Shin Damage from foot pegs - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 07:20 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to archer183
Shin Damage from foot pegs

So I just picked up my versys from the dealer today. So far, I am really enjoying it (other than the buzz, but I can fix that). The one thing that really kills me is the foot pegs. Whenever I put the kickstand down I nail my shin on the pegs unless I put the stand halfway down, move my foot to the other side of the peg and finish it. Does anyone know of any pegs out there that have something other than a metal spike on the bottom... perhaps rubber or something that won't kill my shin?

thanks
Greg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 07:45 PM

That footpeg feeler is replaceable, so just take it off, But beware, you'll have no early warning of slippage other than the seat-of-the pants accelerometer.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 09:19 PM

I kind of catch the kickstand 'foot' with the heel of my boot and my leg sails past the peg with a few inches to spare. I don't know if a different technique would help you, or maybe it's a leg length issue (I'm 36" inseam). Something else that comes to mind is wondering if a guy could put a piece of stiff rubber hose over the 'peg' on the kickstand to extend it a little...it might be easier to kick down.

Either way, once the stand is down, I put the weight of the V mostly on it, then push backward with my legs to make sure it's fully set. This kickstand doesn't seem to have a lot of 'over center' angle to it and I've already read of a few people dumping their bikes because it wasn't fully out.

Corey

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 06:48 PM

Not trying to be funny but... ???

"When It Rains, Get Wet"
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via MSN to archer183
I was using my toe just like on my other bikes to put the kickstand down. nailed my shin every time. the heel thing works nicely, however I will probably still look around for a different kickstand... something that doesn't sink into the pavement so much.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer183 View Post
I was using my toe just like on my other bikes to put the kickstand down. nailed my shin every time. the heel thing works nicely, however I will probably still look around for a different kickstand... something that doesn't sink into the pavement so much.
Try a Speedy's flatfoot. Here is mine.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 09:17 PM

Dude I too am trying not to be funny also but I do gotta say "huh"? I have no idea how you can put that stand down with your toe let alone hit your shin on the foot peg. Every bike I've had, which this would only be #5, I have always used my heel and with that have also always moved out and away from the bike. Tell me if I am missing something but this is one kick ass bike and I caould tolerate the shin scuff on my boot all day....... I realy am not trying to be a ball buster but the it just struck me funny!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 11:12 PM

I feel ya man... this is something I noticed happening to me when I first got the bike as well. Going from a honda street bike that sat really low, to this tall bike was a change. However, I don't know how I resolved this issue, and didn't give it any thought until you brought it back up. All I really know is that it doesn't happen now. Later I will sit on the bike and figure out what I did to remedy that...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 06:06 AM

I have a Fatfoot by Ernie. Made in the USA product. Very high quality, $40 includes shipping. Here's a link to thread. http://forums.kawasakiversys.com/sho...hlight=fatfoot
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 06:19 PM

I guess this really is a pretty serious issue thesmithiz

"When It Rains, Get Wet"
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 07:50 PM

I banged my shins after stopping the first couple of days, I had to re-adjust how I put my feet out at stops. I did not have problems with the pegs when using the kickstand. This bike has a little different geometry so you have to adjust you style abit it seems like.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode