Tire wear, when to change? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-05-2015, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Tire wear, when to change?

I have 5k on my '15 650 and the rear tire is already squared off pretty good.

The center wear indicators floated away around the 3k mark after a long trip, but the sides are still good with deep tread.

I've ridden about 1000 miles going full blast so far so I know that really shreds my tires, but is this normal? I ride very hard, 0-100 all the time, mostly highway.

Do the better tires resist this kind of wear better? Are the stock tires considered to be good or just 'stock'? Really feels like the stock tire didn't have much tread on it to begin with. My friends 'nice' tire has way deeper tread.

Do I need to change this tire? Seems like I'd be doing it every other month or 3000 miles at this rate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-05-2015, 11:20 AM

Garage
Stock tires on my 09 were garbage...At the time i put a set of Michelin PR3's on it and got 10,000 miles out of that set. Had 7,000 miles on the second set of PR3's when i sold the bike and the tires were in good shape. They now have PR4's out and i'm on my second set of those on my FJR the first set i also got 10,000 miles out of.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-05-2015, 11:37 AM

I got 5k on my original equip. tires. On the old Beemer i got 12,300 miles on a set of Michelin PR-2s, understand the PR-3s are better but they didn't have the needed 18" rear. But to get to the point, the michelins are expensive and both front and rear wore together, 350.00 to replace. I have good results with Shinko tires. With Verge and Ravens I get about 6k to 7k on the rear and 12k on he front. Set of Ravens cost around 175.00, just replacing the rear for that 12k goal. That comes to around 270.00 give or take. I change my own tires so I can't factor in shop costs. Ymmv.......

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-05-2015, 11:52 AM

You can get a set of T30s for around 200. I have them on a heavier bike, but they handle and wear well.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 06:17 AM

once the center hits the wear bars I pull it and replace. if heading into winter or a trip then i'll replace earlier.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 08:09 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modake View Post
I have 5k on my '15 650 and the rear tire is already squared off pretty good.

The center wear indicators floated away around the 3k mark after a long trip, but the sides are still good with deep tread.

I've ridden about 1000 miles going full blast so far so I know that really shreds my tires, but is this normal? I ride very hard, 0-100 all the time, mostly highway.

Do the better tires resist this kind of wear better? Are the stock tires considered to be good or just 'stock'? Really feels like the stock tire didn't have much tread on it to begin with. My friends 'nice' tire has way deeper tread.

Do I need to change this tire? Seems like I'd be doing it every other month or 3000 miles at this rate.
Mine looked like this when I changed it

Stock tyres are ... adequate. I like Michelin PR4's but they aint cheap.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 08:09 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickAus View Post
Mine looked like this when I changed it

Stock tyres are ... adequate. I like Michelin PR4's but they aint cheap.
Looks like you were due for a tire change

14 Kawasaki Versys 650 ABS (kawi green)
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 08:43 AM

Garage
I get good wear out of PR-2s and they are cheaper than the newer versions, but all tires are affected by a few factors. The most wear occurs in very hot weather, with gross vehicle weight, tire pressure, road surface and velocity affecting longevity. Some brands are more affected than others. Dual compound tires are the best wearing in my experience. A pure sport tire with a soft compound will always be the first to wear out.

It's all down to balancing handling qualities with acceptable wear, and that choice will be different for many riders. As we are all on the same bike, rider weight and inflation pressure is probably a deciding factor.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 11:23 AM
Super Moderator

So far I have to say that the original tires on my '15 will NOT give me the same mileage I got from the OEMs on my '08 and '09. BTW - they ARE different Dunlops from the early ones. At about 8,600 kms the rear's pretty much 'toast'....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Ok, I wasn't sure if it was my riding style or not. I know I'm hard on them but I didn't expect needing new ones three months after I bought the bike.

I have a very wide and flat wear strip on the tire. All highway, not much cornering.

A set of great new tires for under $500? Sounds awesome. Tires are super important so I want the best, just like on cars.
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 01:42 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modake View Post
Ok, I wasn't sure if it was my riding style or not. I know I'm hard on them but I didn't expect needing new ones three months after I bought the bike.

I have a very wide and flat wear strip on the tire. All highway, not much cornering.

A set of great new tires for under $500? Sounds awesome. Tires are super important so I want the best, just like on cars.

www.jakewilson.com always has good rices on tires and www.RidersDiscount.com does also and they will match prices and hey are also a forum sponsor.... If you go with the PR4's you don't need the GT version those are for heavier bikes like my FJR..

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

Last edited by weljo2001; 11-06-2015 at 01:44 PM.
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 03:44 PM

I have seen mention of the T30 here and other places. I am saving the information in a file for when I need new tires. Who is the maker on these of the T30?? Thx, Chuck Edit: Skip that, I found in another thread that they are Brigestones.

Forty years away from 2 wheel fun. Sure is great to be back smelling the roses!!!

Last edited by cjcintucson; 11-06-2015 at 04:28 PM.
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-07-2015, 01:02 AM

Garage
Yep Bridgestone the T30 is the replacement for the BT023
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-07-2015, 01:50 PM
Super Moderator

I haven't run a set for awhile, but I was VERY happy when I did run Continental ContiMotions (3 or 4 sets) on my Vs, and they're fairly inexpensive TOO!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-07-2015, 02:17 PM

What amount of air pressure are you guys using in your Versys 650 tires?
I ask because, on our Valkyries, if we used the Honda recommended tire pressure, our bikes would "eat" the tires.
To correct this, we simply added 3 or more lbs of pressure to the OEM indicated pressure.
From then on, the tire mileage performance was a lot better.
Note: The maximum air pressure is indicated on the side of every tire. We figured that tire companies are more knowledgeable in that area than the motorcycle companies.

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-07-2015, 02:47 PM

Garage
38 - 42 rear 34 - 36 front
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-07-2015, 04:36 PM

33 front, 36 rear per the owner's manual.
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-07-2015, 04:56 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by quexpress View Post
What amount of air pressure are you guys using in your Versys 650 tires?
I ask because, on our Valkyries, if we used the Honda recommended tire pressure, our bikes would "eat" the tires.
To correct this, we simply added 3 or more lbs of pressure to the OEM indicated pressure.
The unspoken factor here is gross vehicle weight. The weight of the rider plus whatever gear he is hauling is very pertinent. Let's be honest about his: the average North American is over-weight. Let me re-phrase that, we are fat and we haul too much crap around with us.

Kawasaki likely base the tire pressure recommendations upon the optimum handling characteristics of the tire plus the weight of the V and the weight of an average Japanese rider, not us fat-arsed North Americans hauling around every trinket he or she feels they must have with them at all times!

No, I'm not good at politically correct. To me, that is like trying to pick up a turd from the clean end. I'm not good at that either.

32 psi front, 36 rear. If I'm hauling gear on a trip I will boost pressure about 2psi. I weigh about 195 lb geared up.

Last edited by Smiley; 11-07-2015 at 05:00 PM. Reason: additional info
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-07-2015, 05:26 PM
BKP

Garage
Stockers were decent, but absolutely not confidence inspiring in the wet, or in hot corners... swapped them out around 4k, for PR4s... Difference in handling and stickiness is epic...
When they square off significantly they can start misbehaving in certain situations and turn radii... I'd think about new rubber...

Ride safe...

Barry
2015 Versys 650 Pearl White
[space holder for farkles...]
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-07-2015, 06:07 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKP View Post
When they square off significantly they can start misbehaving in certain situations and turn radii... I'd think about new rubber...
Perfectly put.
When the transition to leaning in has a pronounced edge, a falling-in feeling, I admit it to myself: that tire is past it's best by-date.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode