trouble shifting - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
trouble shifting

Hello all Just bought a 2009 V 2 weeks ago, and was having a blast on it. I say was due to a 0 mph tipover in my driveway while entering my garage door code. The bike suffered very little damage: bent h-bar and shifter, small piece of easily fixable plastic off the L front turn signal. The killer is that I can't shift any gears (after bending the shifter back) but 1st and N. It looks pretty much as it should with the possible exception of the push arm being a little closer to the engine than before. I think the shifter hit it as it was being bent in. Any experience/ideas for this? Great forums btw
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 06:58 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
If you can't repair it properly, replace with new shift lever assembly. Kawasaki # 13236-0136 MSRP: $60.76, $42.78 from http://www.partshark.com/fiche_selec...s&mfg=Kawasaki Tie-rod assembly: 39110-1124 MSRP $12.66, $8.42.
It happened to a couple others as well.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ead.php?t=4087
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 08:03 PM

Try repairing the shifter back.
Get a pipe wrench and hold the shifter. Use a ring spanner to bend it straight/out back as much as possible/needed.

Good Luck.

My V Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ride safe,

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 08:10 PM

Don't think its a problem with the shifter, it might be internal, one of the 'key's may be bent. Assume its got plenty of oil in it?

If you can get a small pair of vice grips on the gear spline, try using those to see if you can get into 2nd, going up from neutral-give 1st a miss. Maybe once you get into 2nd you can move up the gears.

Machog

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpncrunch View Post
I can't shift any gears (after bending the shifter back) but 1st and N.
Have you tried shifting to 2nd with the bike moving or just with it standing still?

I donít know if itís the same on the prior years but the 2010 wonít go past neutral (into 2nd) when the bike is standing still. This is by design to make it easier to hit neutral.

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 01:52 AM

As far as I know this is true of all Versys models (my 2007 does it). It's called the "positive neutral finder" so make sure you are rolling before trying to shift into 2nd.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

got it!

Thanks for the input folks. I ended up just taking it apart and using vice grips to shift into 2nd. After putting it back together it went through the gears just fine. Now I just need to get a new set of bars
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpncrunch View Post
Thanks for the input folks. I ended up just taking it apart and using vice grips to shift into 2nd. After putting it back together it went through the gears just fine. Now I just need to get a new set of bars
Aww címon ó Turn that frown upside down (is that a dumb-ass saying or what!)

Youíre gearbox is working! You got away cheap!

Have a good one & enjoy the ride...

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 05:33 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I still have my unused original bars and bar ends if you need them. Where about are you, cpncrunch?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-04-2010, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

bars

I'm in Denver, and I am happy I got off so cheap. These things aren't as bombproof as dirtbikes, after all. I am considering a set of protapers, but I'll let you know if I decide to keep the controls stock. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode