Questions on bypassing the ABS on a 2015 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By twowheels
  • 1 Post By chadams66

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-22-2015, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

Questions on bypassing the ABS on a 2015

Hello I would like to bypass the ABS on the 2015 versys 650.
I hate the Hate the abs to mushy of a feeling in the break handle.
I would like to remover the abs system on the motorcycle.
I have few questions.
1 . If I where to switch over too stainless steel braided lines. From the master cylinder straight to the calipers. Would this cause any adverse affect with the computer.

2. Remove the whole abs system from motor cycle. and stick into a box for when I sell it.

3 what problems will I have if I do all this

4. Has any one switched out the rubber lines on the abs system to stainless steel. to try and improve the feel of the breaks. If so where did you order your lines.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-22-2015, 05:17 PM

Garage
ABS is inactive UNTIL you lock up a wheel. It is not activated during normal braking. It is only functioning if you feel the brake lever pulsing. It has no effect on brake feel otherwise. Stainless Steel brake lines will improve the firmness of the feel at the lever IF you do a good bleed job after installing them. Even a minute amount of air left in the lines after bleeding will contribute to a feeling of mushyness. I would not recommend bypassing the ABS system given that it is an expensive feature with great benefits and no real downside. Stopping distances are much shorter with ABS too. Magazine tests have shown only a highly experienced motorcycle race rider can brake anywhere near as effectively as ABS at near lock conditions.

I currently use a short lever on the brake side (only) with Gaffer SS lines. There is a definate improvement. I've compared my bike to a new bike and it is very noticeable. There is also an improvement in brake feel (although not related to mushyness) with good quality pads like EBS HH pads. They seem to have a more linear relationship between resistance on the rotor and resistance at the lever than the stock pads.

Another issue to consider is the Versys, like all bikes with long travel suspension, has a lot of fork compression during hard braking. This is unavoidable and may contribute to a sensation of poor braking ability for some, which is not really the case.

SS Brake lines, at least the ones I have, run from each caliper to the brake lever, rather than having a single line with a pass over line above the fender. Note you need a different model of SS lines with ABS equipped bikes compared to non ABS bikes. This makes them easier to bleed, but also interfered with my installation of Barkbuster hand guards which I had to remove. I first tried to extend the mount which sort of worked however the right guard then hit the windshield and reduced my ability to make tight left turns. Can't say I miss my hand guards after removing them though. They made no noticeable difference in hand warmth in cold weather.

Quote:
Definition:
brake - mechanism that stops a vehicle (n); to slow down (v)
break - to render something inoperable
MaverickAus and saddlebag like this.

Last edited by twowheels; 09-22-2015 at 06:20 PM.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-22-2015, 06:39 PM

Allowing the air out of the crossover brake hose that runs over the front fender made a huge difference on my 2007. I was then no longer able to squeeze the front brake lever anywhere close to the hand grip as I could before... This was accomplished by removing the calipers from the forks to run the hoses horizontally, while tapping on the calipers to help release all air bubbles.

Upgrading to Vesrah HH sintered brake pads improved it considerably as well, even if the original Tokico pads are HH rated as well.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-22-2015, 07:29 PM

remove the ABS???? nooooooo...
BEACHBUM likes this.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 02:51 AM

If you want to ride so hard that you consider removing ABS to shave off fractions of a second, you got the wrong bike anyway

The mushiness is likely not caused by the extra ABS piping in itself but rather by a poor bleed job. The bike comes from the factory without the fluids, so the dealer is responsible for pouring in brake fluid and bleeding the system. That's harder to do properly with ABS (the piping is more complex so more places for air bubbles to hide) but once it's done right, you shouldn't feel any problems.

Also, as twowheels said, you might be getting that feeling due to the pronounced diving. Did you ride on another 2015 Versys 650 without ABS to compare?

2015 Versys 650
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 03:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Big_Mac_ View Post
If you want to ride so hard that you consider removing ABS to shave off fractions of a second, you got the wrong bike anyway

The mushiness is likely not caused by the extra ABS piping in itself but rather by a poor bleed job. The bike comes from the factory without the fluids, so the dealer is responsible for pouring in brake fluid and bleeding the system. That's harder to do properly with ABS (the piping is more complex so more places for air bubbles to hide) but once it's done right, you shouldn't feel any problems.

Also, as twowheels said, you might be getting that feeling due to the pronounced diving. Did you ride on another 2015 Versys 650 without ABS to compare?
I am comparing this to my old 2011 with out the abs
Friend now owns it.
It has stock pads and steel braided lines.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 03:21 AM

If it has/had steel braided lines, it must've been bled when they were replaced. That might have actually improved the feeling more than changing the material of the lines. Fluids don't compress, even if the piping is long there should be no noticeable softness. However, it's not as easy to get the air out of an ABS system. For example, the last-gen Versys had 5 hoses in the ABS version and just 2 for the non-ABS version (one for each disc).

I'd focus on that instead of bypassing a very useful safety feature.

2015 Versys 650
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 08:39 AM

This is from a FORMER Versys rider hoping not to offend you folks on this forum.
1. The brakes on my 2008 were never as firm, solid, and powerful as brakes on other motorcycles I've had.
2. ABS is a GOOD thing and it does work. I was doubtful at first but now I'm a believer.
3. As others have said - if they are mushy there is air in the system.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motojunkee View Post
Hello I would like to bypass the ABS on the 2015 versys 650.
I hate the Hate the abs to mushy of a feeling in the break handle.
I would like to remover the abs system on the motorcycle.
I have few questions.
1 . If I where to switch over too stainless steel braided lines. From the master cylinder straight to the calipers. Would this cause any adverse affect with the computer.

2. Remove the whole abs system from motor cycle. and stick into a box for when I sell it.

3 what problems will I have if I do all this

4. Has any one switched out the rubber lines on the abs system to stainless steel. to try and improve the feel of the breaks. If so where did you order your lines.

Thanks
FWIW- I find that the brakes on my '15 650 are WAY-Y-Y better (and firmer at the lever!) than on either of my older Vs (BTW- I upgraded the '08 by changing the master cylinder to one from an '09 Ninja 650 - MUCH better now)!

Like others - I think you need a PROPER bleeding done.

MY understanding of our ABS systems, is that its "fail-safe" is to go to non-ABS if the system mal-functions.

I would NOT suggest changing it....

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 01:20 PM

Eddie is right on. My 15 has some of the best brakes of any bike I've owned. Much better then my 09 Versys. I find the ABS non intrusive. Like has been said, bleed your brakes and I think you'll see a big improvement.

I spent most of my money on bikes, booze and broads. The rest I wasted.

I'd like to have a bad day, just to see what it feels like.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 08:48 AM

I had a 2010 non-ABS Versys and later got a 2014 with ABS, both have the same feel on the brakes. Removing the ABS will not make up for the crappy calipers and master cylinder.

By the way, they do come with brake fluid, the dealer does not have to bleed the brakes. I know because I got to play with my 2014 while it was still in the crate.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 10:30 PM

LOL! My 2015 ABS kicks butt over my 08 KLR650! Talk about bad brakes!
Seriously now, I had to retrain my self and trust the ABS. I try to lean back and grab as much brake as I can, at least once a week, to get use to the feel of the ABS and how well it works. I still ride my new bike like I have to stop like a KLR! LOTS of room in front of me!
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
This was accomplished by removing the calipers from the forks to run the hoses horizontally, while tapping on the calipers to help release all air bubbles.
like your simple solution .... onto my TODO list for this weekend it goes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode