Chains and sprockets - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-21-2015, 02:07 AM Thread Starter

Chains and sprockets

In my haste to put a chain on my bike when I got it and needed one, I never did find out the tensile strength of the DID VX2 gold street pro, and it's stretching at about 8k miles. Ebay is the only one selling it I could immediately see (flag), so I am going to replace it with more due diligence this time.

Hayabusa forums talk about EK chains ($200 top chain for ours) are better than RK, but the x value EK chain for our 114 link, is about $80 to $102. So now, the best steel sprockets are needed, if the EK feedback is true.

EK street chains have a 2 year unlimited mile warranty (About Us), and one mild Hayabusa rider claimed he got up to 19k miles and before it started to stretch mildly.

Please post tensile strength and warranty with chain alternatives, as well as stock oem size sprockets: top quality and value priced hopefully

Thanks!

NOTE: what got me looking at the chain, was hearing a little grinding which I think was the tight chain clearance on the muffler. If the oem chain came with a non-x ring chain, then this could be a problem since the xring is wider (!). How has anyone dealt with the tight chain to muffler clearance issue? That could be a chain-eater until rectified somehow. Thanks again!

Last edited by kawdog; 11-21-2015 at 02:34 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-21-2015, 06:13 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Answered :P

MotoMummy Chain Review - MotoMummy Forum

If you want one of the strongest EK MVXZ 520

I bought my EK MVXZ chain and PowerCommander V and AutoTune 200 from them as they were the cheapest even with International shipping
kawdog likes this.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-21-2015, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post
In my haste to put a chain on my bike when I got it and needed one, I never did find out the tensile strength of the DID VX2 gold street pro, and it's stretching at about 8k miles. Ebay is the only one selling it I could immediately see (flag), so I am going to replace it with more due diligence this time.

Hayabusa forums talk about EK chains ($200 top chain for ours) are better than RK, but the x value EK chain for our 114 link, is about $80 to $102. So now, the best steel sprockets are needed, if the EK feedback is true.

EK street chains have a 2 year unlimited mile warranty (About Us), and one mild Hayabusa rider claimed he got up to 19k miles and before it started to stretch mildly.

Please post tensile strength and warranty with chain alternatives, as well as stock oem size sprockets: top quality and value priced hopefully

Thanks!

NOTE: what got me looking at the chain, was hearing a little grinding which I think was the tight chain clearance on the muffler. If the oem chain came with a non-x ring chain, then this could be a problem since the xring is wider (!). How has anyone dealt with the tight chain to muffler clearance issue? That could be a chain-eater until rectified somehow. Thanks again!
It has nothing to do with the tensile strength of the steel. Chains don't "stretch." Their rubber gaskets simply wear out (compress) which causes their length to increase over time.

DID are fine chains, I've used many of them over the years. Adjust your chain, it'll be fine.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-21-2015, 06:42 AM

Motomummy has good prices on chain/sprocket combos. I'm no where needing to replace my V's chain. On my gsxr, I've been using the RK 520 GXW with good results. Track only, so it gets a work out!

For longer lasting on the street the EK looks like a good option.
kawdog likes this.

Last edited by HondaGalToo; 11-21-2015 at 06:44 AM.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-21-2015, 06:50 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlebag View Post
It has nothing to do with the tensile strength of the steel. Chains don't "stretch." Their rubber gaskets simply wear out (compress) which causes their length to increase over time.

DID are fine chains, I've used many of them over the years. Adjust your chain, it'll be fine.
Um... no

the chain links consist of outer and inner side plates held together by pins.
There are rollers over these pins that allow the links to rotate when going around the sprockets.

Chains with O or X or Z rubber rings have grease between the pins and rollers. The rubber rings sit between the side plates and the rollers, are just there to hold the grease in and crap out.

You can have compressed and missing rubber ring and it will NOT lengthen the chain.
It is the wearing of the pins and roller diameters from dirt and dust, as well as the thinning and deepening of the sprocket teeth that loosen the chain on a bike and why you have to adjust them.
Some chains might also stretch in the side plates - different quality in steel.
kawdog likes this.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-21-2015, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigitt View Post
Um... no

the chain links consist of outer and inner side plates held together by pins.
There are rollers over these pins that allow the links to rotate when going around the sprockets.

Chains with O or X or Z rubber rings have grease between the pins and rollers. The rubber rings sit between the side plates and the rollers, are just there to hold the grease in and crap out.

You can have compressed and missing rubber ring and it will NOT lengthen the chain.
It is the wearing of the pins and roller diameters from dirt and dust, as well as the thinning and deepening of the sprocket teeth that loosen the chain on a bike and why you have to adjust them.
Okay fine, point is, it's the pins of the thing's clearance increasing not the metal stretching.

Quote:
Some chains might also stretch in the side plates - different quality in steel.
I don't buy it. If you stretch the thing into plastic deformation, I'm guessing your moments away from having it fly apart. That's why big, high powered bikes have fat heavy chains. Who would give want all the weight and power loss of a fat chain, if you simply had to adjust a light, thin one more often.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-21-2015, 07:46 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Big heavy bike need bike heavy chains.

the strength in chains is in the union between the Pin and the side plate.

Bigger bikes have more power and torque. Bigger pins are stronger. Bigger pins need bigger side plates and then you need thicker sprockets or you'll rip the teeth off, so that means the sum of all is bigger wider and heavier chains 520 < 525 < 530

Yes some people who race need to save weight and so they put on smaller 520 chains and sprockets as they are lighter. I wonder how long these last on a race bike compared to the correct sized chain? I would think they treat chains and sprockets like oil filters.
kawdog likes this.

Last edited by Gigitt; 11-21-2015 at 07:53 AM.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-22-2015, 01:12 AM

just had my chain and sprockets changed...DID VX520 chain and Sunstar sprockets..stock up front..44t in the rear...
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-22-2015, 04:42 AM

Garage
"It is the wearing of the pins and roller diameters from dirt and dust, as well as the thinning and deepening of the sprocket teeth that loosen the chain on a bike and why you have to adjust them."

this is true. I don't believe chain links stretch either. guessing we could do the math, starting with the steel used in the links. anybody know the alloy? yield strength? gonna guess... vanadium steel... yield strength is about 110-115ksi

if I'm answering your question I assume the basic points have been addressed, such as: did you do a compression test? is it still on fire?
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-22-2015, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Big heavy bike need bike heavy chains.

the strength in chains is in the union between the Pin and the side plate.

Bigger bikes have more power and torque. Bigger pins are stronger.
Correct, because as the stress on the metal increases, the more likely you are to put it into plastic deformation. Once there, it doesn't take a whole lot more stress to snap it.
Kawasaki isn't going to spec a chain for one of their bikes that is going to be over stressed by the bike's engine.
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-22-2015, 12:50 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
...NOTE: what got me looking at the chain, was hearing a little grinding which I think was the tight chain clearance on the muffler....
Check your chain-alignment (DO NOT go by the marks on the swingarm), either w/ a tool, or string method. Here's some pics of doing it on my '08. First is mis-aligned;

second is aligned;

and next two show the swingarm marks AFTER aligning....

The side-to-side difference SEEMS small, but IS significant!!!

Quote:
....How has anyone dealt with the tight chain to muffler clearance issue? That could be a chain-eater until rectified somehow. Thanks again!
After riding over 110,000 miles among THREE Vs - I've NEVER heard of, NOR seen evidence of - "a tight chain to muffler clearance issue"....
kawdog likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 11-23-2015 at 10:05 AM.
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-22-2015, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

Well, I do need an alignment tool beyond the eyeball: it's hard to get down that low without an alignment rack. I got the Motion Pro tool on order. It probably does not take long to screw a chain up misaligned.

I'm going to get the strong EK ZVX3 chain or older ZZZ chain that is thinner width and stronger and see how that goes. 7K miles on the other chain was not bad, but it sure isn't good. Safety First! With better chain alignment, adjusted more intervals, and better/stronger chain, hopefully I can get double that or maybe better

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Check your chain-alignment (DO NOT go by the marks on the swingarm), either w/ a tool, or string method. Here's some pics of doing it on my '08. First is mis-aligned;

second is aligned;

and next two show the swingarm marks AFTER aligning....

The side-to-side difference SEEMS small, but IS significant!!!

After riding over 110,000 miles among THREE Vs - I've NEVER heard of, NOR seen evidence of - "a tight chain to muffler clearance issue"....

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 11-23-2015 at 10:05 AM.
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-22-2015, 03:19 PM

Garage
Quote:
Well, I do need an alignment tool beyond the eyeball: it's hard to get down that low without an alignment rack. I got the Motion Pro tool on order. It probably does not take long to screw a chain up misaligned.

I'm going to get the strong EK ZVX3 chain or older ZZZ chain that is thinner width and stronger and see how that goes. 7K miles on the other chain was not bad, but it sure isn't good. Safety First! With better chain alignment, adjusted more intervals, and better/stronger chain, hopefully I can get double that or maybe better

Hell i had over 22,000 miles on the stock chain when i sold the bike and it was still in great shape...
kawdog likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-22-2015, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Hell i had over 22,000 miles on the stock chain when i sold the bike and it was still in great shape...

I didn't know about the $15 alignment tool until yesterday!
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-22-2015, 05:19 PM

Garage
Quote:
I didn't know about the $15 alignment tool until yesterday!

You didn't need to buy one. You could have used mine i have a bike thats shaft drive now and just hang onto the tool until i get my next bike that will have a chain...

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-22-2015, 08:53 PM

You can also do it with a straight edge resting on the rear sprocket, and projecting out UNDER and CLOSE TO the chain's outer links, as I did... Mine needs to be half of the distance between two lines ahead on the right to be properly aligned.
kawdog likes this.
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-22-2015, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
You can also do it with a straight edge resting on the rear sprocket, and projecting out UNDER and CLOSE TO the chain's outer links, as I did... Mine needs to be half of the distance between two lines ahead on the right to be properly aligned.
Invader, do you mean 1/2 the distance of the chain rollers between the links?

I guess this may not be a good thing for my uni-piece rear fender and chain guard: they are both going to have to be removed every chain adjustment. Oh well, ...

Last edited by kawdog; 11-22-2015 at 09:32 PM.
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-22-2015, 09:48 PM

Quote:

Only 7000 miles on a chain is terrible!! I've never gotten less than 18k on a chain in my life and that includes some made in the 60's. Don't know what you're doing or not doing, but something is not right somewhere.
Has anyone else gotten that few miles on a chain just riding on the hwys.? Could it be the air in LA?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-22-2015, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Invader, do you mean 1/2 the distance of the chain rollers between the links?
For my rear wheel to be properly aligned, the rear axle needs to be moved forward on the right side, by half the distance between swingarm reference lines, which you relate to when adjusting your chain tension.
kawdog likes this.
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-22-2015, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
For my rear wheel to be properly aligned, the rear axle needs to be moved forward on the right side, by half the distance between swingarm reference lines, which you relate to when adjusting your chain tension.
Ok, so you calibrate it to the lines on the axle and then you don't have to pull it out every time you adjust your chain. Thanks! Maybe I can keep the dual fender/chain guard. Because you are going to have to strip parts off to use it no matter what configuration you have anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode