Exhaust systems.... - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Exhaust systems....

OK, I'm thinking I'd like a little bit more sound from the bike. At first I wanted to leave it stock, but when she's ripping I'm smiling. I want more smiles. I had a carbon M4 can on my old FZ1, and it was perfect imho. Why? It wasn't too loud just futzing about town, it didn't attract unwanted attention from the popo. It sounded deep. When you got the RPMs up it sounded SWEET! It was the kind of exhaust that wouldn't bother your neighbors or earn speeding tickets.

I'm looking through Youtube vids people post of their Versys and 650rs with fancy (mostly too damn loud) cans, and I can't understand why most people post vid of the bike sitting there idling, and revving. I wanna here your Versys with custom exhausts....on the road! The bike sounds completely different under load while moving. The only time I sit in my driveway revving the piss out of my Versys is.....NEVER!

I'm going to shoot M4 an email and see if they have any plans on building systems for the V any time soon. I was really happy with the quality, appearance and sound this pipe delivered on my old bike.

My riding buddy has a full Two Brothers system on his bike (900RR), and it sounds fantastic, but I don't wanna be "that guy" (it's LOUD, you can see the cops looking around when we ride by).

Edit, just called M4, no plans on building cans for the V or the 650r.

Luke

Last edited by Lukejt; 07-30-2008 at 10:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 02:00 PM

I have yet to be able to get any good video of mine in motion. Every time I try to get a video or sound clip while I'm riding the bike, I hear way too much wind noise and it's hard to get a good idea what the exhaust sounds like. I can tell you this though, mine sounds better in motion than in the parked vid I put up on youtube. I has a nice deep growl in the lower RPMS and really wails in the mid to upper range, and it's not too loud at any RPM. One guy that bought and installed one of my kits had this to say about it. Hopefully he doesn't mind me quoting him.

Quote:
"...the sound on hard acceleration is beautiful, more like a Triumph triple or BMW K-bike than a Kawasaki...

I can't describe it much better than that. Hopefully I can get a good vid of it soon. Maybe I can get my wife to film as I make a few fly-by's so there's no wind noise.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-02-2008, 09:22 AM

I found this....the link won't set up right. Youtube...kawasaki versys exhaust. Got it now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eph-cDMxR9A

I can't help I am not on of the Sheeple.

Last edited by motorbum; 06-12-2009 at 12:30 AM.

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 08:49 AM

Anyone heard or seen the Ixil dual pipe set up for the Versys? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-IlHlGEDhY

Pretty cool looking and I like the sound with the baffles in. I can't find anyone selling them though.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 04:40 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
You'd have to order it from UK for 343 ($670 US) plus shipping:
http://www.ixilsilencers.co.uk/kawasaki.htm#VERSYS

Arrow (Italy) has a nice slip-on or full exhaust system for $235.95/$565.95 (IN USA) -Same application for mentioned Ninja 650R, displayed ER-6 and listed Versys.

High quality, and it sounds pretty smooth even without the included baffle: http://www.ipulse.co.uk/images/Arrow.wmv

Last edited by invader; 08-07-2008 at 04:55 AM.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 07:17 AM

I still want the Ixil dual silencer. I think it sounds the best. For a while it was unavailable, but now is brought back. Although with the exchange rate it is obscenely expensive(over $700 with shipping). Maybe someday.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-IlHlGEDhY
here is the link to the retail site.
http://www.ixilsilencers.co.uk/kawasaki.htm

Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.

Last edited by StonedGP; 08-07-2008 at 07:19 AM.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 07:22 AM

I agree, the dual Ixil cans sound really nice. But WOW, the price is outrageous.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 08:56 AM

Wow, more than 10% of the cost of the WHOLE motorcycle!

Don
"ride more, worry less"
2005 Suzuki GSXR1000 (slightly bent) - Track
2000 Honda VFR800 - Street
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

That's crazy money. Even the Two Bros simple aluminum can is priced too high. People are nuts. When I picked up a carbon can for my old bike, it was about half what they go for today, and that was just a few years ago.

I noticed a stainless steel Magnaflow muffler for sale that matches the size and description of 08 Versys's Cherry Bomb. '08 V has ordered one and is going to see how it looks/fits/sounds. I'm waiting for his results, before I go and spend $600 for a hollow aluminum can.

Luke
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukejt View Post
...I noticed a stainless steel Magnaflow muffler for sale that matches the size and description of 08 Versys's Cherry Bomb. '08 V has ordered one and is going to see how it looks/fits/sounds. I'm waiting for his results, before I go and spend $600 for a hollow aluminum can.

Luke
Actually I'm glad you reminded me about the stainless muffler, I need to call and get an RMA to return it. It looks like a bag of dicks. Seriously though, I opened the box and immediately knew it was going back.
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

LOL, thanks for the update....
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 01:17 PM

High Pipe ideas

I am thinking of trying to run a high pipe on my Versys - I am attempting to make the bike as much of an "adventure tourer" as possible. I'd like to be able to do deeper water crossings that I can right now. Any thoughts /ideas?
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 04:44 PM

Personaly I,m very happy with my 08versys muffler, it's a tad louder than I would like but not bad. It looks good installed and has a good sound to it. For the money it's the deal. bete.
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 06:44 PM

Trapped????

Ummmmm, here is a different and kinda strange alternative that I have not heard anyone trying. On the Dennis Kirk website, they have a Supertrapp muffler, 2 inch inlet, 4 inch diameter, about the same length as stock. They also have ( I found with a little digging, as it is not listed but avaliable) the same pipe with 3.25 inch diameter, with the internal discs. I had a 250 single with this set up, but it went when I sold the bike. Loved it. My Dad has a '04 V-Max 1200 with a set of 'Trapps on the bike and it sounds like a pissed off Hemi V-8 coming at you, gorgeous. It's also very cheap compared to other pipes, only $179. Could probably be easily set up to work on the Versys. Very temped to try it, and be origional.
Any thoughts?
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TmbrWlkr View Post
I am thinking of trying to run a high pipe on my Versys - I am attempting to make the bike as much of an "adventure tourer" as possible. I'd like to be able to do deeper water crossings that I can right now. Any thoughts /ideas?
I was just looking at that while I was sweeping up the metal filings from my botched crashbar install. I was looking to see if you could go through the hole in the swingarm but you would have to move the battery and probably do a little heat shielding - might be a wicked project if you have a pipe bending setup and a welder.

On the other hand, you could go outside the swingarm on the right side behind the rearset, but you can definitely forget about having a passenger if you go that route and you'll need to consider all the braking goodies there. You'll still have an excuse for a pipe bending setup and a welder though.

The only other option would be to change to a single-sided swingarm and run a pipe in the new space - would probably cost as much as the bike did to actually get that done.

I'm waiting for a two bros part that wasn't in the box with the pipe and was also thinking about just running a slash-cut bend at the end of the stock header. That would make the neighbors happy
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

I've got an idea for deeper water crossings. USE THE THROTTLE! Seriously, you're not going to stall the bike until you swamp the electronics or intake. The exhaust is under constant pressure, you should be OK with the outlet under water, just keep up your revs (but stay under control).
post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 12:12 PM

Don't need no stinking passengers

Quote:
Originally Posted by heehaw View Post
I

On the other hand, you could go outside the swingarm on the right side behind the rearset, but you can definitely forget about having a passenger if you go that route and you'll need to consider all the braking goodies there. You'll still have an excuse for a pipe bending setup and a welder though.
My wife rides her own - Super Sherpa - and I'm not supposed to pick up cute little things to perch on the back - so I was thinking of going in that direction.. The added bonus of "having" to buy a welder and bender hadn't occurred to me........thanks

If I do it I will post pics.
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 11:27 PM

I called and spoke to a rep at http://www.exoticsportbike.com/650r.htm about a month ago. They stock the dual pipe even it's not listed on the web page. You have to ask for the dual pipes. She quoted me around $560, not sure exactly.
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 11:28 PM

In regards to IXIL exhause, --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I called and spoke to a rep at http://www.exoticsportbike.com/650r.htm about a month ago. They stock the dual pipe even it's not listed on the web page. You have to ask for the dual pipes. She quoted me around $560, not sure exactly.
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-10-2008, 04:10 AM

Exhaust opinion

I got a full Leo Vince Ti system which i reckon sounds pretty sewing machine but ok i guess.. with baffle left in also.
This bike will never sound too much different between systems because its the same motor making the noise?! Yeah?
get a good brand exhaust, power commander- plus custom map tune up and a good air filter for the best bang for your buck. braided lines to enhance the high speed stoppers do well too..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode