing my loud exhaust (scorpion sans DB killer) with everyone arround me. Why should I keep the joy of motorcycle riding all to myself when so many others can expierience the fun with me.

In all seriousness, I do think that the versys stock can is a little to quiet. If you like the rush of winding up the revs and hearing that sweet sound that this little paralell twin makes, than the stock setup just isnt going to do it for you.

I'm not trying to advocate running straight pipes. Just get a reasonable comercially produced can that lets the engine sing a little. Keep the revs down in residential areas and let it rip on the highwaay. If the soccer mom talkin on her cell phone gets a little annoyed with my exhaust, so be it; I'm just glad she noticed me.

"No man shal be debarred the use of arms" "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson

post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
no it was for the original guy that wanted his bike louder. I kinda like mine quiet too.
Sorry, guess I know what happens when I assume....
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc11 View Post

I would second most of this as well. I can also understand that if your bike is incredibly quiet and smooth, it can sometimes be tough to tell what is going aurally on when riding around a bunch of noisy bikes.

I spent a lot of time riding and racing off-road and nothing would typically cause you to lose a riding area more quickly than having extremely noisy bikes. There was a widespread campaign based on the premise of less sound = more ground. in other words, keep your bike reasonably quiet and you'll have more riding opportunities.

I tend to ride relatively fast most of the time and the last thing I want to do is attract undue attention especially from the police. To some extent I don't buy into the loud pipes save lives argument. Low sounds are pretty much omni-directional so it is more difficult to determine where they are coming from. So unless you are in the mid to upper RPM range all the time a car/truck isn't going to be able to tell where you are and will just hear a loud noise.

Having said that, I wouldn't mind for the Versys to have a slightly different tone. It it was a titch louder I wouldn't mind it either but nothing significantly so. That is my biggest concern with going with any aftermarket exhaust is they might be too loud for my purposes.
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 02:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
Read the article below and you might want to keep it stock.
Quite and soft.
If you are missing gears get a gear indicator.

http://motorcycle-intelligence.com/d...ve-lives/1119/

I like the article - too true. I think some people may have misconstrued what I was asking. I DON"T want another loud bike - my Motard had a full Titanium Yoshi and was as loud as buggery.....

I've been looking for a 'gear indicator' to fit my 2010 Versys but can't seem to find one to suit. Anyone know if such a place exists yet?

Thanks all.
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 03:44 AM
DBL

A little pricey at $150 but they do exist.

http://www.calsportbike.com/cgi-bin/...d=2009&count=1

Quote:
I like the article - too true. I think some people may have misconstrued what I was asking. I DON"T want another loud bike - my Motard had a full Titanium Yoshi and was as loud as buggery.....

I've been looking for a 'gear indicator' to fit my 2010 Versys but can't seem to find one to suit. Anyone know if such a place exists yet?

Thanks all.
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 05:45 AM

The Versys was designed to pass the current Euro CAT 3 standards, meaning the exhaust is very very quiet (we wouldn't want to upset the EU beaurocrats snoozing in the beds thinking up new whizzo schemes to fleece the EU taxpayer would we).

I like the sound of the stock Versys, but I like the sound of a aftermarket can better, it makes the bike sound more like a bike, and less like a sewing machine. and others (not all agree).

my solution was a MTC can, around £160 fitted. yes its noiser), but its not a straight pipe, there is some baffle to reduce noise, its road legal (in the UK as its BSAU stamped), and that will make it road legal elsewhere in the EU (except possibly Germany).

you can a feeling of the difference in sound here
..second bike has an MTC can
..first two standard, third as an MTC

as usual the sound ont he video isn't the same as live, but its better than nowt.

but you do need to be clear in your mind about what you are buying... a repalcement end can isn't going to give an significant performance improvement. some claim it makes the low end a bit freer and easier to ride but thats a subjective view.

as to noise affecting hearing, yes there is a possible issue, however its my understanding the main cause of hearing problems is the higher pitched wind noise (which comes in around 45..50mph, so I tend to ride with ear plugs no matter what)

as to a gear change indicator I believe Acumen http://www.acumen-electronics.co.uk/...ssories,b.html do a range, some with voltmeters, some without which work for the Versys. If Acumen do it then Im sure there must be other manufacturers out there who would supply locally. apparently Acumen are sold through www.riderstation.com/ in the US

Last edited by healdem; 07-20-2010 at 05:50 AM.
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 05:50 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
So if you use earplugs why make it more noise?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode