• 1 Post By waltermitty
  • 1 Post By saddlebag
  • 1 Post By Mursili
  • 1 Post By Mursili

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-22-2015, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Are Vs. 650 OEM sprockets Steel or AL?

I was thinking about trying the front rubber dampened sprocket out, but not if it is AL. The OEM rear sprocket is about $20 cheaper than a Sunstar steel rear sprocket so it may be AL - ?? The front rubber cushioned is only $10 more, but it may be AL ??

My Sunstar steel sprockets still look good, but the rubber dampened front sprocket seemed interesting for sure. Why don't they have critical information like this on the oem parts database??

THANKS!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-22-2015, 07:54 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...-sprocket.html
kawdog likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-22-2015, 08:39 PM

O.E.M. sprockets are steel and probably made by Sunstar. I've used both rubber dampened O.E.M sprockets and regular Sunstar sprockets and really can't tell any difference.
kawdog likes this.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-22-2015, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltermitty View Post
O.E.M. sprockets are steel and probably made by Sunstar. I've used both rubber dampened O.E.M sprockets and regular Sunstar sprockets and really can't tell any difference.
Thanks Walter! It's what I assumed from the expert postings here: enough to pull the trigger.

I'm looking forward to getting my parts. But getting all the specials including shipping, they won't all be here for at least a couple of weeks. I've got another oil change (in miles) in my chain now (I hope.)
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-22-2015, 11:31 PM

Any one have a part number for a oem 14 tooth rubber dampened front sprocket
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-23-2015, 12:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motojunkee View Post
13144 is 15 tooth. There are no other oem transmission output sprocket sizes from Partzilla's Kawasaki database (for 2012 anyway). All the oem databases are the same (but Parzilla's is usually cheaper because they are the biggest parts house there is.) Their online oem databases are visually cleaner than others too.

Kawasaki Motorcycle Parts 2012 KLE650CCF Versys TRANSMISSION Diagram
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-23-2015, 02:34 AM

Part number for zx6
16 tooth works on versys
kawasaki part no. 13144-0038

versys 15 tooth part number
kawasaki part no. 13144-0024

Looking for a 14 tooth in a Kawasaki part number that will Work on a versys
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-23-2015, 06:17 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post
I was thinking about trying the front rubber dampened sprocket out, but not if it is AL. The OEM rear sprocket is about $20 cheaper than a Sunstar steel rear sprocket so it may be AL - ?? The front rubber cushioned is only $10 more, but it may be AL ??

My Sunstar steel sprockets still look good, but the rubber dampened front sprocket seemed interesting for sure. Why don't they have critical information like this on the oem parts database??

THANKS!!
I'd skip the aluminum sprockets. We riders are an emotional bunch when it comes to keeping up with our bikes. We change the oil way more frequently than we need as with other maintenance to keep things as new as possible...as if we can give them life eternal.

Fact is, I've never noticed enough wear on a steel sprocket that it's actually been worth changing. I have and likely will continue to as I also suffer this emotional affliction. Aluminum OTOH, is not up to the job. The aluminum sprockets I've used broke teeth long before their new chain was ready to replace.

Unless you're racing and need to shave every ounce to cut your lap time, I'd leave the aluminum sprockets to those who do. Steel ones are a FAR better choice for the real world.
Smiley likes this.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-23-2015, 10:03 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
I'm looking forward to getting my parts....
When you wonder if parts are steel or Al - a magnet is your friend!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 11:26 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlebag View Post
Fact is, I've never noticed enough wear on a steel sprocket that it's actually been worth changing.
At about 18,000 miles I knew that my chain/sprockets were through. In the end, the OEM front sprocket was the problem. I think that I caused the most wear when I had my chain a bit too tight for some time. I am sure that you can wear steel sprockets. Then again, since half of this forum owns a Versys for about 6 months, this may never really bother them.
saddlebag likes this.

When it comes to havoc, no one wreaks like me! - Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

I will never be good and that's not bad. - Ban-Anon
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 04:48 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
When ever I have needed to change a chain, the front sprocket has been toast as well. The rear seems to last slightly longer, maybe every second chain replacement.

I highly recommend in investing in a chain breaker and rivet tool like this one. One chain change and it has more than paid for itself and you'll always have the tool. Lots of YouTube videos on how to use it. It's very easy and quick to use.

STOCKTON TOOL COMPANY - Chain Breaker and Rivet Tool Kit - Multi-Tools - Tools - Accessories - Cycle Gear
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 05:48 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

THANKS!!
Both front and rear OEM sprockets are steel. Countershaft (front) sprocket also has a rubber damper on it... Aftermarket aluminum sprockets are MORE expensive.

Last edited by invader; 11-25-2015 at 06:20 AM.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motojunkee View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post

An OEM Kawasaki KLX300 14T sprocket would most likely have the rubber damper... For about half the price at just over $12, a Yamaha OEM 14T # 5NG-17460-00-00 like I had on my 2002 WR426F has the rubber damper. It's also the same JTF 565 fit. (SC: self cleaning/lightweight)

http://www.jtsprockets.com/catalogue/sprocket/JTF565

Then there's Yamaha's WR450's OEM rubber damped 13T sprocket # 5TJ-17460-00-00
Rubber damped steel 14T: 5NG-17460-00-00 SPROCKET, DRIVE $12.65

Rubber damped steel 13T: 5TJ-17460-00-00 SPROCKET, DRIVE $12.56

Ninja 650R sprockets fit as well, available down to 12T:

Sunstar 520 Front Sprocket | SS3251x

Pit Bull Front sprocket | PBI00470-0xx

DrivenUSA Lightweight Front Sprocket | 2058-xxx-xx
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 09:41 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mursili View Post
At about 18,000 miles I knew that my chain/sprockets were through. In the end, the OEM front sprocket was the problem. I think that I caused the most wear when I had my chain a bit too tight for some time. I am sure that you can wear steel sprockets. Then again, since half of this forum owns a Versys for about 6 months, this may never really bother them.
Wait........

You mean to say purchasing the V wasn't a life long commitment!?

14 Kawasaki Versys 650 ABS (kawi green)
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-26-2015, 06:46 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I don't believe I've ever seen a front sprocket made out of Aluminum. Rear, yes. For a streetbike, I'd stick with steel. They also make some lighter steel sprockets, I forget the make, but Motomummy sells them.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-26-2015, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGalToo View Post
I don't believe I've ever seen a front sprocket made out of Aluminum. Rear, yes. For a streetbike, I'd stick with steel. They also make some lighter steel sprockets, I forget the make, but Motomummy sells them.
DrivenUSA Lightweight Front Sprocket | 2058-xxx-xx
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-26-2015, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stversys View Post
Wait........

YES it IS...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-30-2016, 07:03 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stversys View Post
Wait........

No it does not. It is just that I have not seen another consumer product other than motorcycles that people are so fickle about. Purchasing one, only to get rid of it even before the end of the first summer. Always looking for the "perfect" ride.

I definitely am happy to pay attention to the ride itself. I do not care too much about the machine that I am on. Then again, this Versys is my first motorcycle. Perhaps I just chose the perfect bike. Then again, I don't care. I am going to keep riding.
OKJohn likes this.

When it comes to havoc, no one wreaks like me! - Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

I will never be good and that's not bad. - Ban-Anon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in