Heated grips - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By MaverickAus
  • 2 Post By twowheels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-26-2015, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Heated grips

I added a set of Koso Apollo heated grips today.
I got this set because I liked that the power switch is IN the left grip and doesn't take up any other bar space, and it has five different settings.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-27-2015, 02:05 AM

Garage
I like the AME grips, both sides have buttons and you can set each grip to the heat setting that suits as they are often different each side (because of the left side direct onto the steel bar, right side on the plastic throttle tube).
I'm with ya tho about have an integrated button I hate that big ugly Oxford controller.
weljo2001 and AlaskaJeff like this.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-15-2016, 11:04 AM

I don't use heated grips, but I think one of the motorcycle mags recently said they like the ones by Bikemaster. Just letting you know that they are on sale at Competition Accessories for $59.95 and I have had nothing but great luck buying from that company. They have a video on line for almost every product which helps, especially when it comes to telling you how the sizing runs compared to what it is labeled. I have two pair of the Sliders 4.0 cargo riding pants and really like them. I am in no way connected to that company, just wanted to let everybody know about the price.

Forty years away from 2 wheel fun. Sure is great to be back smelling the roses!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-15-2016, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1503 View Post
I added a set of Koso Apollo heated grips today.
I got this set because I liked that the power switch is IN the left grip and doesn't take up any other bar space, and it has five different settings.
I've never seen those before but I like the design.

however at 120$ I think I'd just get heated gloved. I originally went with heated grips because I could do it for 30$
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-23-2016, 11:37 AM

I recently installed the oxford adventure grips, and so far I've been pretty please. The coldest temp I road in was 40 and after about 10 minutes I had to turn them down to about 60% because they were too hot.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-23-2016, 02:13 PM

Garage
Unless you live in a tropical climate I can't imagine not having either heated gear or heated grips the benefit is so great.

I have had both heated grips, and now, heated gear including heated gloves. Heated grips are more convenient, because they are always available, and there is nothing to plug in and no wires. They are also much cheaper. The downside to heated grips, vs heated gloves, is cold weather comfort. Heated gloves heat the back of the hand and insulate the rest so you get a very even, comfortable warmth compared to heated grips that only heat the palm, but not the back of the hand, the part that gets the cold wind blast. Heated gloves are more comfortable in really cold weather because of this. The downside to heated gloves is you need a long sleeve heated liner to plug them into.

My unsolicited advice - If you have a heated long sleeve liner or are going to get one, get heated gloves that plug in the cuffs and a dual channel temp controller, otherwise get heated grips. If it's cold enough for a heated liner you'll need the additional heat on your hands.

IMO textile motorcycle pants with the right base layer, a heated jacket liner worn under a 4 season jacket, and heated gloves is the cat's ass in cold weather. You can ride in 34F for hours at highway speeds like it was 72F and sunny. If you don't ride on the highway below 50F/10C though, it is probably not worth it though, and heated grips might be a cheaper option. Heated gear will add a month or two to your riding season.
Smiley and Jim Nazium like this.

Last edited by twowheels; 02-09-2016 at 07:07 PM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-24-2016, 09:03 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
The downside to heated grips, vs heated gloves, is cold weather comfort. Heated gloves heat the back of the hand and insulate the rest so you get a very even, comfortable warmth compared to heated grips that only heat the palm, but not the back of the hand, the part that gets the cold wind blast. Heated gloves are more comfortable in really cold weather because of this.
Not the best solution, but these work pretty well for the backside of my winter gloves when I ride to work (30 minutes, most at highway speeds). Since I already have the heated grips, I can buy quite a few of these for the price of getting the heated gloves

'09 Versys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode