better brakes - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
better brakes

I know there are front brake cylinder aftermarket upgrades available but does anybody know if there is a better quality caliper that will fit the V instead of these sliding types we have? Either oem off another bike or aftermarket?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 08:49 PM

I too thought the brakes sucked. I installed a Beringer brake cylinder, levers, braded steel lines and new pads. The difference is amazing! I can stop on a dime. I really think it was actually worth the almost $1200 it cost. If I had to choose between this setup or one with the identical OEM components with ABS I would choose this setup. The brakes now have great feel, great grip, and 2 finger pulls. An ABS Versys with the same brakes could save your ass (maybe) in some situations but the rest of the time they would still feel like dragging your feet. I doubt replacing the calipers is the way to go but there may be cheaper alternatives than my Beringer setup, but you can’t beat it for bling though.
post #3 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

Peg, did you address the excessive front end dive to go with the better brakes?

post #4 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 09:19 PM

I have the speedy lowering kit on and raised the front fork tubes. Now there isn't enough dive to worry about...less than many of the bikes I have owned. Any long travel suspension bike will have more dive than a short travel sport bike, remember the name of the bike is Versys.
post #5 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 09:36 PM

I replaced the lines with Goodridge SS lines and Ferodo pads. Amazing difference. Keep in mind if you wanted race caliper brakes...you should have bought a different bike. Try the lines and new pads b4 you spend $1200.00 for gods sake. However the bling factor may make it worth it. Pics?

Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.
post #6 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 09:47 PM

With all the gravel on my county roads right now, I am kind of glad the brakes are "forgiving". I nearly lost it in a curve tonight, and I may have had a finger on the front brake, not sure. I didn't see anything in the road, just cornering at a nice pace but not pushing hard when the front wheel let go. It did a violent wobble then thankfully got a bite and I was able to correct the bike without crashing. Scared the Alpinestars(pants) off me!

Point is, without ABS, its easy to lock that front wheel with racetrack quality brakes. I think the average rider is better off with less aggressive braking. IMHO.

My Album:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Element; 06-14-2010 at 10:05 AM.
post #7 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

I installed Galfer dual SS lines and Galfer Green pads as opposed to HH.( Not all HH are the same I know). Brake feel is much improved and stopping power is more linear and at least as strong despite the softer pads. I miss my sport bikes for their braking prowess. I see no reason to not have excellent brakes on a non-sportbike bike. (Does that makes sense?).
post #8 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 11:17 PM

When in doubt gas it!
post #9 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-12-2010, 09:08 AM

My take..

Galfer full floating wave rotors (only because the OEM stock rotors were warped, out of warranty of course,) Galfer braided SS lines (front & rear,) EBC HH sintered pads (front & rear,) and Castrol GT-LMA synthetic brake fluid make for a really nice brake system upgrade on this bike. I also have Pazzo short levers, but these are really just a personal preference (but still help ME for my needs.)

If I could find some 4 pot axial mount mono block calipers from another production bike that would fit, or if Speedy, Motorcycle Larry, or anyone else would make adapter plates to retrofit other 4 piston calipers to our bike I'd do that too (in a heartbeat.)

But for now I'm happy. Much better than it was from the factory.
post #10 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-12-2010, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

I'll take a faster 60-0 time than a 0-60 time any day of the week.
post #11 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-12-2010, 10:53 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by blipco View Post
I'll take a faster 60-0 time than a 0-60 time any day of the week.
Me too, but I like'm both.

Wanted to make mention before I forgot, I've got Pirelli Scorpion Sync tires too. Tires make a big difference in braking as well. Had them on the bike for ~ 3k miles now... they still have loads of tread, and are wearing just as they should. These tires are great IMHO for street use. Grip is incredible, as I find myself really leaning in corners with complete confidence. Love them!

Last edited by MackDaddy; 06-18-2010 at 03:22 PM.
post #12 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-12-2010, 11:32 AM

I have been thinking that a first gen Z1000 calipers would mount up. I compared the bikes side by side and they looked SOOOOOOOO close, I search ebay every once in a while for a dirt cheap caliper to come along that I would use for a test, but it has to be cheap enough to be throw away, like $25 shipped. If they mount up that would be a nice 4 pot upgrade to go along with my Galfer lines.
post #13 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-12-2010, 11:49 AM

x2 Marcus. I noticed that as well long ago, and periodically look on FleaBay for a steal. I'll certainly post up if I get one to try, please do so if you beat me to it! Really don't need mono-blocks as I first stated, although that wouldn't hurt either. Just a nice 4 piston non-floating caliper will do. Would be great if the line interfaces would match up with the OE Tokico two pots, but that's asking for a sealed deal Christmas I guess.

Edit: I may try an older Yamaha R1 / R6 caliper as well if we can get someone to make a fitment plate. I upgraded my 00 RoadStar with those years ago, bolted right up. Nice..

Last edited by MackDaddy; 06-12-2010 at 11:55 AM.
post #14 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-12-2010, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

Good job marc, Mack, now we're getting somewhere!
post #15 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-12-2010, 02:35 PM
naz

sumimoto? great quality...legend says familiar quality with brembo... more closer to nissin i believe
post #16 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 07:59 AM

IMHO, before changing the whole brake setup, try getting a ride on someone who got their V with braided lines and grabby pads.
Might save some dollars....

My V Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride safe,

post #17 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 09:33 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Upgraded the back hose to SUS braided and changed the Oring on the back caliper Assbly and good enough for me.

Slow down before braking and the OEM brakes should work fine. Have locked both the wheel's with OEM and wish I had ABS but that's a different story.

Last edited by Fastoman; 06-14-2010 at 09:50 AM.
post #18 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlee29 View Post
IMHO, before changing the whole brake setup, try getting a ride on someone who got their V with braided lines and grabby pads.
Might save some dollars....

Been there done that and while it is an improvement, there is still a ton of room to improve the front. While the brakes are "good enough" after riding for years on bikes with exceptional brakes, then jumping on the Versys you really can tell how weak they are.
post #19 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc11 View Post
Been there done that and while it is an improvement, there is still a ton of room to improve the front. While the brakes are "good enough" after riding for years on bikes with exceptional brakes, then jumping on the Versys you really can tell how weak they are.
That's my point. I recently owned a sportbike whose 60-0 stop distance was 109 feet. A true one finger machine. My ZRX and ZZR were 117 feet (490 and 520 pounds dry weight). The Versys... nearly 128 feet! I'm not real comfortable with that.
post #20 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 06:31 PM

Hey I had a ZRX and ZZR. Miss the ZRX a lot. Great bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode