• 1 Post By Biz
  • 1 Post By kawdog
  • 2 Post By twowheeladdict

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-25-2015, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Biz

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Spencer Seat Modification

Based on great reviews from fellow members on this site, I decided to send my 2014 650 Versys seat to Spencer for modification. What a great transformation it is over stock! In today's world, it's rare to find someone like Spencer that's so committed to quality in their craft. I asked Spencer for the rider seat to be re-sculpted using the Supracor, building up the front, with a rearward tilt back so I sat bumped up to the passenger riser... not the gas tank. Mission accomplished! Thanks to my wife forgetting gifts at her cousin's house last night, I used Christmas morning as an excuse to road test the seat for the first time and ride out to get them. Immediately, I realized I was sitting comfortably back and upright. No gonad crushing into the gas tank upon braking, or the normal forward creep while riding. After an hour and a half of riding I'm now sure this was the right choice, because I wasn't thinking about the uncomfortable seat anymore, I was enjoying my ride! Spencer did my mod for $75 and his fast service and communication during the process scores him an A+. I will recommend his service to my local friends that never loved their stock seats either. Felt like two-wheeled Merry Christmas to me today. If you're not digging your stock seat, I would encourage you to speak with Spencer at greatdaytoride.com
ginovega likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-26-2015, 08:11 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I've used Spencer in the past. If you are happy With the stock seat, he can improve it. My tail bone kept hitting the passenger hump, so I had Terry make me the flat seat I specified to him. No one else makes a flat seat for the Versys.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-26-2015, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
Biz

I'm a do-it-yourself kind of guy, and almost attempted a seat mod myself, but the little voice inside said leave it to an expert. Glad I did, excellent craftsmanship from Spencer. Who is it that fixed your seat?

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-26-2015, 12:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Let's see these modified seats!
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-27-2015, 09:05 AM

Ya man, we wanna see pictures!!!!!!!!!!!
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-27-2015, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
Biz

OK, attached are some pics. Spencer asks you for a pic of you seated on the bike positioned where you want to ride in the saddle. I'm 6 feet tall with a 34" inseam, and 56 years old. I did not have him modify the passenger section of the seat, since that's where my tail bag always rides... but he will modify that too if requested. The next two pics show there's really not much visible change in appearance as he reuses the original seat cover. The nose is elevated and where your butt sits is slightly lowered. Looking at the cover from underneath it is drawn tighter than the original cover as the original staple holes are moved inward. The Supracor seat material under your butt is way better structure than stock foam. Read up on Supracor for more on that material: http://www.supracor.com/ The quality in re-crafting the seat is second to none. Spencer charged me $50 to rebuild the rider section and an additional $25 to use state-of-the-art Supracor instead of the stock old school foam. With this mod I am free to shift and move, but I do not drift towards the tank while riding, or get shoved into the gas tank when braking. Hope this helps you guys if interested in changing your seat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg seated.jpg (47.8 KB, 385 views)
File Type: jpg side.jpg (47.4 KB, 408 views)
File Type: jpg top.jpg (43.9 KB, 362 views)
Jim Nazium likes this.

Last edited by Biz; 12-27-2015 at 11:47 AM.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-27-2015, 04:01 PM

Here is a cheap-hybrid seat conversion done-and-done. I just got a sticky (rubber net) tail section off fleabay (keeps stuff on seat when stopped or rolling - $20), a Coleman (now MaDDog) seat cover ($20), and a Cycle gear gel pad below (about $50.) The MaDDog pad and gel pad are folded over at the front to keep my privates from bumping my gas tank (kind of like FastEddies washer lift on his seat.) I think it looks pretty buff for $90 total and does the job good for 32" inseam 6' tall rider (with lowered footpegs and lifted anti-vibe risers.)

Biz likes this.

Last edited by kawdog; 12-27-2015 at 04:08 PM.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-27-2015, 07:41 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biz View Post
I'm a do-it-yourself kind of guy, and almost attempted a seat mod myself, but the little voice inside said leave it to an expert. Glad I did, excellent craftsmanship from Spencer. Who is it that fixed your seat?
terryscustomseats

https://www.facebook.com/Terrys-Cust...0069175036324/

This is what he built for my Trophy

Jim Nazium and Biz like this.

My Versys Travels:

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-28-2015, 07:32 AM Thread Starter
Biz

That is a whole new direction in seat design! Wider in the back and narrower to front. I can see that would be comfortable too!
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-28-2015, 09:17 AM

Thanks for the pictures guys keep em coming, some interesting seat ideas and re-crafting work
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-28-2015, 09:32 PM

I had Spencer's do a re-work on my 07 FJR1300 seat some years ago. For the price, it was a worthwhile improvement. My current FJR has a seat custom rebuilt on the stock pan by Seth Laam in California. More expensive than the Spencer mod, but well worth it.

When I get a V (hopefully before the end of this week), I'll likely go the Spencer route for additional height (I'm 6'2" with 35" legs) and comfort.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
Biz

Make sure you ask for the Supracor replacement while he has it apart. That material beats foam, period.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 06:11 AM

Has anybody compared a Spencer mod against a Seat Concepts?
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 08:06 AM

That Spencer mod looks great, especially for only $75.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 08:24 AM Thread Starter
Biz

Agreed, unless there is something about the shape of the stock seat that just doesn't fit you, making it more comfortable by re-engineering the internal materials, makes Spencer's mod a great value vs others. Again, I didn't have him rework the passenger seat section, since that just carries my tail bag, no passengers.

post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 10:16 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biz View Post
That is a whole new direction in seat design! Wider in the back and narrower to front. I can see that would be comfortable too!
I only ride solo on the Versys. I can slide forward and have my knees down with my thighs gripping the bike and shred the curves, or slide back and relax in comfort.

As you can see in the links in my signature, I strap various dry bags on the back of the seat to suit my travel requirements.

My Versys Travels:

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 09:43 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Does the Spencer mod make the seat feel higher when stopped and a foot down? I'm 5'10" with a 30" inseam, and a lightweight at 150lbs. The bike height is ok but I wouldn't want it to feel much taller. When I put 20 lbs or more stuff in the luggage the height is a lot more comfortable, where I can almost flat foot with both feet.

My goal with a seat mod is to get rid of that forward slide of the nads into the tank, and to reduce the feeling of leaning forward with weight on my hands.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly-Sig View Post
Does the Spencer mod make the seat feel higher when stopped and a foot down? I'm 5'10" with a 30" inseam, and a lightweight at 150lbs. The bike height is ok but I wouldn't want it to feel much taller. When I put 20 lbs or more stuff in the luggage the height is a lot more comfortable, where I can almost flat foot with both feet.

My goal with a seat mod is to get rid of that forward slide of the nads into the tank, and to reduce the feeling of leaning forward with weight on my hands.
Actually, with my gel and cover pad folded over at the front, I'm about the same height as you on your seat: it sux. I'm going to try to figure out how to 'cinch' both pads down 4" from the tank for about 4" length to help get me another 1.5" lower height (or 1/2 higher than stock). It's padded well and not pushing me forward anyway. If anyone's got any suggestions on how to cinch down the center pads of the seat for more ground clearance, I'd be glad to hear - maybe some super strong nylon fabric??

Balanced

Too Wide, tips forward

Last edited by kawdog; 12-30-2015 at 11:18 PM.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 11:26 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Does the Spencer mod make the seat feel higher when stopped and a foot down?....
I'd forgotten that I've had a "Spencer-modded" seat on my '08 for OVER five years. Doesn't feel any higher than the '09 did, or the '15 DOES.

-

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-01-2016, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
Biz

Spencer can mod to raise or lower the seat. Mine became slightly lower with the addition of Supracor replacing the foam. The Versys seat has a high spot under your butt, in the plastic seat pan, which limits how low you can physically lower it. At 150 lbs, try dialing the rear suspension down a few clicks, I don't think the performance will suffer.

Quote:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode