FMF pipe or other? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
FMF pipe or other?

So I am about to buy a new pipe for my V. The question is, do I go FMF powercore or another?

Ordering a little over dealer cost, and the choices are basically the brands Parts Unlimited stocks. So Yoshi, FMF, Leo Vince, Two Brothers, Akrapovic, and a few others.

The objectives of the pipe are to give it a bit more of a sound, and to loose some weight. I figure the power gain is negligible at best.

Beyond that, I want a pipe that will handle alright on dirt roads, which basically killed the Leo Vince GP. Looking for something a little more compact/sleek. Dealer recommended the FMF for that reason.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 12:18 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
i have the yoshi on my V. But when i raced motocross i always had FMF pipes and was very happy with them very solid also.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

How did it hold up long term? I don't know anything about FMF.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 10:08 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Good quality good performance. they were on the bikes as long as i owned them and sold the bikes with them. tried to load one bike by popping the front wheel up and slammed the curve of the pipe coming out of the engine into the tail gate of the pick up truck put a nice big dent in the tail gate and just a small indention on the pipe. most motocross racers in the mid to late 70's had an FMF or DG pipe. they been in business for a long time i didn't know they made a pipe for the versys. its worth checking into.

Heres some shots of my yoshi

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

Last edited by weljo2001; 08-01-2010 at 09:10 AM.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 11:50 PM Thread Starter

Is it bad that I am analyzing your light setup and the fact you have a white seamless to shoot on? I went to art school for photography, so you will have to forgive me. And you might want to try using a bigger soft box.

Anywho, I just found out about the FMF pipe yesterday. Dealer mentioned it while at bike night. I don't really know much about FMF, but they have a reputation from the dirt people, so I was hoping that quality extends to their street pipes.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 01:12 AM

Donny Elmer's FMF has been around since the 70's and they build a quaility exhaust system. I wouldn't mind having their system on any of my bikes. They are good people too as I've had the chance to meet a few of them.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 07:03 AM

I have an FMF on my bike and love the sound. This is my third FMF on a street bike and have had no problems with them over the last 8 years.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 08:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skindoners View Post
I have an FMF on my bike and love the sound. This is my third FMF on a street bike and have had no problems with them over the last 8 years.
Awesome! How often do you have to repack them? I found everything from a couple of months to not often at all. Can they task a bit of a hit? I don't plan on hitting anything, but there is always that rock you didn't see that could get it.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 10:57 AM

I had 10,000 miles on my r6 with FMF and did not need to pack it. I sold the pipe to a stunter when I sold my bike and he beat the crap out of it for a while. I had one on my KLR and went off road, gravel road and dumpted it in deep sand and had no problems. My v has only had the pipe on for 2 months now. It has become a little louder after the 1st 200 miles but has finally set up on a stable sound. It is nice and deep , but not the loud screamer.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I had 10,000 miles on my r6 with FMF and did not need to pack it. I sold the pipe to a stunter when I sold my bike and he beat the crap out of it for a while. I had one on my KLR and went off road, gravel road and dumpted it in deep sand and had no problems. My v has only had the pipe on for 2 months now. It has become a little louder after the 1st 200 miles but has finally set up on a stable sound. It is nice and deep , but not the loud screamer.
Awesome to hear the first hand experience. Calling my dealer in a few minutes to order one. I want it on and broken in before heading to Moto GP.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 04:54 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
FMF's PowerCore GP is made of titanium, and it sure is beautiful. They do make great stuff. I loved the FMF PowerBomb SX header I had on my WR426F.

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

Gah!!!!! Everytime I try to order it, the guy I need to talk to is busy. This is getting seriously annoying.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

Woohoo, exhaust is ordered! Should get it by Tuesday or Thursday, and installed by the weekend.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 08:16 PM

we r heading to moto gp from Orlando and camping at a koa near by. If you want to meet up let me know. My wife got mine for my b day and had a buddy put it on. He said he had to move the rear tire back a little to get the stock exhaust off.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-17-2010, 11:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
we r heading to moto gp from Orlando and camping at a koa near by. If you want to meet up let me know. My wife got mine for my b day and had a buddy put it on. He said he had to move the rear tire back a little to get the stock exhaust off.
Call me lazy, I'm just letting the shop do it.

I'll get back to you on the Indy thing. Money may be a little tighter than I expected...
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

Alright, first off, I will be heading to MotoGP at Indy, so I am up for a possible meet. Currently figuring out what tickets to buy.

Second, got the FMF on last night. Holy cow, it sounds amazing. Not to mention the bike feels a lot different. I love it.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 10:50 AM

Did they have to do any mods to make it work? Also, how much louder is it than stock?
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

Too be fully honest, the dealer did the install. I am not sure how much he had to do to it. Seems like it was pretty straight forward. It was raining last night after the install, so I am not 100% on the volume difference. It is louder at idle, but the further up the RPMs, it isn't that much louder.

Honestly, the biggest advantage is weight.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 08:57 PM

This pipe does not need any mods it is basically pull the stock one off and put the new one on. The pipe is deep and loud, but not ear drum busting loud.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 11:23 PM

wow I didnt know FMF made a pipe for the V good to know! could you post a pic please whe you get it on?

I guess more companys are starting to get on board.

Ive been thinking about ordering the Arrow my self.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode