new tire recommendations - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 82 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 11:34 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
new tire recommendations

I've currently got Continental Conti-Motions on my bike. They were $150 US for the set which seemed really cheap. Decent, predictable, performance in the dry when it is warm. They've given me a few holy s**t moments though when they've let go and slid laterally a few inches in a turn, before recovering, when it's wet or cold. Think I may have hit road grit, a wet tar snake, or shallow puddle when turning. Something I have never experienced other than with narrow bias ply tires on another bike. They have also worn quickly and I will probably replace this coming winter.

The two tire models I am interested in are the Michelin PR4's and Pirelli Angel GT's. I've read great things about both tires in the press and had good experience with the Michelin PR3's. Hoping to get some actual user feedback on the Pirelli Angel GTs, which seems scarce, and the Michelin PR4's. Also potentially interested in the Mezler Tourance Next too which comes in 120/70-17 & 160/60-17 sizes although I do not do that much off pavement work.

Last edited by twowheels; 09-01-2015 at 11:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 82 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 03:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
The two tire models I am interested in are the Michelin PR4's and Pirelli Angel GT's. I've read great things about both tires in the press and had good experience with the Michelin PR3's. Hoping to get some actual user feedback on the Pirelli Angel GTs, which seems scarce, and the Michelin PR4's.
I have had both on the Versys along with the PR2's. The Michelin's I'm very happy with, fantastic grip, good life and very predictable. The Angel's were good, almost as good as the Michelin's however I was just not quite as comfortable on them and they were louder than the Michelin's on certain surfaces. Not enough to remove them or anything just not quite as good.
Get whichever is cheaper or if they are the same price go the Michies.
twowheels and AdventureSeeker like this.
post #3 of 82 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 09:01 AM

I don't know about twowheels, but that's the type of feedback I look for. Noisy tires: I don't like 'em, and most people probably don't notice or care. I'll always choose a quiet tire over a loud one.

I wonder what PR4s are like. I had Michelin Pilot Powrs on my Versys a few years ago and the rear felt squirmy, so I went back to Bridgestones. I'm having Bridgestone T30s installed today.

On my bicycles, I'm all about Conti and Michelin. I have this weird habit of pairing tires and vehicles from the same continent. European tires on my European bicycle, Japanese tires on my Japanese bike and motorcycle. And Bontrager tires on my American bicycle, wherever those are made.

2009 Versys
2004 EX-500

post #4 of 82 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 09:45 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
im running pr 1's and loven them so far, but im also about 2k into them and they were on the bike new when i got it..

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #5 of 82 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 10:19 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I've been pleased with the grip and wear of Bridgestone's BT-023. I am, however, not a knee draggers any longer but a somewhat sedate "mature" rider. I've decided to slow down a little and smell the diesel fumes.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #6 of 82 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 10:28 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden View Post
I don't know about twowheels, but that's the type of feedback I look for. Noisy tires: I don't like 'em, and most people probably don't notice or care. I'll always choose a quiet tire over a loud one.

I wonder what PR4s are like. I had Michelin Pilot Powrs on my Versys a few years ago and the rear felt squirmy, so I went back to Bridgestones. I'm having Bridgestone T30s installed today.

On my bicycles, I'm all about Conti and Michelin. I have this weird habit of pairing tires and vehicles from the same continent. European tires on my European bicycle, Japanese tires on my Japanese bike and motorcycle. And Bontrager tires on my American bicycle, wherever those are made.
I just changed a set of those Pilot Power tires and they were not quite flat with the wear bars.

What I discovered is that the tread area was already extremely thin. Was very surprised about that.

No matter where you go - there you are.
post #7 of 82 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 07:04 PM

I've installed a pair of Shinko Raven 009 on my 2011 V and am very pleased so far.
BEACHBUM likes this.
post #8 of 82 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 09:25 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
For anyone who cares - when the GREEN HORNET TOO needs "new shoes", she'll get a set of Shinko E-705s D/S tires. EVEN if you don't think you'll ride any dirt, it's nice having that option when the pavement ends, and they handle paved-corners pretty well too.
bjhessler likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 82 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
I've been pleased with the grip and wear of Bridgestone's BT-023. I am, however, not a knee draggers any longer but a somewhat sedate "mature" rider. I've decided to slow down a little and smell the diesel fumes.
The BT-023 model name was discontinued a few months ago, replaced by the T30. So if you like those BT-023s, the T30 is what to ask for when you replace your current tires.

2009 Versys
2004 EX-500
post #10 of 82 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 02:29 PM

PR3s here and they are just fine for me... I will go PR4s next.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #11 of 82 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 02:52 PM

I can only say good things about PR4. Amazing rubber, grips in all conditions.
post #12 of 82 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 03:04 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Big_Mac_ View Post
how about wear?

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #13 of 82 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 03:19 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
how about wear?

I got right at 10,000 miles on my first set of PR3's for the Versys and had about 7500 on the second set when i sold the V. Put PR4 GT's on the FJR changed them out just shy of 10,000 miles also.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #14 of 82 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 03:20 PM

I've tried a few different tires but the best all round tire I have found is the Angel GT. I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE them. Last month I did a track day with them. Yesterday I rode for 5 hours in West Virginia in sunshine and rain dodging gravel patches and hanging off the bike mid corner. They are excellent tires and once they get up to temp and you get deep into a corner they grip like S#@T on a blanket. My one warning is as soon as they hit the wear bar you will need a new pare immediately.
post #15 of 82 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 11:39 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chatmaurice View Post
I've installed a pair of Shinko Raven 009 on my 2011 V and am very pleased so far.
I have nothing but good things to say about the pair of Ravens that were on my bike for quite some time. Of course, the PR2s on the bike now are "better." I do not know by how much. Given my current way of riding, I will likely go with the PilotRoads in the future. If I was riding a lot more than I am (and therefore changing tires more often), I would likely buy the Shinkos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnarshread View Post
They are excellent tires and once they get up to temp and you get deep into a corner they grip like S#@T on a blanket.

I am not sure about your analogy. I did not think that that substance necessarily stuck to blankets all that well. Tree sap seems to stick to everything so much better...

When it comes to havoc, no one wreaks like me! - Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

I will never be good and that's not bad. - Ban-Anon
post #16 of 82 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 02:39 AM

Quote:
how about wear?
Depends on your riding style but if you're not punishing them on a race track frequently, they should be good for about 8 - 12 000 miles on a V650. Mine are ~6500 and the wear marker shows about 1-1.5 mm left. I did take them to the track, I don't know what's the deal with the asphalt there but it's *brutal* for tyres.

My previous bike had them for 6000 miles and they looked like new when I sold it. That bike was not taken to the track and was ridden more delicately (though no chicken strips there either). It would've made 10k easily.
post #17 of 82 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 04:11 AM

Garage
Quote:
how about wear?
I got around 14,000 km out of the PR2's and the Angels, PR4's are still on the bike and look good after 7000 km. Most of the time I'm pretty easy on tyres although they have had some high speed work and in tight corners .... well lets say there aint much in the way of chicken strips on my tyres.
Regarding the T-30's they were on the 2015 V1K I test rode and was very impressed with the grip, of course no idea how long they will last. Picture below.

Last edited by MaverickAus; 09-04-2015 at 04:18 AM.
post #18 of 82 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 03:50 PM

With My Angel GT's I tend to not worry about how many miles I get out of them. With any tire it really depends on how you use them. I get a year out of a rear and little less than 2 out of a front. After 2 years whatever is on the bike I would want to replace it anyways.

Most of my riding is aggressive road riding or all day rides. A few years ago I would put 19000 miles on a bike a year but that was mostly commuting and highway miles. Now It is much less. maybe half to a quarter of that but I use a lot more of a tire because of twistier roads. And lets be honest, your going to go through tires faster with more weight.

I guess I'm saying is don't compromise and get the tire you think is better fitted to your needs and forget about mileage.
twowheels likes this.
post #19 of 82 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Big_Mac_ View Post
100% agree. The PR4s make the versys more comfortable and more confidence inspiring. I've found even riding with a passenger they are fun in the twisties. That was on the first ride. We did 140 miles of poorly maintained mountain roads with tons of tight turns that would have been terrifying on the stock Dun-slops.

The PR4s are expensive but IMO the difference they make is priceless.
Jim Nazium likes this.

2014 Lime Green
Michelin Pilot Road 4s
post #20 of 82 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 09:13 PM

I had a set of Avon storm 2s on until recently, and I just replaced the rear which was squared off at 7k. The front is almost to the wear bars, so that's next, but so far my TKC70 has been a really nice rear tire. It's smooth on the road, it gives cornering confidence, except for occasional weird floatiness on rougher streets that I still need to sort out. I'm planning more dirt than you are though probably. The storm 2s were good in the wet, though.
bjhessler likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode