BEWARE SW-MOTECH Centerstands - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 26Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 79 (permalink) Old 12-24-2015, 02:10 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
BEWARE SW-MOTECH Centerstands

I posted this on Twisted Throttle product review, but they will probably not post it. I wouldn't buy any SW-MOTECH parts from now on.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Review on SW-MOTECH centerstand for Kawasaki Versys 2010 to 2015.

I thought it was a great centerstand at first, but with new EK red chain, Chameleon chain oiler, and cleaned/new primary/rear sprockets it is easy to see the manufacturing specification defects (Figure 1.)

From behind the left footpeg (Figure 2.), you can see where the chain contacts the front side centerstand bracket (Figure 3.) From the rear side of the centerstand bracket, you can see normal hang for 1" (minimum) chain adjustment slack (1.0 - 1.4" chain slack specs) in Figure 4 - Note red Chain chip below chain on centerstand bracket. Figure 5 indicates the chain "pushed" up and again note the paint chip on the centerstand bracket. Finally, Figure 6. shows the defective engineering SW-MOTECH centerstand left support bracket.

I understand it was done for strength, cost, and weight, but given enough time, a good mechanical engineer should be able to provide a design that does not reduce the chain slack tolerance from (1.0 to 1.4 inch) to (1.0 to 1.1 inch.) There is no oem chain adjustment slack range capability with the SW-MOTECH left centerstand bracket support. I kept hearing a dragging on my DID StreetPro chain when oiling and cleaning my chain that I burned in 7k miles, and my mechanic said it was dragging on the centerstand bracket but it was dirty. Now its clean, all new parts, and clear SW-MOTECH centerstand for the 2010 to 2015 Kawasaki Versys is defectively engineered. I am sorry to all of the Versys owners that I supported buying this centerstand, and I will try to let them know. SW-MOTECH did not even try to contact me about the side-stand/centerstand interference design problem. Twisted Throttle contacted me but did nothing. I was hoping it was not the centerstand, but this is pictorial documented evidence of improper assembly tolerances fit for OEM chain adjustment.

I do not have time to figure out how to fix the problem sheet metal assembly wise, much less waste my time telling a company who does not respond to feedback about their design problems. What a waste in money for a heavy centerstand that damages chains, chains, sprockets, and labor. SW-MOTECH has 2 design strikes on their centerstand alone and won't get a third try from me.

1 of 5 stars - They suk!

Zombiereaper5 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 79 (permalink) Old 12-24-2015, 03:43 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
that sucks :/ i hate when companies bury there **** ups.... i say live them up, say hey we ****ed up here see how we fixed it....it could be fixed with a more aggressive bends (like 90* bends ) or a pulley for the chain to ride on

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #3 of 79 (permalink) Old 12-24-2015, 05:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
that sucks :/ i hate when companies bury there **** ups.... i say live them up, say hey we ****ed up here see how we fixed it....it could be fixed with a more aggressive bends (like 90* bends ) or a pulley for the chain to ride on
Twisted Throttle already pulled my feedback because they said I already had a (good) feedback. I've never heard from SW-MOTO from 2 problems with the same centerstand. I would hate to think there are more un-engineered surprises waiting, so I'm going to pull that (35 lb) sucker off as quick as possible. Including chains, sprockets, centerstands, etc... this is my biggest ripoff yet. My last chain was tight to 3" slack from banging on the centerstand support using oem chain slack measurement ranges. That sucker could have snapped and killed me splitting lanes. I'll be on the phone next Monday to Twisted anyway: although they may not do anything. I'd love to be wrong though because I thought they supported riders better than that.

Now that USPS delivers all parcel posts to residences (in LA anyway,) I think I'll use the USPS felony angle of fraud with US Postal Marshall with Twisted, and they can deal with SW-Moto how the hell they want to. If I'm successful and anyone else wants a refund on their chain popping SW-MOTO centerstand, I'll let you know if it works out.

You guys with SW-MOTO centerstands better check the chain slack from tightest to worst REAL soon and let me know what you get. The pictures tell the story. German quality, LOL!

Last edited by kawdog; 12-24-2015 at 05:25 AM.

post #4 of 79 (permalink) Old 12-24-2015, 10:19 AM

Garage
call them tell them they need to refund your money for the stand and take it back, if they dont want to do that threaten small claims court for the cost ofthe stand chain sprockets and time, as well as bad press... as for TT i would just demand they remove your good review at the least.....
best of luck man... i hate when corps do this crap...

yes im a guy.

post #5 of 79 (permalink) Old 12-24-2015, 10:25 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Thanks for the heads-up on the issue. Hope you get a refund.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #6 of 79 (permalink) Old 12-24-2015, 11:57 AM

Garage
how about a photo of the upper section of the mounting bracket that is interfering with the chain. there are supposed to be spacers on that bracket, so if you didn't install the centerstand, are you 100% convinced that the assembly is installed correctly? there's already a pair of mismatched Motech fasteners on the lower mount, so an incorrectly assembled upper mount seems all the more possible.
post #7 of 79 (permalink) Old 12-24-2015, 04:49 PM

Do you have a larger than OEM front sprocket?

STUPID IS THE NEW NORMAL
post #8 of 79 (permalink) Old 12-24-2015, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
how about a photo of the upper section of the mounting bracket that is interfering with the chain. there are supposed to be spacers on that bracket, so if you didn't install the centerstand, are you 100% convinced that the assembly is installed correctly? there's already a pair of mismatched Motech fasteners on the lower mount, so an incorrectly assembled upper mount seems all the more possible.
Thanks for your insight JD. I wish you would find a way it could work because I really love a centerstand even though it is about 35 lbs. Below is the relevant assembly drawing from SW-MOTECH. Please point out the, "there's already a pair of mismatched Motech Fasteners on the lower mount" by part/assembly number on attached drawing.

I just went out and looked at it, and all spacers and washers are as depicted on the drawing. It's hard to see because there is about 4 layers intertwined and overlapped over each other, not as clear as it is in the drawing. I marked the instructions up and highlighted them for the mechanic on Monday to help expedite his labor. He is an expert on Japanese motorcycles and the top mechanic in the busiest shop in Orange County to keep Japanese motorcyclists (mainly) riding 7 days a week.

All of the frame attachments limit the part movement up and down, and the washers/spacers are flush so there is no wiggle sideways. The bottom chain drags on the bracket; and a small 520 size sports chain 'whips' on acceleration and deceleration. Sideways motion is negligible with the stout EK chain, but up and down motion requires more space that 1/64th of an inch before it slaps into a half inch thick block of AL. One inch clearance would be more appropriate down side clearance since slightly loose chains wear better, which is available: but not with the premature bend of the thick AL block. Steel standoff spacers and no expensive break press bends on the AL would at least work better and be cheaper (if all strength limits are satisfied.) But that is just one factor in one dimension to consider.

Once it was cleaned up and installed, it was easy to see (I wanted to verify my mechanic, because I wanted it badly!) Now I'll have to get front and rear stands, and take notes on how Invader and Fast Eddie use makeshift stands on the road. This could take SW-MOTECH years to fix if ever. It's a very complicated interference fit with layers of components. But it can break a good chain in short order and is a safety hazard! My Gold DID streetpro was ready to snap in at least 2 positions before I replaced it (riding normally.)

And Ray, no, brand new OEM stock sprockets: both.
post #9 of 79 (permalink) Old 12-24-2015, 06:04 PM

Garage
from the photo it didn't look like you had a pair of matching #24 socket heads (M10x16) and that one #28 flange head (M10x30) had been used instead.

verify that the spacers #19(multiple 3MM) and #22(27MM) are in place. measure the spacer at the #22 location to make sure that the #32 spacer(22MM) wasn't installed there by mistake.
post #10 of 79 (permalink) Old 12-24-2015, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
from the photo it didn't look like you had a pair of matching #24 socket heads (M10x16) and that one #28 flange head (M10x30) had been used instead.

verify that the spacers #19(multiple 3MM) and #22(27MM) are in place. measure the spacer at the #22 location to make sure that the #32 spacer(22MM) wasn't installed there by mistake.
Thanks. No, they are all correct. The only part that really matters on the chain dragging vertically is part number 16, and it is fixed to the frame at the top and the middle. It ain't going no where.

As far as I know, I am the pioneer of the centerstand on this site, so i just want owners to know especially for their safety. I guess Twisted Throttle has deep pockets in this case.
post #11 of 79 (permalink) Old 12-25-2015, 09:20 AM

Garage
here's an install on a 2015. they didn't report any chain interference on the new generation bike, although they did report a somewhat troubling interference between the centerstand and sidestand.

2015 Kawasaki Versys 650 Center Stand Review - webBikeWorld

i'd still double check the installation on your bike.
aboyandhisversys likes this.
post #12 of 79 (permalink) Old 12-25-2015, 09:40 AM

Garage
Quote:
here's an install on a 2015. they didn't report any chain interference on the new generation bike, although they did report a somewhat troubling interference between the centerstand and sidestand.

2015 Kawasaki Versys 650 Center Stand Review - webBikeWorld

i'd still double check the installation on your bike.
Quote:
The SW-Motech center stand for the 2015 Versys 650 is similar -- but not identical -- to the kit for earlier versions of the Versys 650. So the parts are not interchangeable but the installation is nearly the same.
if you look at it the two bends that are the problem on his stand are more of a 90* bend on the 2015 version

yes im a guy.

post #13 of 79 (permalink) Old 12-25-2015, 10:34 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
if you look at it the two bends that are the problem on his stand are more of a 90* bend on the 2015 version
from the review, i though you would quote this...

"Twisted Throttle also checks and re-checks everything to make sure it's going to work and they stock spare parts. And you'll have Twisted Throttle support also if you run into trouble."

it won't work on kawdog's bike, they won't give him the money back, so there's only one thing left to do...

calling dibs, remove it and mail the whole junky shebang to me, i'll pay postage. i never wanted one of these, but since it would be really really cheap, i'll take a chance. i'm pretty good at makin' sumthin outta nuthin.
post #14 of 79 (permalink) Old 12-25-2015, 08:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I am not sure why you are having issues, I have a 2015 and ordered the center stand, was sent one for the earlier version (by accident) and was helped very much from Twisted Throttle. I don't know why T.T. is not helping you, it is out of character. Maybe a phone call is in order.?
I hope you get some help in this.

post #15 of 79 (permalink) Old 12-25-2015, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1503 View Post
I am not sure why you are having issues, I have a 2015 and ordered the center stand, was sent one for the earlier version (by accident) and was helped very much from Twisted Throttle. I don't know why T.T. is not helping you, it is out of character. Maybe a phone call is in order.?
I hope you get some help in this.
You are right Steve, it was Christmas Eve though and I have not had a chance. I have had mine this whole year though so it is not exactly the same thing as just opening the box. I'll find out Monday while it is being removed from my bike. The main priority is SAFETY to get the chain scraper off my bike. I would assume the 2015 is no safer than mine, but I'm not going to waste any more time on this centerstand that was not engineered in the first place for the Versys 650 2010 to 2014 (well, no more engineering than a monkey eyeballing the part for fit and function.)

Could it be engineered correctly for the 2015 though? Fat chance since it has been out for our bikes beforehand. It would be random chance if it did fit, and minutia in consideration and effort from SW-MOTECH.
post #16 of 79 (permalink) Old 12-26-2015, 01:01 PM

Don't forget you can also notify your credit card company, and dispute the charge.
post #17 of 79 (permalink) Old 12-26-2015, 01:03 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Make a video and blast them on YouTube....

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #18 of 79 (permalink) Old 12-26-2015, 01:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Could it be engineered correctly for the 2015 though? Fat chance since it has been out for our bikes beforehand. It would be random chance if it did fit, and minutia in consideration and effort from SW-MOTECH.[/QUOTE]

I checked my stand today, and it hasn't been touched by the chain. And I needed to adjust the chain, so thanks for having me look at it

post #19 of 79 (permalink) Old 12-26-2015, 09:30 PM

Garage
I've had bad luck with SW Motech as well. I got the SW Motech Versys Mirror extenders and one was the wrong thread. Then I ordered the crashbars and was to busy to install them for a year and when I tried it turned our one of the brackets was welded on improperly and they will not fit the bike.
post #20 of 79 (permalink) Old 12-26-2015, 10:39 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post

Could it be engineered correctly for the 2015 though? Fat chance since it has been out for our bikes beforehand. It would be random chance if it did fit, and minutia in consideration and effort from SW-MOTECH.
there aren't many reviews of your Motech centerstand on Twisted Throttle, but all the riders that installed the same centerstand and posted a review both liked it and recommended it...except you.

you keep referring to chain interference with an aluminum bracket, isn't the centerstand assembly all steel?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode