De-Tune Throttle - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
De-Tune Throttle

I am a newbie on a Versys 650 and I think I may have gotten too much bike for my skill level. I am having difficulty controlling the throttle smoothly. Is it possible to de-tune the throttle? Can I do this myself? I would like it to give me power more slowly. The bike has way more power than I need so I would happily give up power to make the throttle easier to control.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015, 11:15 AM

try controlling it with the clutch
also highly recommend going to a 44 tooth rear sprocket, it really helps tame the throttle responce
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015, 11:51 AM

Garage
I can say that I had the same off/on throttle issue when I first got the versys, I'm now about 2000 miles into it and have gotten to more used to it and feel I have more control, still not perfect, but better, so.. perhaps give it a little time.
Lours_Polaire likes this.

Glen 08 Red

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015, 12:16 PM

Garage
I second Millarg on that !

Also, upshifting at a lower RPM, like 3500, would render your bike more manageable

Finally, somewhere on this forum, their's a mod on the fuel injection system, often mention by Invader (I also think that he is the one that came out with that mod), that seems to get the throttle a bit more easier to handle. You should do a search on that matter (also it's a do it yourself kind of thing)

My 2 cents

LOP
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015, 01:58 PM
RMS

some where in this forum, they have talked about the over sea`s bike`s that have a jumper wire placed in to the under seat wire harness to reduce to power of the engine
this is used for new riders until they can qualifies for more power.
I am not Shure that will work with a US,, E.C.U
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks all - very helpful input.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015, 07:59 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMS View Post
some where in this forum, they have talked about the over sea`s bike`s that have a jumper wire placed in to the under seat wire harness to reduce to power of the engine
this is used for new riders until they can qualifies for more power.
I am not Shure that will work with a US,, E.C.U
Probably not work with US ECU and it only reduces top end power, won't do anything for "Jerkiness".
Sorg67 you will eventually get used to it
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015, 08:22 PM

Try Grip Buddies which are gel pads that tape onto grips. It makes easier throttle leverage, but turns the throttle less. Plus it will reduce carpal tunnel and vibration trauma which may make you spasmodically jerk the smaller diameter throttle. Maybe the best $25 or $20 spent.

Of course this is if you are 6' or above to fit your hands better, on the average. If your grip is too small, you will lose your grip when it accelerates. If that is so, just give it time and you will get used to it.

And try goat skin gloves, they are very supple and cheap; and if you need to waterproof the leather, there is a 303 uv/waterproof spray. Goat skins are the very best feeling gloves and they are only $25 to $35 (lined.)

Last edited by kawdog; 10-15-2015 at 08:32 PM.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohburn View Post
try controlling it with the clutch

also highly recommend going to a 44 tooth rear sprocket, it really helps tame the throttle responce

Or go to a 16 tooth front sprocket. Definitely - either choice is best for more control.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-16-2015, 12:30 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Relax a bit and don't hold the throttle tight. Remember, you are the boss not the throttle. You will get used to it.

Use lower gear and keep a steady throttle control. Try it on low speed and you can gradually improve throttle response.

Be safe..
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-17-2015, 10:25 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I found my new off the showroom floor 650 had too much play in the throttle. The cables were a bit too slack, so making a transition to more or less throttle was jerky. It was easy enough to take some of the slack out, which reduced that sudden jerkiness and also added a bit of friction into the system.

Grip Puppies helped with hand cramps and added a bit of mushiness to the throttle feel. I'm kinda torn on whether I'll leave them on. They really did cure the hand cramps but I don't like the disconnected feel from the handlebars. But if the goal is to get more smoothness in throttle feel, the Grip Puppies or something similar may be a help.
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-17-2015, 11:44 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorg67 View Post
I am a newbie on a Versys 650 and I think I may have gotten too much bike for my skill level. I am having difficulty controlling the throttle smoothly. Is it possible to de-tune the throttle? Can I do this myself? I would like it to give me power more slowly. The bike has way more power than I need so I would happily give up power to make the throttle easier to control.
Where are you located?
Does your 650 have O2 sensor?

the stock sprockets are 15/46 front/rear
the stock final drive ratios makes the gearing a bit hooligan like... that is making the bike feel like it has a close ratio gearbox - bit like a dirt bike/motard.
So for slow city riding the throttle response can seem harsh.

If you change the sprockets either to 16/46 or 15/44 or 15/45 it will tame the harshness, and also give you better cruising with lower rpms and a bit more tank range.

I run 16/46 and it tames the gearing so that I can still hoon around, but also 1st gear is usable now in city traffic and tight harpins

You can also try synchonising the throttle bodies... has it been done recently or checked? it really does smooth out the low rpm a bit and reduces the off and on throttle jerk you might be experiencing.
There is also the Throttle Bodies link mod - where you connect the L+R TB by linking them with a short hose via the synchronising nipples - this can reduce uneven pulses at low rpms and smooth throttle response a bit.

Don't strangle the grips.
Being too tense makes for twitchy throttle changes due to arm pump.
Relax your grip. We were told in learner school pretend the grips are tubes of toothpaste with cap off... you only need to hold it enough so that you don't squeeze out the tooth paste!

If you have big hands (4xl gloves) then grip puppies / pu55y grips etc really help reduce cramps in the hands by increasing the grip diameter - and reduces vibrations a bit.

This is my 1st road bike, Bought it because I'm a tall fat arse with a bad back.
I have the restricted learner bike in with 02 sensors and Cat.
The restrictions are not that noticeable compared to the derestricted bike - I still rarely use more then 70% throttle!

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Gigitt; 10-17-2015 at 11:49 PM.
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-18-2015, 08:30 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
you could put the restrictor screw in and it will keep you from turning your throttle more then i think 1/3rd

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-18-2015, 08:52 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
you could put the restrictor screw in and it will keep you from turning your throttle more then i think 1/3rd
I have a restricted bike, the throttle stop screw only allows 0-70% throttle.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-18-2015, 01:08 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly-Sig View Post
I found my new off the showroom floor 650 had too much play in the throttle. The cables were a bit too slack, so making a transition to more or less throttle was jerky. It was easy enough to take some of the slack out, which reduced that sudden jerkiness and also added a bit of friction into the system.

Grip Puppies helped with hand cramps and added a bit of mushiness to the throttle feel. I'm kinda torn on whether I'll leave them on. They really did cure the hand cramps but I don't like the disconnected feel from the handlebars. But if the goal is to get more smoothness in throttle feel, the Grip Puppies or something similar may be a help.
There's a company that sells throttles to replace yours. Go to
g2ergo.com and check it out. I saw their advert in CYCLE WORLD.
Fly-Sig likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-18-2015, 04:28 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Vacuum synching the throttle bodies which may help, is due at 7500 miles... Make sure your throttle cable slack is not excessive.

Does yours have the evaporative system's charcoal canister as found on California models? If not, what will definitely help soften low end throttle control regardless of if it's properly synched is by coupling both TB's vacuum fitting with a 6" long 5/32" vacuum hose. You may also help cure the lean stumble which is worse near 2800 rpm, by rotating your main (lower) throttle sensor counterclockwise by about half a millimeter... Are you at low elevation above sea level?
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-18-2015, 05:40 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
I know they make throttle stops for bikes like the R1..1/4 throttle..1/2 throttle...maybe something like that...
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I put one of those on my bike. I like it, it smooths out the initial throttle response. It's an easily reversible mod if you want to return it to stock at some point.
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 09:16 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
went over to the website...nice product..I'm definitely considering the quick throttle so I won't have to really reach for that last bit of twist...thanks for the info....
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 09:27 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadams66 View Post
I know they make throttle stops for bikes like the R1..1/4 throttle..1/2 throttle...maybe something like that...
ya thats exactly what i was talking about

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode