How are your chains sent to you in the mail? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By kawdog

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-06-2015, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

How are your chains sent to you in the mail?

My EK gold chain, supposedly sold by EK on Amazon, was dropped in a USPS thin Priority envelope and mailed. The box looked pretty beat up, and was wondering if that is standard shipping for chains. It's the first one I've gotten like that. What a waste of time and money on piss poor attention to shipping.
invader and invader like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-06-2015, 09:25 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
most times ive gotten a chain from online the box has been a bit beat up think about it heavy chain VS thin cardboard. the chain is in plastic for its fine..and its heavy steel it can handle a bump here and there

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-07-2015, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post
My EK gold chain, supposedly sold by EK on Amazon, was dropped in a USPS thin Priority envelope and mailed. The box looked pretty beat up, and was wondering if that is standard shipping for chains. It's the first one I've gotten like that. What a waste of time and money on piss poor attention to shipping.
Amazon frequently sends a packaging evaluation email regarding a recent purchase. Sounds like it's an opportunity to make your displeasure known. I believe they actually take it to heart. In my case, most things I receive through Amazon are over packaged.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-07-2015, 01:24 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the feed back guys. I know the specs on steel and these are the strongest of the strong chains (EK), but the weakest link in the chain probably got there through MATERIAL HANDLING. When I pick it up, it bends pretty fairly easy and non-consistently in the linear link direction. If you get a beat up box, you just never know if all the forces of the beat up box were orthogonal (or at a right angle) to ANY link's weakest point direction. BUT if the box was perfect, you know you have as good of a chance of being average or better link (all of them) strength.

Sometimes, my price survey skills yield me the best deal, but sometimes it's because I was suckered into buying scrap rejects for a small price margin benefit. The closest EK chain from the same supplier is about $17 more, so I've already started the return process. Hell, this chain normally sells for over double what I paid on Amazon or Ebay, so I at least want to get a non-damaged one to help my odds from getting a manufacturing reject chain, which ebay is a dumping grounds for rejects (even though I got it from a slightly better Amazon.)

Too bad too. I just got everything including a chain oiler and am just waiting on my oem front sprocket; and my chain is adjusted loose to tight right now with a couple of kinked links after adjusted, cleaned, and oiled. Maybe I could get an overnight ship out of EK for making me go through this exercise. But I'd rather see what I can get the same chain for from Motor Helmets Monday and just use my Amazon price to leverage a better bargain for the retail version. With time, labor, and downtime, the ebay/Amazon half price deals are not so good in the end!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-07-2015, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

Here's a good article on chain variability from an old Italian racer. It's not much on what you should do as there is a lot of variability (and his livelihood secrets too, ha ha.) I knew an Italian BMW mechanic in Nashville, one of my best friends; and he knew all types of magical chain racing secrets too.

All About Chains

I just want fast, reliable, easy, and economical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
Amazon frequently sends a packaging evaluation email regarding a recent purchase. Sounds like it's an opportunity to make your displeasure known. I believe they actually take it to heart. In my case, most things I receive through Amazon are over packaged.
Unfortunately, Amazon and Ebay both want the buyer to pay shipping back from fraudulent advertisements made by the seller. Make the seller responsible for their fraud. That is why civilized countries have laws in the first place!

Last edited by kawdog; 12-07-2015 at 12:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode