Laminar Lip instalation help please. - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Laminar Lip instalation help please.

I ask, because i am assuming someone on this site knows better than i do!

I got a laminar lip to add to my givi wind screen. I was still getting alot of wind noise and buffeting about my helmet. For the record im 6-1, inseam? Not sure, but when i buy pants the length is usually between 32 and 34 depending on the brand.

I called Laminar Lip Friday and asked for some placement help. They were reluctant to give me specific instructions, but all i was after was a starting point for my height. So i was told that 2 inches of the lip sticking up over the top of the Givi should do the trick. I did the 2 about, then 3 above and then 1 above. 3 and 1 were terrible, 2 was ok, but i still get some wind hitting the top of my head, kind of like someone is patting the top of my head.

I have the givi set at the highest stock setting, just and fyi if that info is important.

So is it just more trail and error? I use some gorilla tape to hold the lip in place as i rode around testing the various heights. Is the 2 inches going to be pretty much as good as it gets? Or should i lower the givi and then try it again? I dont like this driving and stopping, driving and stopping all afternoon. But i also dont want to mount the thing and have it in a bad location.

HELP PLEASE!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 05:43 PM

Put it as high as it can go and still stay attached. Then, if not satisfied, lower it an inch at a time.

Think of it as you might when getting a new riding jacket to fit properly.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

Will do. I think im done for the day though, just kind of tired of doing it. Ill try that this week though Scott, thanks for the advice.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 08:50 PM

Have you tried tilting the Givi shield back?

If you do a search you'll find that a few Givi screen owners inserted rubber washers between the lower set of holes in the screen and the Versys's mounting brackets.

I did this and made the screen a lot better for me. I'm 6 feet tall and I mount the screen in it's highest position. I've never considered installing a laminar lip, but sometimes I think about trying a different shield. The Givi, leaned back, interferes with steering at near full lock position. OK for riding at speed, but a pain when moving the bike around in the driveway.

The washers I used are black rubber faucet washers from the hardware plumbing section. You'll also need longer screws for the lower mounting holes, and perhaps nuts with through holes instead of the factory acorn nuts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

Ok, so no matter what the setting, the laminar lip causes my head to get really beat on by the wind.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 09:36 PM

If you hold your hand up just in front of your face (fingers horizontal) and move it up & down... you’ll be able to feel exactly where the air flow is breaking, which should help in determining how the height & angle settings are effecting it and where it needs to be.

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 09:58 PM

I am the guy who had the Madstad bracket and sold it. Don't even think about it!!
I now have Givi shield with Laminar lip and it works fine. So far much better than any other combo. I did see an article in Cycle World where they used stock shield with Laminar lip and liked it. I might try that sometime. As far as wind noise, I have found ear plugs to be the only answer.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 11:48 AM

I tried the stock shield, Vario and Givi windscreen over the last four years. The Givi was the best of the three. I added the laminar lip just before a four thousand kilometer trip this year and I was extremely happy with the result. The Versys is now very quiet...I can hear the motor clearly and there is no buffeting. The only time I was getting wind noise was when there was a strong cross wind. Wish I would have had this from the beginning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode