New windscreen for my gen III - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
New windscreen for my gen III

At 6'2" the stock windscreen was not working for me so I ordered a PUIG touring screen (5999H) in light smoke. It fit pretty well but I had to put a couple of washers under the adjustment knob so it would not rub against the screen.
First the pics and then a ride report
Attached Images
File Type: jpg old.jpg (31.2 KB, 389 views)
File Type: jpg New.jpg (29.8 KB, 442 views)

Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid -John Wayne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 03:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
How much taller is the new screen compared to the original?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1503 View Post
How much taller is the new screen compared to the original?
Puig sight says it is 5 1/8th inches taller but when I put them side by side it seems taller than that.

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

Garage
SO I just took it out around town and up the highway a few miles and back and BOY what a difference this new screen makes. At the lowest point there was still a little buffeting across the top of my helmet but at the highest setting it was so calm that there was almost no difference in noise with my visor up or down. I wont even need to wear plugs anymore and I actually had to turn down the music in my helmet. I started getting too warm due to lack of air flow. I have since split the difference and have it set right at the middle so we will see where it needs to be after some fine tuning.

A+ on this little gem so far
Jim Nazium likes this.

post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 07:21 PM

Thanks Mydnyte; I am 6'- 1 and raised the seat on my 2015 Versys. I was considering the MRA add on top screen but like the looks of that Puig.
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 07:37 PM

You must have bought the last one. All my sources show out of stock. Did you purchase online or locally?
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyV View Post
You must have bought the last one. All my sources show out of stock. Did you purchase online or locally?
I bought it on Amazon. Still 2 left for the 2015.

post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-28-2015, 06:14 AM

Found it on Amazon. It won't arrive before I leave Monday for a 3 week tour of the Southwest U.S. but will be waiting for me when I return to Canada and really need it this fall. Thanks again.
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-28-2015, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Found it on Amazon. It won't arrive before I leave Monday for a 3 week tour of the Southwest U.S. but will be waiting for me when I return to Canada and really need it this fall. Thanks again.
Glad I could help

post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-28-2015, 06:42 PM

Quote:
I emailed Puig recently about their supply of these touring screens since Revzilla is still out of stock. Their response was that Revzilla would be re-supplied in about three weeks. They recommended motovationusa.com. I just received the Puig screen from them yesterday. I ride a V1000 so I'm not sure if they have them for the 650 but it's worth a try.

Mine's the dark smoke one. I installed it yesterday and it looks great. It's taller than I'll ever need.

2008 Ninja 250
2009 KLR 650
2015 Versys 1000 LT

Bob
Menasha, WI
post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-28-2015, 10:18 PM

Garage
Can't find it on Amazon, could one of you post the link directly? It might be OOS so not showing up.

I've been thinking about something like this, does it lower top speed or increase wind sway any?

I'd love to raise the seat but I always end up dragging my foot across the thing.
post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-28-2015, 10:57 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modake View Post
Can't find it on Amazon, could one of you post the link directly? It might be OOS so not showing up.

I've been thinking about something like this, does it lower top speed or increase wind sway any?

I'd love to raise the seat but I always end up dragging my foot across the thing.

Amazon.com: puig 5999

post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-29-2015, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
...I'd love to raise the seat but I always end up dragging my foot across the thing.
Learn to do the "KLR shuffle". Right leg held out as close to horizontally as you can, then hop on your left foot towards the bike till your foot is over, then sit.

Another way is to get on from the right, using the footpeg while you hold the front and rear brakes ON and lean across to the left grip, then put your left foot onto its 'peg.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-29-2015, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Learn to do the "KLR shuffle". Right leg held out as close to horizontally as you can, then hop on your left foot towards the bike till your foot is over, then sit.

Another way is to get on from the right, using the footpeg while you hold the front and rear brakes ON and lean across to the left grip, then put your left foot onto its 'peg.

I have a buddy that has to use the left side peg to get on his KLR650 like a cowboy mounting a horse, then when his leg is over he steps back down and kind of hangs there by his knee with his toe on the ground (hopefully)
As for myself, as long as I am not wearing 501's I just swing my leg over my KLR or my vs. (when I still had a KLR that is)

post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 01:59 PM
Super Moderator

Here's what the GREEN HORNET (my '09) was 'wearing' when I crashed up N.

I plan to 'mod' it to fit the GREEN HORNET TOO. It's originally a Yamaha Majesty 'shield, APPROPRIATELY 'modded'....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #16 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 11:32 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post

Yeah I feel like a ballerino or a pissing dog with my leg straight out. Getting off of the bike is the problem, different angles and stuff, I drag my heel across the rear seat and sometimes have to jump away a bit. I have a 34" inseam so I don't know what's going on.
post #17 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 11:36 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mydnyte Son View Post
Thanks, I searched for that and other PUIG items but that screen didn't come up, very strange.

I snagged someone's returned screen for $98 that has a 'small 1/4" imperfection.' I guess I'll have to wait two days to see.
post #18 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 12:43 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Yeah I feel like a ballerino or a pissing dog with my leg straight out. Getting off of the bike is the problem, different angles and stuff, I drag my heel across the rear seat and sometimes have to jump away a bit. I have a 34" inseam so I don't know what's going on.
I put my left foot down (V on the side stand, OF COURSE...), then 'hop' away to the left till my foot clears. W/ a 31" inseam, my boot drags across the seat, but this works whether I have camping gear on it, or not....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #19 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 03:31 PM

I got a shield from Ermaxx, which offers way better protection than the stock one. And it looks awesome!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Versys3.jpg (161.9 KB, 196 views)
Jim Nazium likes this.

Last edited by Lambow; 09-01-2015 at 04:31 PM.
post #20 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Thanks, I searched for that and other PUIG items but that screen didn't come up, very strange.

I snagged someone's returned screen for $98 that has a 'small 1/4" imperfection.' I guess I'll have to wait two days to see.
Is the imperfection a scratch nearly dead center about 1/2 inch by 1/4 inch perchance?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode