sw-motech engine guards, skidplate and barkbusters on sale at revzilla! - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-22-2015, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation sw-motech engine guards, skidplate and barkbusters on sale at revzilla!

I was ready to shell out $209 for the sw-motech engine guards for my versys, but I decided to see if anyone else had them cheaper. revzilla popped up with a price of $175 for the engine guards! $40 savings, HECK YEAH!

I looked around to see what else was on sale, the barkbusters Storm handguards were also on sale for $127! I ordered both, so now my versys will be much better protected, and also look more like an adventure touring bike should.

now there are only a couple things remaining for me to buy for the bike, the madstad screen, sw-motech skid plate (ALSO ON SALE for $224, cant afford yet), auxiliary driving lights and a rear hugger.

hopefully this will save some of you a few bucks who have been looking at these things.

Thunder Blue 2013 Versys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-22-2015, 09:20 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Don't forget to pick up a Kaoko Cruise control also 20% off!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-23-2015, 12:50 AM

wow, thanks for the post TB, they are blowing out everything Motech! i had a long list of items to purchase from twistedthrottle, now i don't.

question... does anyone know whether the Motech EVO side racks are compatible with an already-mounted Givi topbox rack?

In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
=>
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-23-2015, 11:44 AM

The Hepco Becker engine guard covers the radiator, and that is point that will hit first ($X,XXX): save $100 on sale? After getting the HB crash bars put on with my SW rear aluminum rack (from twisted throttle) 5 hours later, I fell on my right side and just had to spray paint both bars nicked where they hit the blacktop: no damage o/w..

As for the skid plate, are you riding off-road? If you don't have a shortened mod, you can add a little more (useful) weight and get a SW centerstand (also from twisted.) Definitely keep your radar going when looking for any ticket size item (w/shipping and tax combined) but make sure that is most protective and most useful item you will need first. If the sale is what you were going to get anyway, great: o/w I rarely buy because of a sale alone to add dead weight. ymmv
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-23-2015, 12:34 PM

Garage
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bEDVpLvP_4

Last edited by MaverickAus; 05-23-2015 at 12:37 PM.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-23-2015, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post
The Hepco Becker engine guard covers the radiator, and that is point that will hit first ($X,XXX): save $100 on sale? After getting the HB crash bars put on with my SW rear aluminum rack (from twisted throttle) 5 hours later, I fell on my right side and just had to spray paint both bars nicked where they hit the blacktop: no damage o/w..

As for the skid plate, are you riding off-road? If you don't have a shortened mod, you can add a little more (useful) weight and get a SW centerstand (also from twisted.) Definitely keep your radar going when looking for any ticket size item (w/shipping and tax combined) but make sure that is most protective and most useful item you will need first. If the sale is what you were going to get anyway, great: o/w I rarely buy because of a sale alone to add dead weight. ymmv
like I said, I was planning on getting the engine guards anyways, but the handguards were icing on the cake. I was going to get them eventually anyways, but the sale just sweetened the deal, along with no sales tax and free shipping.

they also have the center stand on sale for the versys, which I will get at some point, but I think I spent enough for one weekend.

Thunder Blue 2013 Versys
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-26-2015, 07:05 AM

Kaoko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigitt View Post
Don't forget to pick up a Kaoko Cruise control also 20% off!
I have one of these on my bike as well, but have had some difficulty getting it to work without extensive cranking on the wheel. It may have been that I don't have the "scrub screw" trned in sufficiently, or that the screw pressure if pushing the throttle control inward?

Any thoughts?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-26-2015, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
on the contrary, hit anything hard with the HB guards and the upper bar folds right into the radiator. there are several photos on this forum, here's one...

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q...IMG_0024-1.jpg

from inmate sambamboo "Had the Hepco and Becker bars Yep they are fine if all your planing on doing is dropping it on its side or sliding down the road ...on the other hand if those bars hit anything they bend rather spectacularly, in my case they bent back enough to puncture the radiator. (2 months off the road )"
OK, your sample data when you made your decision was different than when I bought mine. There is a point where you go from damage control to saving limbs and lives. Hepco Becker has always provided superior coverage for many years and many bikes for me. They are THE premier luggage and safety rack company in the world. Anything is better than nothing, but look at the probabilities: I would rather not spend over $1000 dollars for dropping a bike at low speed, you would rather not puncture a radiator when your bike is totaled and it saved your limbs and life. That pic you showed did not look that bad. I hope I'll never slide it 1/2 mile like someone posted, lol. I assume the damage to the radiator would be more than with no radiator bar at all: it's the first thing that hits on the side (along with damage to the tank and controls without)!

There is more life, limb, damage, and probability analysis to make a judgment than one picture and one sentence quote from a member. It has already saved me over $1000 with a couple of sprays of rustoleum from walmart. A big part is how you react that leads to the resulting damage from the wreck: and what little you can do to man handle your bike makes a significant difference. More people here recommended the HB when I looked; and the SW does not even fit my 2012 California bike model.

** Every new guard for new bikes I've seen for singles and twins (BMW, Husqvarna, etc...) has the same profile over the radiator exactly like the world leading HB guard, exactly. I like SW and have bought their centerstand, rear AL rack, and maybe something else; but I'd probably have chosen HB if they made the same options for our bike. We are lucky to have SW sponsor our bike and I appreciate it. But I'm not going to risk my life or wealth for any sponsor. SW products are close to oem quality, but HB equipment as a rule is superior to any oem.

Last edited by kawdog; 05-26-2015 at 07:52 PM.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-26-2015, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

I don't understand why you are getting so defensive about jdrocks post kawdog. he's stating his opinion of the HB bars with pictures to back it up, if that's not proof that they didn't protect the radiator then I don't know what is.

also, im pretty sure that with the sw-motech crash bars, they will be the first thing that hits the ground, not the radiator. the barkbusters will keep the radiator from touching combined with the sw-motech bars.

and here is the video proof that led me to buy the sw-motech bars.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XudvK9mBdpA

crashed twice and there is no damage on the engine or any of the fairings.

even if you have a California emissions model, you can rotate the module out of the way of the bar and have the sw-motech work on it.

Thunder Blue 2013 Versys
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-26-2015, 07:44 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
sw-motech engine guards, skidplate and barkbusters on sale at revzilla!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherrypicker7 View Post
I have one of these on my bike as well, but have had some difficulty getting it to work without extensive cranking on the wheel. It may have been that I don't have the "scrub screw" trned in sufficiently, or that the screw pressure if pushing the throttle control inward?

Any thoughts?

The grub screw only tightens the friction hold of the throttle lock screw. If the grub screw is too loose then the knobs can rotate very easily and be a source of vibration or might not hold the throttle in position. Too tight and it will be to hard to turn as you will not feel the tightening of the throttle. I tighten mine so that it was enough to put light resistance on the knob when turning but still loose enough that I can turn it with my pinky finger.

If it undo the knob all the way and lock to the bar end then it does require man y many turns to lock the throttle. Maybe 6-8 rotations. The knob will actually start squeezing against the throttle tube to hold it in position and provide cruise control.

When I am riding and will need to use it I prepare the knob so that it is against the throttle end ready to turn on. When I'm in the twisters I lock it to the right onto the bar end out of the way.

Last edited by Gigitt; 05-26-2015 at 07:50 PM.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-26-2015, 09:05 PM

Just a word on a great cruise throttle control. Omni Cruise. I have been using the same one. three different bikes over 4 years. For 50 bucks it just works.

www.omni-cruise.com
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-27-2015, 03:15 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleighman View Post
Just a word on a great cruise throttle control. Omni Cruise. I have been using the same one. three different bikes over 4 years. For 50 bucks it just works.

www.omni-cruise.com
I got an omni cruise too...I also think it great.
but I bought a brand new Kaoko for AU$50 ... winning!
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-30-2015, 08:48 PM

looks like I made a happy accident. Got my engine guards last week and paid $175. Although I got my barkbusters 3 weeks ago and paid the normal price, so it evens out.

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-30-2015, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

my hand guards came in yesterday, and my engine guards will be here Tuesday. I'll get a couple pictures of it with the hand guards on tomorrow sometime, if its not raining out.

they stop the bugs quite nicely, but the wind still gets to the top of my hands, it should keep my fingers a little warmer in the colder months and protect from the rain.

the hardest part was getting the stock bar ends off, that yellow Loctite doesn't like to let go!

Thunder Blue 2013 Versys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode