Advice-need new rear tire can i keep the orig. front - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Advice-need new rear tire can i keep the orig. front

Need a new rear tire and only have a little over 3k and the front stock tire looks fine yet. Can i put a Avon storm ST on the rear and not replace the front without any problem in handling? I am not that much of an aggressive rider and almost all pavement. Should be fine right? thanks guys

Yamaha Secca II
1600 Classic-sold
08 Verseys
1986 Corvette

Life is not a practice run. Enjoy each and every day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 08:42 PM

Hey Dean,

I have run mix and match on every bike I've had and it has been ok. When I had the Buell I ran some odd sizes (all I could get that day) after flatting on a longish trip and it was a little different feeling but worked out.

Glad to see you are riding, I need to host a back roads/gravel V ride some time this summer. Thinking here north toward MacGreggor with some gravel and those little roads by the river, or the same sort of stuff down south your way. It would be a good break in for your tire.

Paul (in DBQ)
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 09:45 PM

As long as you don't forget that a new tire in the rear doesn't improve the grip in the front and try to push it harder than you did previously because you have a new and better tire in the rear, you should have no problems.

Gustavo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 10:38 PM

I just put on a new Storm on the front and a new Pilot Road 2 on the rear. Did 60 miles of good chip seal this afternoon for a scrub in. I would have put a Pilot Road 2 on the front but I had the Storm left over from the FJR. They feel fine.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 01:31 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Always use 2 of the same make of tyre, never ever mix makes. Look at it this way, if you mix them and come off and damage your bike, your bike insurer will more than likely refuse your claim.
Moreover different tyres heat up at a different rate so there is always a problem. How I know, I don't mix tires-BT016 Front & Back.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 08:38 AM

I prefer not to mis match tires. I put a rear on my cbr that didn't work well with the front so i just try and avoid it. The turn in was crazy.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 11:26 AM

I mixed a Dunlop 616 w/ the stock rear and it felt way better than the matched stock ever did. Go ahead and mix it.
I probably would not if you were a fast track rider, but your riding should be zero probs.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 12:57 PM

I've been riding for 40 years on the street. I have mixed tires many, many times. I have even run a radial and bias-ply of mixed brands at the same time (not recommended).

I have never had an "issue". Some combinations work better than others; most work just fine. I won't throw away a perfectly good tire to ensure I always have a set of matched new tires. That's just me.

I currently have a BT021 Bridgestone on the front and a Shinko Raven on the rear. They work fine. When the front wears out, I will mount a matching Raven.

You can always just replace the rear, and if you don't like the feel (give it some time), then mount a new tire up front.

Life's too short to be paranoid and anxious.

Michael
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 03:52 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
Always use 2 of the same make of tyre, never ever mix makes. Look at it this way, if you mix them and come off and damage your bike, your bike insurer will more than likely refuse your claim.
Moreover different tyres heat up at a different rate so there is always a problem. How I know, I don't mix tires-BT016 Front & Back.

I respectfully disagree with you, Fastoman. I just installed Shinko Trail Master tires, front and rear, on my KLR, and besides how much I like them, I've noticed that the front tire warms SLIGHTLY while the rear gets close to HOT!

FWIW, I replace whichever tire wears out, and ride till the other needs replacing too, whether or not they "match".

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 03:56 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael95453 View Post
I've been riding for 40 years on the street. I have mixed tires many, many times. I have even run a radial and bias-ply of mixed brands at the same time (not recommended). Michael
Have to respectfully disagree with you TOO, Michael. Check it out - some Triumphs come with radial/ bias tire mix from the factory. DON'T EVER mix them on a car, but OK on a bike because, while cars corner in "yaw", motorcycles don't (UNLESS you really screw up, or ride dirt-track....).

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 04:38 PM

Ed,

I just said I did it and didn't recommend it. It worked great on the R80G/S I had with a 19" rim on the front. I had the radial tire on the front, bias in the rear. I doubt the factory does that?

Cheers,

Michael
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano View Post
Need a new rear tire and only have a little over 3k and the front stock tire looks fine yet. Can i put a Avon storm ST on the rear and not replace the front without any problem in handling? I am not that much of an aggressive rider and almost all pavement. Should be fine right? thanks guys
Right now I have a matching set of PR2 but the best setup that I had on the Versys so far was a sport tire in the front and a sport touring tire in the back. The extra grip and extra precision in the front was great and the back was just right with a BT21

Charles Leblanc
2007 Versys
Givi Windshield and side case
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-03-2010, 10:34 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael95453 View Post
Ed,

I just said I did it and didn't recommend it. It worked great on the R80G/S I had with a 19" rim on the front. I had the radial tire on the front, bias in the rear. I doubt the factory does that?

Cheers,

Michael
All I can say, Michael, is that some Triumphs came from the factory with a radial/ bias mix. As you say - it worked GREAT on your BMW!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-03-2010, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
All I can say, Michael, is that some Triumphs came from the factory with a radial/ bias mix. As you say - it worked GREAT on your BMW!
Some BMW come like that from the factory too...

Gustavo

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode