Got my Cruise Control working! - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-22-2010, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Got my Cruise Control working!

After fiddling with it for a month, among other farkles. I got my cruise control adjusted and working. Thanks for all the advice from those I pm'ed.

Would I do it again? I'd have to think about that one. It was far more work than I'd hoped for. It is nice to set it and forget it.
I think I feel a SS1000 coming up in a few weeks!

Another major comfort addition, cruiser style grips. I have large hands XXXL gloves. I took a pair of foam aftermarket grips and cut them down in length. They have eliminated hand cramps and my be the ticket for large-handed guys.

Also added Pro-Taper ATV bars, KTM handguards, Admore LED lighting on my V35 bags, and swithched fuse block from Eastern Beaver under the seat.

I think my farkling has come to an end.
Looking at a list, I think it is more than I paid for the bike!

SW-Motech Racks
V35 bags
Admore LED kit
43T sprocket
Corbin saddle
RAM gps mount
Nuvi 550 gps
OSRAM 65W bulbs
Moto Werk peg lowering kit
Moto Werk Flat Foot
Moto Werk mirror extenders
Easter Beaver fuseblock
Foam cruiser grips
SW-Motech crash bars
ALgard adjustable windshield brackets
Mikes touring shield
Algard engine guard plate
Fenda Extenda
H-D radiator guard
CCS 100 cruise control
Rivco highway pegs

Kansas - Eleven curves in three hundred eighteen miles...

2008 Versys, SOLD!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 BMW R1150RT Lovin it!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bscott; 05-22-2010 at 04:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-22-2010, 05:21 PM

What Cruise Control? I have a css-100 sitting in the garage. Looking to see how other made connections. Pictures please!!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-22-2010, 11:49 PM Thread Starter

It is the CCS 100.
I didn't take any pics.

I followed what others before me have done. There are several threads around here somewhere.

I did have to mount the control under the left fairing. Most mount it under the seat. If you have a Corbin, the deeper seat pan does not allow this. I mounted my vacuum reservoir under the seat.

2008 Versys, SOLD!

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 11:22 AM

How did you make the throttle connection? It was perplexing me as I was looking at it last night.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 12:02 AM Thread Starter

Actually, the throttle was the easiest part. I thought about it for some time. The way I did it was to drill and tap two holes in the black assembly the the cables attach to, I then used two screws to attach an aluminum strap that the cable attaches to.
I'll take a couple pics tomorrow and post them.

The main problem I had was a place to mount the controller. If you have a stock seat pan, I see that others have mounted the control under the seat and the vacuum reservoir behind the left fairing piece.

2008 Versys, SOLD!

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 08:20 AM

Cool, I was wondering how you made out. I installed mine over the winter a year ago, so the bike spent a few weeks apart as I worked on it a couple of hours each weekend, so it wasn't so bad. However, to do it again, I bet I could install one on the Versys in a few hours, most of the time I spent was in routing and rerouting wires and such to make it look neat and thinking about where and how to mount things. Mine has been installed now well over a year in all sorts of weather and riding conditions without issue.

The servo does fit under the stock seat, you just need to take out the tool kit, I keep mine in my top case now and the vac can fits perfectly behind the left fairing. I posted a big write up with pics a while ago, along with the required servo dip switch settings to get it to work. I can se teh cruise from about 25 MPH all the way up to a tested 85 MPH, I am betting it would hold it even higher, I just never saw the need to have cruise on at speeds above 85 MPH. Also, it is amazing how perfectly the cut off works with either brake or the clutch, not to mention the on/off switch, plus you can easily override the throttle control if needed, so the risk of having the throttle staying engaged is next to nill.

I will say I LOVE having electronic cruise and it will be on every single bike I own from now on.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

I'm only having one issue with mine right now. I went for a 345 mile ride this weekend in really hilly country and found that the cruise will not maintain anything over 68 mph on big hills. It does fine on level ground.
I think my vacuum canister is too small. There isn't much room under my seat (I have a Corbin) I made a canister out of 1 1/2" PVC the width of the toolbox. I think I'll explore using the right fairing area for a larger one. Another possibility is under the rear fender tucked up under the light and painted black. Maybe 2" PVC.

2008 Versys, SOLD!

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 10:00 AM

Yes the vac can is too small. I have the same issue on big hills, it will lose some speed, however if I help the thottle a little to bring it back up to speed on the hill it will hold it. This only happens on big long hills and for the most part it doesn't lose so much speed to be a big deal, most of the time I just let is slow down a few MPH and then catch back up once the hill is over. A larger vac can would help, but I too had no place to put it. Larger motors make a lot more vac from the engine which makes the smaller can workable, but the V doesn't make a lot of vac so a small can is an issue.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 10:16 AM

Okay, bare with me as this may be a dumb-ass question... Would there be a way to get more volume (I am assuming that you would need more volume out of the cannister) buy using a large flex tubing(hose) from say home depot or the like?
I was wondering if it would be easier to cap a piece of flex somehow and simply mold it to the bike with zip ties?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 11:00 AM

I think the issue comes in with how much vac is available from the engine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode