PC V Auto Tune - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

PC V Auto Tune

Hey Guys! I'm looking into getting an auto tune for my V. I already have a PCV and a an exhaust that does not have a stock map for. Some of the other maps work ok but I'm not 100% happy. I'm wondering how you guys feel about the ones you have installed? Have you noticed better fueling? And I figure while I'm at it I might as well get the one with 2 sensors instead of 2.

Any advice of insight would be super cool.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 05:30 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
You only needy the auto tune 200 with one sensor.

Auto tune 300 with 2 sensors is for v-twins where the rear cylinder is running hotter and need different fuelling to the front.
onewizard and gnarshread like this.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 09:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigitt View Post
You only needy the auto tune 200 with one sensor.

Auto tune 300 with 2 sensors is for v-twins where the rear cylinder is running hotter and need different fuelling to the front.
Ok cool. I have more knowledge with this stuff on cars. Most of the car guys I hang out with run a sensor on each header and tune each cylinder individually. Honestly the auto tuner interests me because its cheaper than an afternoon on a dyno and i hope will adjust for different conditions like altitude.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 04:00 AM

I have a new Autotune for sale.. My original 1 malfunctioned so I got another? Only my O2 sensor was bad and never used the new unit/ just ordered another sensor. So I have a complete new set in the box if your interested?$

Lean/Two
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Cothron View Post
I have a new Autotune for sale.. My original 1 malfunctioned so I got another? Only my O2 sensor was bad and never used the new unit/ just ordered another sensor. So I have a complete new set in the box if your interested?$
Sure! What figure did you have in mind? If your interested I have some bark busters I'm not using. Maybe partial trade?
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 11:18 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnarshread View Post
Sure! What figure did you have in mind? If your interested I have some bark busters I'm not using. Maybe partial trade?
If he is not interested in trading for the bark busters would you be interested in selling them?

14 Kawasaki Versys 650 ABS (kawi green)
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-26-2017, 08:55 AM

Can anyone tell me if the wide-band O2 senser that comes with the Auto Tune will screw into the stock bung that's holding the stock O2 sensor? No welding necessary for my bike???

Edit: This is regarding a USA 2015 650.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-26-2017, 09:25 AM

Garage
subscribed - I'm interested in knowing if the auto tuner will help improve the snatch throttle. My set up is all stock.

Just because I am Deaf does not mean I can not roar.

Long distance two stroke scooter rider moving onto even longer touring.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-26-2017, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaringTodd View Post
subscribed - I'm interested in knowing if the auto tuner will help improve the snatch throttle. My set up is all stock.
This is precisely why I bought the Power Commander V, which I've yet to install on my stock bike. Power Commander only has one map posted on their site for the '15 650, and it's for stock intake w/ stock exhaust. However, the Auto Tune has me intrigued. I like the idea of setting my own air/fuel ratios so I can smooth out throttle while keeping decent fuel range. I'll probably get it if I don't have to drop and weld the exhaust. Even though that's not a huge deal, the mild hassle isn't worth it to me.

EDIT: Looks like the stock hole takes a 12mm bolt and the Auto Tune sensor needs a 18mm hole.

Last edited by brock29609; 10-26-2017 at 12:59 PM.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-26-2017, 03:10 PM

They don't let you mess with the low RPM range, under 3k or 4k, iirc. That is where I'd like to run richer for smoother operation. Since the Gen 3 has an O2 sensor it has feedback which should provide good performance in general. If you're looking to overall change the mixture just a bit, you can adjust the throttle position sensor. This tells the computer the throttle is either a bit more or a bit less open than it really is, which will overall slightly enrichen or lean the mixture. It won't adjust only one part of the rpm range, though, by messing with the TPS.

Basically, I am not convinced there is much to be gained with remapping on Gen 3 with stock exhaust. Unless you're seriously racing or you're seriously trying to milk every last bit of fuel economy out of it.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-26-2017, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly-Sig View Post
They don't let you mess with the low RPM range, under 3k or 4k, iirc.
The base map that Power Commander provides adds fuel starting at 1,250 RPM at 2% throttle, and you can manipulate the fueling at any rev level or throttle opening you like. You can let the Auto Tune do it's thing anywhere in the rev range too.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-26-2017, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brock29609 View Post
The base map that Power Commander provides adds fuel starting at 1,250 RPM at 2% throttle, and you can manipulate the fueling at any rev level or throttle opening you like. You can let the Auto Tune do it's thing anywhere in the rev range too.
Interesting. I looked into a product, which I think was Power Commander, and it specifically had blanked out the map below about 3k rpm with a note that it was due to federal emissions regulations and it was illegal to mess with it. That was about a year ago. Dunno.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-26-2017, 09:48 PM

See the sample picture below. It helps illustrate the "tunability" (DISCLAIMER: not posted as a recommended map to use; for illustration purposes only).

The ability to tune across the broad range (rpm vs. throttle position) can really help improve smooth throttle and needed mapping changes. If you're lucky the Dynojet map will be close-- for your application and elevation. The stock Dynojet PCV map did a decent job of improving smoothness and mapping for my stock '11 V, but felt flat (or lean) in a couple of areas (via seat of pants dyno) for my 2011 Versys. After looking at the map chart (for 2006-20011 Versys/ER6N/EX650), the areas I sensed as flat were in fact the areas they leaned the most. So, I'm making incremental/linear adjustments to find a sweet spot. I'm not using autotune, but can see where it could help it be easier to fine tune a map to your bike.

Since you're inquiring about the 2015+ model, the following info won't apply. I did a lot of reading prior to buying my PCV. I think there is room for improvement in the maps DJ offers, for Versys stock condition. Observation: DJ offers a PCV for 2006-2011 Versys/ER6N/EX650 and another PCV for the 2012-2014 bikes. The issue is see with this is three-fold. One, the Versys prior to 2010 utilized similar ECUs and mapping. Two, the Versys from 2010-2014 utilized identical ECUs and mapping (same OEM part #), as with the same throttle bodies, wiring harness (2011-2014, excluding ABS models), coils. Three, I'm very confident that none of the Versys ECUs are direct interchanges with either the EX650 or ER6N. This begs 2 solid questions to seek understanding. (1) Why would the same PCV maps be offered for the Versys, ER6N and EX650, when their original mapping/tuning (i.e.- cams) is different? (2) When the 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, and 2014 are functionally the same, why would DJ split them into 2 different products (i.e. 2006-2011 and 2012-2014)? Remember, for the 2010-2014 Versys their ECUs, wiring harness connections, throttle bodies, and coils (main elements to operate) are identical, as based on part numbers. And, the PCV maps are different for each of these DJ products (i.e. 2006-2011 and 2012-2014).

That said, if every year model Versys was dyno-tested, I don't see why they would recommend a different map for a 2010 & 2011 vs. 2012-2014. They are functionally the same...more so than a 2009 vs 2010. Food for thought.

NOTE: This isn't a slight towards Dynojet; I appreciate them offering products for our bikes. Though in making a product available in mass production, to varying markets/customers with similar (but not exact) needs, it would only seem logical that that they would minimize production costs and overlap products where applications allow-- as seems to be the case with EX650/Versys/ER6N PCV. I would just like to see specific maps offered for each applicable year model. I think I'd be even more pleased with this product-- Day 1 of installation, and throughout the use/ownership of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly-Sig View Post
Interesting. I looked into a product, which I think was Power Commander, and it specifically had blanked out the map below about 3k rpm with a note that it was due to federal emissions regulations and it was illegal to mess with it. That was about a year ago. Dunno.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sample PCV file.jpg (70.7 KB, 53 views)

Last edited by bwwoodard; 10-28-2017 at 09:41 PM.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-27-2017, 06:59 AM
Super Moderator

Interesting Read

So far, some interesting posts on the MK-3.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-28-2017, 09:15 PM

Just finished installing the Power Commander V on my '15 650. I won't be able to ride it for a couple weeks, but here are my comments on the install...

The packaging, instructions and web-posted fuel map are all labeled specific for the 2015. However, the installation illustrations were for a different bike. I'm guessing they were of an older Versys.

The spot where they said to store the unit (by the battery) doesn't exist on my 2015. This means depending on where you decide to park the unit, the ground lug might not reach the recommended grounding spot.

I made it all work as you can see below. Had to reposition some fuses, remove a bracket, etc. All the connectors snapped into place well with no confusion from this part of the install instructions.

The stock O2 sensor comes out. You'll need to find a 12mm bung plug as it's not included. I have one on order.

Since the provided map was made specifically for my model year, I'm optimistic it'll work well. However, I'm sure I'll add the Auto Tune unit at some point (if I can create another empty space to park it under the seat).

Last edited by brock29609; 10-28-2017 at 09:22 PM.
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-30-2017, 06:36 PM

I have a 2012 that I had a PCV installed on...I was glad I didn't try it myself as the unit came wired wrong and it took my mechanic several calls to Dynojet (with NO help) before he found the fix online (just had to move the power wire to the correct slot)...after that I had him create a custom map for me 1) because at the time there were no maps for the Versys..2) because he's an ex-race tuner for team Honda...I haven't had any troubles with it...AutoTune? didn't need it...I would suggest looking around your area for someone who can dyno your bike and tune it...here in the GNW the MAN is Nels at 2WheelDyno Works...his price ends up being close to the cost of the AutoTuner..but the end result is much better...
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-30-2017, 08:02 PM

On my last bike, a 2006 Kawasaki 1600 Classic, after researching Power Commanders, I came across Dobeck Fuel Controllers which were recommended by numerous people on the Vulcan Forum. They are less money, about $250. It was an easy install and I just went with the basic recommended settings for the bike and was thrilled with the results and never did get it Dyno tuned. I was shocked at the difference across the board, far more responsive, no on/off, no flat spots, no back firing, no pinging on regular gas. It felt like a 1600 should. Several other guys that had the same bike as mine, rode it and agreed that it made the bike come alive, didn't feel like the same bike.

They now offer a SAFR Diagnostic Tool as a rental, so you can tune the bike yourself without taking it to a tuner.

Here the page for Gen 3's- Kawasaki Versys 650 - Dobeck Performance Products: EFI Controllers, AFR Gauge
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-31-2017, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo_Bob View Post
...I came across Dobeck Fuel Controllers
Someone was selling one of these used on the Versys Facebook group. I didn't buy it because they list one controller model for years '12-'15 and a different model for the '16. It didn't make sense to me that my 2015 Gen3 bike would use the same unit as a 2012, but not the same unit as the 2016.

I called them about it and they insist this is correct, but I'm skeptical.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 08:03 PM

I realise this thread is a little stale, but anyways my .02.

to my knowledge, dynojet does not have any power commanders for any 02 controlled japanese bikes. also, I don't think a power commander is a good way to rectify low rpm fueling issues, because there is more than one fuel map, and the low throttle operation really is not controlled by the TPS. Steve
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in Sunny Fl View Post
to my knowledge, dynojet does not have any power commanders for any 02 controlled japanese bikes.
Huh? They make one specifically for my 2015+ Versys 650. It comes with an electrical plug for the O2 plug sensor connector (you have to buy your own plug to close the hole on the exhaust).

Read my results at the bottom of *THIS THREAD*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode