Water Temp Meter PLUS Adapter $65 + ship - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Water Temp Meter PLUS Adapter $65 + ship

My right side dash has been fulfilled. It's something I can turn off and on but water temp is the bottom line in engine temps. it's not lights but it shouldn't be changing that often. Voltage meters(/lights) and Water temp meter are good Vs. 650 health gages $100 for both meters (w/o install): sweet!

If anyone figures out the mm hose size (for 2012 year model esp), please post so I can order mine!!

http://kosonorthamerica.com/product/...meter-adapter/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 01:03 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
I've been thinking about adding a coolant temp readout to mine too. There's (I think) the same one on egay for around 60. And I'm not positive but as I recall the 08's is 21mm but I'm not positive. I'll look and get back to ya

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
I've been thinking about adding a coolant temp readout to mine too. There's (I think) the same one on egay for around 60. And I'm not positive but as I recall the 08's is 21mm but I'm not positive. I'll look and get back to ya
Thanks, I looked on MotoSports, but they did not have the adapters. The supplier, Koso, NA, quit selling the adapters and just included them in a cheaper package together that they sold themselves (not enough margin to include retail stores I guess.) Cheaper, better, more: i like it.

I always thought Supermoto bikes deserved Voltage and water temp meters!

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 01:49 PM

don't think I have enough hose left to squeeze that in - I would be better off with a new hole tapped into the side of my thermo bob
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohburn View Post
don't think I have enough hose left to squeeze that in - I would be better off with a new hole tapped into the side of my thermo bob
Got any pics? I never could figure anything out about it except the name, Thermobob. No one ever went into any detail or showed installed pics, so I never did know what they were talking about.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 04:54 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Here are several. Try Bill's web-site:

http://www.watt-man.com/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 'stat side1 copy.jpg (63.9 KB, 191 views)
File Type: jpg T-Bob1 copy.jpg (37.1 KB, 208 views)
File Type: jpg T-Bob2 copy.jpg (36.8 KB, 171 views)
File Type: jpg T-Bob3 copy.jpg (49.2 KB, 175 views)
File Type: jpg T-Bob4.jpg (80.7 KB, 167 views)

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Here are several. Try Bill's web-site:

http://www.watt-man.com/
OK, thermobob, thermobob, thermobob.

BMW F650 Rotax engines had automotive cooling bypass thermostats. I had always thought they were lacking in that area, but evidently is was an advanced feature: doah! I was thinking an electronic sending unit would be more accurate, but the thermobob's craftsmanship is probably superior anyway.

** So will a temperature gage adapter fit with a Vs. 650 themobob on the water hose too? And if so, what diameter size in mm's is the hose diameter? 21mm as Vulpine indicated?

THANK YOU!

Last edited by kawdog; 07-21-2015 at 06:50 PM.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

Look at this youtube of a 2nd gen Versus 650 temp gage! i think it's a Koso too. That was all i could read. But wow! That's nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a49OlIvcz6g

22mm hose (asked twice and skillfully unanswered by youtube op) ??

Last edited by kawdog; 07-22-2015 at 12:18 AM.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 11:31 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post
OK, thermobob, thermobob, thermobob.

BMW F650 Rotax engines had automotive cooling bypass thermostats. I had always thought they were lacking in that area, but evidently is was an advanced feature: doah! I was thinking an electronic sending unit would be more accurate, but the thermobob's craftsmanship is probably superior anyway.

** So will a temperature gage adapter fit with a Vs. 650 themobob on the water hose too? And if so, what diameter size in mm's is the hose diameter? 21mm as Vulpine indicated?

THANK YOU!

If you check out the comments on the youtube page he replied that he used this kit......http://www.ebay.com/itm/Koso-RX-2-Pl...073e6a&vxp=mtr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-22-2015, 01:27 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Depending on which coolant hose you can connect it to, you will be reading only cooled coolant coming out of radiator, or coolant entering radiator when coolant is not bypassed from the radiator by Thermobob... You could however install your temperature sender at the oil pressure access plug to have it read oil temperature which is more relevant... Thermobob's main advantage is in fact that it allows a more desirable and stable oil temperature, which can then also more easily attain a crucial minimum operating temperature of at least 212F (100C).

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...read.php?t=554

Last edited by invader; 07-22-2015 at 01:34 AM.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-22-2015, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Depending on which coolant hose you can connect it to, you will be reading only cooled coolant coming out of radiator, or coolant entering radiator when coolant is not bypassed from the radiator by Thermobob... You could however install your temperature sender at the oil pressure access plug to have it read oil temperature which is more relevant... Thermobob's main advantage is in fact that it allows a more desirable and stable oil temperature, which can then also more easily attain a crucial minimum operating temperature of at least 212F (100C).

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...read.php?t=554
Evidently, it would be the upper hose not bypassed going into the radiator. The oil temp is after the fact of the radiator changes with a lag (even though it is the ultimate variable you want to control.) Poochar never did post again on it except for his pictures of the installation, the only one of this type installation?

Due to the lag and temperature smoothing, measuring the oil temp seems like it would be like watching paint dry. I'm not sure, but the cooling system seems easier to read and correlate without pulling out the slide ruler: which I do not know how to use anyway. The radiator temp gage would show hot and cold: what exactly would the oil temperature indicate?

What is the hose size for the upper radiator: 18, 21, or 22mm?

THANKS!
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-22-2015, 10:20 AM

Garage
Thanks for making me feel old asshole :3 I use a slide ruler. ... And measuring oil temp would be just the same as coolant. But I'd still do coolant just for ease. And you want to run it from the hose coming OUT of the motor (when on the bike the one on the left) to be getting the motor temp . on the other side would be to measure you radiator effectiveness...

yes im a guy.

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-22-2015, 11:29 AM

Guys - its slide rule ...not slide ruler. Geez!
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-22-2015, 11:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
Thanks for making me feel old asshole :3 I use a slide ruler. ... And measuring oil temp would be just the same as coolant. But I'd still do coolant just for ease. And you want to run it from the hose coming OUT of the motor (when on the bike the one on the left) to be getting the motor temp . on the other side would be to measure you radiator effectiveness...
LOL Vulpine,

The water hose ID is... 19mm

I'll be getting a custom Thermobob 3 kit and measuring water going into the engine (10 degrees cooler, rather than up to 100 degrees cooler on oem system), and the sensor will be mounted directly to the Thermobob(3.)

I wonder if I'll be the first CA pollution control Vs. 650 thermobob with a water temp gage too. Bill seemed to know exactly what to do, and he will also determine if Koso or Trail Tech is the better water temp meter value for me. Thank goodness our bikes are so similar to KLR's (and Ninja 250's.) Little did I know when I saw all the repetitive Thermobob jibberish posts on this site, that it would be my link to overcome maybe the only shortfall of the Vs. 650, and provide a means to measure it too.

Thermobob, Thermobob, Thermobob
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-22-2015, 12:02 PM

Garage
Oh nice to know.. Can you pm me some detailes when you get it.price, pics and how you described it to him(i suck at that)because I was dreading modding one myself once I got enough money saved up for it

yes im a guy.

post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-22-2015, 12:08 PM
RMS

is it possible to replace the water temperature sensor on the engine block and use that for the temp gauge,?????
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-22-2015, 12:37 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
According to jh61 who showed the available LED display: "The probe is an NTC. Its value decreases in logarithmic mode when the T increases. Therefore a signal conditioning (with high impedance) is necessary to obtain a linear V/T scale."

Water temperature voltage input is 5 volts as in automotive applications. Voltage output should be between 2.80 and 2.97 volts at 20 C (68 F).

Water temperature sensor resistance:
–20C (–4F): 18.80 2.37 kΩ
0C (32F): About 6.544 kΩ
40C (104F): 1.136 0.095 kΩ
100C (212F): 0.1553 0.0070 kΩ

Oil temp gauge: http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=21703
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-22-2015, 12:41 PM

glad my post helped to lead you down that rabbit trail

I've been real happy with the results of my thermobob since I ride year round.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-22-2015, 02:33 PM
RMS

Oil temp gauge: http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=21703
Thank You Invader !!
The oil protects the engine also ,, Here in Texas the air temp is up to 100f and getting hotter,
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-24-2015, 12:05 AM Thread Starter

$18 (No. 1 Amazon diagnos tool, IR temp gun) + $51 (trail tech complete 19mm kit and water temp gage) = You're Done! (for now)

Thanks Guys!

Last edited by kawdog; 07-24-2015 at 12:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode