Which header to install with stock muffler? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

Which header to install with stock muffler?

The only thing I'm not keen on about the Versys 650 engine is that it just gives up past 8500 rpm with 2000 rpm left on the tach. I like winding out my bikes when the mood strikes so it would be great to get more top end out of it.

After searching all the performance mods it appears changing to an aftermarket header like arrow pipes would open up the upper rev range of the Versys 650 and that it fits with the stock muffler.

I'd like to find the best quality header for the bike even if it makes a bit less power than the arrow pipes. I don't want the pipes falling apart 10k miles after install. Ideally, I'd like to just bolt on the new pipes without needing dyno tuning or ECU changes.

Is the arrow header a quality part? Will it achieve my goal?
Or is there a better header out there?

Thanks!

2014 Lime Green
Michelin Pilot Road 4s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 08:12 PM

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 08:36 PM

Even then, the Versys engine is just not meant to breathe up high. You'll make more power swapping in a Ninja 650 engine and ECU than with a full system + power commander, and the fist option is probably cheaper too.

BTW, I'm assuming, from your signature, that you have a 2014. The 2015 has the same engine as the Ninja 650.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 08:45 PM

With my Muzzy header and custom Magnaflow silencer with Yoshimura outlet, my 2007 pulls strong up to the 10,700 rpm rev limiter... That's without any aftermarket fuel management system.

You'd do better with just a good silencer, than with a performance header and stock muffler/catalytic converter.

Last edited by invader; 09-07-2015 at 08:47 PM.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

I am grateful for the replies invader and Susser Tod. You are correct. My bike is a California smog equipped 2014 Versys 650.

It looks like I need to think about this a bit more. One consequence that concerns me is that my wife would be unhappy riding with me if the Versys was much louder. We ride together most weekends which is more important to me than increasing performance. I also like to ride for 3 or 4 hours at a time and remember being unappy with supertrapp "silencer" on a Yamaha XT600 I owned many years ago. I'd get headaches after >2 hours listening to that raspy nasty sound.

Invader, how loud is your mangaflow setup? I had a mustang with mangaflow exhaust and it wasn't what you'd call quiet. I had to upgrade the stereo to hear anything but the engine when driving. No hands free phone option worked over that level of noise.

Thanks again!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 11:34 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
rip that smog **** out

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-08-2015, 12:13 AM

When I got my Muzzy full exhaust system with megaphone silencer, it was ridiculously loud and brash, even with a custom baffle which helped a lot... The Muzzy header's collector diameter is much larger than stock. I used a 2" in/out, 14" long Magnaflow with 2.5" core. It sounds great, and is not too loud at all. I'll try to get some audio clip.

By the way, make sure your air filter is clean and not over-oiled.

https://www.magnaflow.com/products?partNumber=10414

Pre-welded Magnaflow with the outlet cut down to the 2.5" core, and Yoshimura 1-5/16" quiet insert:

Last edited by invader; 09-08-2015 at 04:40 AM.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-08-2015, 12:31 AM

Does anybody still have my exhaust port outlets' before and after pics?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-08-2015, 12:56 PM

Nice looking bike Invader!

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-08-2015, 04:14 PM
Super Moderator

IF you want your V to 'work' better at higher RPM, try a Ninja 650 header - they do NOT have the 'balance' pipe between the sides (which is there to lower the range where the torque is), so that should 'move' your power higher in the revs.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-09-2015, 08:38 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
I think it's the first time I see pic of your bike !

LOP
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-09-2015, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

I have thought it over and it sure seems easier to be happy with the bike as is -> at least until the warranty expires. I do see that changing the upper end performance is not a simple bolt one part on and you're done proposition. The bike is about 3 months old and I admit that taking it apart is the last thing on my mind right now. Riding it is pretty much all I think about.

I do like the mangaflow setup invader has shown us in previous posts. From a web search, it seems that the Muzzys header isn't available for Versys on their web site anymore. Also strange is how all the headers I have found for the Versys 650 list '08 to '13 or just the '15 model year for compatibility. It would appear my '14 Versys 650 is unlike all other years in some way that I can't identify. I remember reading that the '14 had a bump up in power along with the ABS but now I can't find any evidence of the engine or exhaust being unique to 2014 anywhere.

There's been a lot of great info posted on this thread and I will keep it in mind should I ever feel bored with my bike and in the mood to wrench on it.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-09-2015, 07:05 PM

This video might give you a rough idea of how it looks and sounds like now...

https://vid.me/XiG9

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-09-2015, 07:59 PM

Invader - your bike sounds really good!

2008 Ninja 250
2009 KLR 650
2015 Versys 1000 LT

Bob
Menasha, WI
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 01:49 PM

Putting a 1st gen Ninja 650 intake cam in your head would help too, along with moving the Versys intake over to the exhaust side. Then replace your stock head gasket with a Cometic for more compression. The cams will allow for some more breathing to complement the extra exhaust flow. Then you'll have the top end the original Ninja 650 had.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode