Raising seat? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-01-2015, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

Raising seat?

Any posts with mods that are designed to raise the saddle height? I've looked but I haven't found any that I think will work for me.

Before you ask, these are the mods I've already done:

Raised the front of the seat with a DIY bracket.
Installed lower the footpegs.
Stuffed foam inside the base of the saddle.
Bought an airhawk, but I don't find it very comfortable.

Any other suggestions? I think at this stage I need to put more foam inside the saddle, but I can't find any threads threads that show that. Most people seem to cut a hole in the saddle and drop a gal pad in. I need mine higher.

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-01-2015, 07:20 PM

There are a couple of aftermarket seat manufacturers you could call on to see if they can stitch something together for you. Seat Concepts comes to mind as one but I know there are a couple more that will custom make a seat for you.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-01-2015, 07:49 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyboy View Post
Bought an airhawk, but I don't find it very comfortable.
Just saying did you follow the instructions with the airhawk? Most people blow them up too hard they only need a couple of psi to work correctly. Also if you only used it for a couple of minutes and decided you didn't like it (as I did) perhaps you would get used to it with a longer ride.
Other than that I suggest you go to an upholsterer and have a chat with them. I had a local guy do my seat and it was great. It helped that he also rode bikes himself.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-01-2015, 09:20 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
The only real way to raise the seat is to get it redone by an uphoster. They can cut the foam and add layers to raise it... and if you are doing this get them to reshape it to fit.

Raising the the front mount is a quick fix, but IMHO it opens up the under seat area to more water and dirt.

Seat Concepts I don't think offer a Tall seat option, but my SC heavy duty foam base did raise the seat front ~5cm higher.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-02-2015, 09:35 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigitt View Post

Seat Concepts I don't think offer a Tall seat option, but my SC heavy duty foam base did raise the seat front ~5cm higher.
Wrote to SC and they don't do "raising"

But they do mention that the firmer foam add a bit of height

If I ever find the time, I will mold a positive and a negative of the frame under the seat and the pan under the seat, try to match those and make a final mold to pour aluminium, hence making a custon riser (think that 2" would be enough) ... Being thinking about this for a while, but my comprehension of pouring that thing is a bit limited and I need to think this true before I get to a foundery where I'm shure things will be expensive ...

That or find a total V and cut and weld the seating area frame onto the existing frame while making shure that it's welded a bit higher. But that's another challenge ... Don't whant the bike to look like Frankestein ...

LOP

LOP
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-02-2015, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray h View Post
There are a couple of aftermarket seat manufacturers you could call on to see if they can stitch something together for you. Seat Concepts comes to mind as one but I know there are a couple more that will custom make a seat for you.
They are all quite expensive, and none of them seem much higher than the stock seat. I've read some people pay 100s for aftermarket seats, then plop an airhawk on top. Doesn't sound right to me. To be honest, I was hoping to do something myself, but don't want to end up with a lumpy seat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickAus View Post
Just saying did you follow the instructions with the airhawk? Most people blow them up too hard they only need a couple of psi to work correctly. Also if you only used it for a couple of minutes and decided you didn't like it (as I did) perhaps you would get used to it with a longer ride.
Other than that I suggest you go to an upholsterer and have a chat with them. I had a local guy do my seat and it was great. It helped that he also rode bikes himself.
I've tried it every which way. I even tried it with a piece of camping foam under the bladder. I will keep experimenting with psi. Maybe I will get used to it. The problem for me is that I am aware of it. It feels like I'm sitting on a crease.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigitt View Post
The only real way to raise the seat is to get it redone by an uphoster. They can cut the foam and add layers to raise it... and if you are doing this get them to reshape it to fit.

Raising the the front mount is a quick fix, but IMHO it opens up the under seat area to more water and dirt.

I think I may go the upholsterer route. I imagine it could be costly though. I wonder if I'd need a new cover if I were to pad the seat up?

I see the name Seat Concepts popping up again and again in the forums. I must take a closer look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lours_Polaire View Post
Wrote to SC and they don't do "raising"

But they do mention that the firmer foam add a bit of height

If I ever find the time, I will mold a positive and a negative of the frame under the seat and the pan under the seat, try to match those and make a final mold to pour aluminium, hence making a custon riser (think that 2" would be enough) ... Being thinking about this for a while, but my comprehension of pouring that thing is a bit limited and I need to think this true before I get to a foundery where I'm shure things will be expensive ...

That or find a total V and cut and weld the seating area frame onto the existing frame while making shure that it's welded a bit higher. But that's another challenge ... Don't whant the bike to look like Frankestein ...

LOP

LOP
Not entirely sure what you're planning there. Would you not end up with big gaps either side the seat?
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-02-2015, 05:34 PM

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by CamBkm; 11-30-2015 at 04:42 PM.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-02-2015, 05:50 PM

Come up with a "butt mold" or 3d mapping that you could sit on that would make an impression of your ass. Then the seat maker with hip/legs in the same plane of your motorcycle could custom make a seat that would totally encompass your ass. Personal fit, no one else would be comfortable with this but you. That would be my ultimate seat.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-02-2015, 06:04 PM

Garage
I had mine widened to provide extra support under my legs cost $200 Australian, well worth it. You can see in the photo the stock seat widened against the Kawasaki lowered gel seat.

Lours_Polaire likes this.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 07:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamBkm View Post
Instead of trying to give you endless direction without knowing your end goal, let me ask... what is your overall objective? Is the seat not comfortable? If so, how does it hurt? Does it lean you in an undesirable riding position?
Give a few details as to what you hope to solve/accomplish.
I'm looking for higher, softer, and flatter. My knees are too bent at the moment. I have pretty much tackled flatter with a new seat bracket. There's plenty of posts on softer (e.g. cut a hole in the seat foam and insert a gel pad). I haven't seen a good (non lumpy) DIY solution to higher yet. Might be too difficult for an amateur, so I might just pay a guy to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markie Motard View Post
Come up with a "butt mold" or 3d mapping that you could sit on that would make an impression of your ass. Then the seat maker with hip/legs in the same plane of your motorcycle could custom make a seat that would totally encompass your ass. Personal fit, no one else would be comfortable with this but you. That would be my ultimate seat.
Interesting idea!

Quote:
I had mine widened to provide extra support under my legs cost $200 Australian, well worth it. You can see in the photo the stock seat widened against the Kawasaki lowered gel seat.
Nice looking seat. I was hoping to get in and out for less than 200, (I'm actually saving my shekels for a slip on pipe), but if I have to spend it, I will.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 07:04 AM Thread Starter

Sorry to keep pestering you all.

Will the original seat cover still fit if I build up the saddle foam an inch or two?

Cheers
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 08:43 AM

Garage
Quote:

Not entirely sure what you're planning there. Would you not end up with big gaps either side the seat?
Of course that would be address and depending of the height wanted, a piece of aluminium or steel (something with a nice finish of course) would be either welded to the upper and lower part to fill the gap AND be the structural piece that olds everything together. OR it could be molded/poured in to the original mold (see the jpeg for better comprehension, kind of a simple cross section but you get the idea)

Like I said, I still don't have it all figured out, but it's pretty clear in my head

Have to figure how much $$$ all this could cost, find a founderie, make shure the I can do the mold, with what base material (sand, plaster, other) and find the time

LOP
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cross section.jpg (29.6 KB, 170 views)
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 12:02 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I'm looking for higher, softer, and flatter. My knees are too bent at the moment....
Have you tried lowering the footpegs to increase the rider triangle?

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I'm looking for higher, softer, and flatter. My knees are too bent at the moment....
Have you tried lowering the footpegs to increase the rider triangle, or raising the handle-bars??

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 04:19 PM

Cool

Quote:
Looks great! How was this accomplished? i.e.: Did the seat pan need to be modified, or only the padding and upholstering?
Thanks!

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 05:39 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by quexpress View Post
Looks great! How was this accomplished? i.e.: Did the seat pan need to be modified, or only the padding and upholstering?
Thanks!
He added padding to the seat and had me ride it without the seat cover just to see if it felt ok. When I said it felt good he covered it. I'm sorry I don't know if he used the original seat cover or made a new one. I'm guessing the latter.
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Have you tried lowering the footpegs to increase the rider triangle, or raising the handle-bars??
I've already lowered the pegs, but maybe I could get them lowered a bit more. Get a bracket made up. That's a thought.

I haven't addressed the bars yet, and I wasn't planning to. I like a bit of a forward lean - I find it easier on the back.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 05:48 PM

Garage
Quote:
I've already lowered the pegs, but maybe I could get them lowered a bit more. Get a bracket made up. That's a thought.

I haven't addressed the bars yet, and I wasn't planning to. I like a bit of a forward lean - I find it easier on the back.
Just be aware if you lower them more you may touch them if you ride "spiritedly". My foot pegs and suspension were both lowered and would occasionally touch a peg.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 06:25 PM

What year is your Versys? I modified an 08 seat and required an upholsterer to staple the cover back in place because the area where the staples needed to be inserted was very narrow. Modified a 2015 seat in August after performing the standard raising of the front bracket, which you have also done. I cut pieces of 3/4 " foam pipe insulation and added it to the frame tubing to eliminate any rocking. Like you, I tried and returned an " Airhawk" cushion. It was okay for cruising but the rolling sensation on twisty sections didn't suit me regardless of the air pressure. Tried the following instead.
Peel back cover, leaving the back section intact.
Cut away the slightly raised section of foam both at front and rear of seat. ( about 1/2" thick worked for me)
Cover entire foam area of seat with 3/4 " high density upholstering foam. Try it out. If it feels okay.
Pull existing cover back over and staple. Plenty of space to get most staplers to work.
Rode 12,000 km in 18 days with this modification . Personal preference but the flatter seat allows me to slide forward and back and change pressure points. Also reminds me of my motocross days.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 06:28 PM

Quote:
He added padding to the seat and had me ride it without the seat cover just to see if it felt ok. When I said it felt good he covered it. I'm sorry I don't know if he used the original seat cover or made a new one. I'm guessing the latter.
Thank you!

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode