14T Front Sprocket 47T Rear Sprocket?! - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-02-2015, 02:11 AM Thread Starter

14T Front Sprocket 47T Rear Sprocket?!

Hi guys,

I have picked up a versys for a bit of a steal otherwise I'd probably never had owned one, typically I am a sports bike rider but so many people have raved about the versys and how its ideal for commuting!

Again typically with my other bikes I always carry out a service and change the chain and sprockets purely so I know that from my ownership everything was 'A ok!' Now normally I drop the front sprocket a tooth and raise the rear a tooth, a pretty typical mod for sports bikes I believe, most likely down to no one ever really using 180mph on the road!

Now I have done some research and it seems no one carries out this mod on the versys, again I may be wrong and I realise this bike isn't necessarily a performance bike and that usually those who own these aren't after performance!

Well i've ordered a replacement 14T front sprocket and a renthal 47T rear sprocket plus some titanium to fasten it on!

Just curious of your opinions of this or whether there is a reason this mod is avoided?

Oh and I've noticed the stock front sprocket has that rubber seal, presumably for sound deadening, my guess is I will get a lot more noise?

Cheers guys!

Aleck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-02-2015, 02:57 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Visit gear http://www.gearingcommander.com/

14T front is too sharp radius and might shorten the chain life.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-02-2015, 06:55 AM

I'd imagine gears 1,2,3 will be useless, and you'll find the limiter at highway speeds in 6th.

2014 Valkyrie 1800

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-02-2015, 01:23 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleck002 View Post
Now I have done some research and it seems no one carries out this mod on the versys, again I may be wrong and I realise this bike isn't necessarily a performance bike and that usually those who own these aren't after performance!...
It's NOT a 'performance bike'...? ...NEWS to me! We had a Brit on here who was a VG rider, and he posted videos of him on his V during track-days against stuff like Gixxer 1000s. OF COURSE they "had him" on the straights, but he had THEM in the corners! Maybe someone has a link...?

Quote:
...Just curious of your opinions of this or whether there is a reason this mod is avoided?...
Probably 'cause it AIN'T necessary.

Quote:
...Oh and I've noticed the stock front sprocket has that rubber seal, presumably for sound deadening, my guess is I will get a lot more noise?...
You're right - it's for sound deadening. I've replaced SEVERAL countershaft sprockets, ALWAYS w/ ones that DON'T have the rubber. Never noticed any increase in noise (but I wear ear-plugs)....

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-05-2015, 05:12 PM

I have been using a 14T on the front for about 4000mi.
It is a lot more responsive in the twistys and taking off from a stop.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-05-2015, 07:24 PM

It will pull some awesome wheelies with that gearing. I just keep mine above 6 grand if I want to rip out of corners. Your right it's not a performance bike like a ZX10 but it will perform.

I spent most of my money on bikes, booze and broads. The rest I wasted.

I'd like to have a bad day, just to see what it feels like.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode