$10 winshield Madstad alternative - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
$10 winshield Madstad alternative

Hi all -

When I found that madstad wanted a fortune (more than my shield) for the adjustable bracket - I made my own.

I bought $3.99 brass "stanley" bracket...

MG]http://i973.photobucket.com/albums/ae213/csairey/009.jpg[/IMG]

Then some electical tape

I then taped the brackets up as shown - this is for cosmetic as well as making sure not to scratch the screen - the brass bracket WILL scratch the shield with its sharp edges - beware

I then attached the bracket to the shield - making sure to use washers.

NOTE I used two brackets for each side (the set comes with four) for strength - note I used one black and one blue bracket (both are the same)

Then attacked with spacer on the upper bracket

This raises the shield by 1.5 to 2" -

It is raining like crazy here so I can't test it out today, but will add more of the success or failure when tested

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Foo Fighter Rider
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 11:12 AM

looks like A cool cencept, hope it works out let us know.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 01:29 PM

Nice start, but the main feature of the Mad-Stad bracket is that it changes the screen's angle of attack, not just moves it up or down. You can add spacers at the bottom - you'll probably improve the flow over the windscreen and reduce turbulence.

I used a 1 cm spacer at the bottom of my Powerbronze and it improved the flow significantly. You can the gap between the screen and the bracket in this pic:

Gustavo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

Thanks - I will try the spacer - Just took her out and turbulence was improved slightly, but not to the point of satisfaction

Foo Fighter Rider
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 11:59 PM

Boy that thing is ugly, but I like that you're thinking outside the box, csa, so props there. You've just given me an idea...
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 12:46 AM

Hey hope it works for ya!
But as someone else just stated.... the madstad not only extends the height... but the best feature is the angle adjustment!

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 02:46 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Good work csa714.

If it doesn't work dont give up keep trying and you will get it right.

Failure is one step close to getting it right.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 08:55 AM

I did this back in '08. I makes a lot of difference with the wind.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...2713#post32713

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

Update - no - I did not do the trick - I have Mikes and Givi - and Madstat on the way...I plan to do a comparison for the forum with the following...

1) Arm length - every rider is positioned differenty (distance from the rim of the shield)
2) Height of top of helment and bottom from the ground (torso height compared to inseam)
3) Height of shield
4) Angle of shield

A lot of variables - but I hope to come up with a triangular formula (shoulder point #1 - arm length to grips#2 base of the triangle - and then to the helmet top to form the top of triangle #3) and then top back to the shoulders to provide an optimum shape (of the triangle) to resolve this once and for all.

Foo Fighter Rider
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csa714 View Post
Update - no - I did not do the trick - I have Mikes and Givi - and Madstat on the way...I plan to do a comparison for the forum with the following...

1) Arm length - every rider is positioned differenty (distance from the rim of the shield)
2) Height of top of helment and bottom from the ground (torso height compared to inseam)
3) Height of shield
4) Angle of shield

A lot of variables - but I hope to come up with a triangular formula (shoulder point #1 - arm length to grips#2 base of the triangle - and then to the helmet top to form the top of triangle #3) and then top back to the shoulders to provide an optimum shape (of the triangle) to resolve this once and for all.
How did the Madstat work out for you? I just returned from a 1000 mile trip, and I'm thinking of buying the Madstat. or ?
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by trialsguy View Post
How did the Madstat work out for you? I just returned from a 1000 mile trip, and I'm thinking of buying the Madstat. or ?
Yes - although surprisingly is was not the height, but rather the angle of the shield that provides the best solution for me. I guided it to my helmet (not over top of it) and the buffeting was gone. Wind noise was down, but still there. It is not perfect by any stretch but it certainly helps - I am ready to go on my own 1000 trek.

Foo Fighter Rider
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 05:27 PM

Problem is, we sit so upright on this bike we would need a gigantic screen. As a test, if you lean way forward and down at speed (sportbike position) the wind goes away.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blipco View Post
Problem is, we sit so upright on this bike we would need a gigantic screen. As a test, if you lean way forward and down at speed (sportbike position) the wind goes away.
Yep, I've noticed that.

I also have noticed that if I just sit on the very front part of my seat, most of the turbulence goes away (even without hunkering down). This tells me that maybe it's the distance from the shield to my helmet that is causing the turbulence. So - I may modify my windshield mounts to move the shield closer to me, and maybe more angle too. I will likely have notch my Givi shield to provide clearance to the clutch and brake levers to do it though. I realize that this would close down the "air intake" between the headlight and the shield, which may introduce a change of its own.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode