Trying to install lowering link, shock spacer won't fit - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

Trying to install lowering link, shock spacer won't fit

Seems the stock spacer inside the shock that incerts into the lowering link is widwr than the lowering link. Anyone have this issue? We've been grinding it to try and fit it but it's getting shorter than the shock. Might not be a good idea to do that. Any thought?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 08:23 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
pictures would be nice

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimfire View Post
Seems the stock spacer inside the shock that incerts into the lowering link is widwr than the lowering link. Anyone have this issue? We've been grinding it to try and fit it but it's getting shorter than the shock. Might not be a good idea to do that. Any thought?

What brand is the lowering link? Motowerks should fit perfectly.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

it is from Moto werks. We had To reattach the spring so I could ride it home.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 06:27 PM

Suggest you give them (Speedy) a call, or send email. He's very responsive.
l've never heard of a problem. I installed two of them on my 09V and 10V.

I measured 1.256" between the faces of the lowering block - where the shock attaches.
Yours must be less than that. If so, you need a replacement; from Motoworks.

Last edited by ScottyNeal; 05-04-2015 at 06:33 PM.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, friends. I did contact them this evening. Have not heard back yet. I need to start remembering to take pics when things are not going so smooth. I am not used to doing the work myself.

Sorry, but What do you mean I need a replacement? Thanks.

Beth
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 09:39 PM

I just installed my lowering link last week.

I put it together, and it didn't look right. I noticed an extra washer laying around. I then rechecked the instructions. I found that I left out the big washer that is to be used under the nut. Once I put that in, everything snugged up perfectly. It works better than I imagined. I also installed a new shock from Progressive. I feel much racyer with a lower bike!
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-05-2015, 01:18 AM

Garage
Quote:
Did you follow the instructions? Mine went perfectly and the only others that I have heard about going wrong didn't follow the instructions.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-05-2015, 04:03 AM

You're almost there! You better be thinking about the adjustable machined side stand NOW. Don't forget how heavy it is! Raising and lowering bikes are usually hell.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-12-2015, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

Sorry friends. I forgot I posted this post! No luck still. The part that is holding me up is the sleeve inside the end of the shock absorber that fits into the lowering link. It's too wide/long! The link is for an ABS bike but the company and the seller says it will work on my non-abs bike. Not getting a ton of help from the company. I am trying to talk to speedy but can't get past the woman in charge of ordering. I tried to call him again today. We tried filing the sleeve down but we are concerned about modifying that part too much. Sorry no pics, have not tried an install a second time yet. Does anyone know what I am talking about?

Beth
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-12-2015, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Sorry friends. I forgot I posted this post! No luck still. The part that is holding me up is the sleeve inside the end of the shock absorber that fits into the lowering link. It's too wide/long! The link is for an ABS bike but the company and the seller says it will work on my non-abs bike. Not getting a ton of help from the company. I am trying to talk to speedy but can't get past the woman in charge of ordering. I tried to call him again today. We tried filing the sleeve down but we are concerned about modifying that part too much. Sorry no pics, have not tried an install a second time yet. Does anyone know what I am talking about?

Beth
Pics, Baby, pics: we need more pics!
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post
Pics, Baby, pics: we need more pics!
... And take some measurments. What is the length of the bushing from Speedy? What is the width of the space that it has to fit into?
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by trialsguy View Post
... And take some measurments. What is the length of the bushing from Speedy? What is the width of the space that it has to fit into?
Yep, will get some pics this weekend. Everyone wants pics.
B
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 05:52 PM

Quote:

Pictures should be worth a thousand words. This is Motowerks Abs model because I have a rear hugger. Fits exactly the same as standard model.
Yours should be just like this. No grinding necessary.
ImageUploadedByMO Free1431730185.787602.jpgImageUploadedByMO Free1431730201.625994.jpgImageUploadedByMO Free1431730227.875742.jpgImageUploadedByMO Free1431730252.570769.jpg

post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 08:50 PM

Garage
This problem seems strange. The space in the lowering link for shock is same as factory shock mount. The person installing this is not trying to include the washer in the spot, are they? heres the link to the instructions. I had no trouble installing mine. To verify the problem, raise bike by foot pegs to remove load from spring, disconnect the shock from the swing arm mount point. lift the rear of shock and put it in the lowering link. The lowering link at this time should not be connected to the bike. Motowerks has a good product, with good instructions. The only way it would not fit, is if someone had installed the incorrect shock and made changes to the factory mount point to widen it. To check that out, use the hollow spacer rod in the kit. Fit this into the factory shock mount point. It should be touching the 2 sides. If it wiggles excessively, someone made changes.
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 08:56 AM

I'd love to help, but I can't get them (we had a woman call and email about it) to send us photos. They supposedly bought a used kit from someone and won't show the photos of the bike or how they are trying to install the kit.
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Gonzalez View Post
I'd love to help, but I can't get them (we had a woman call and email about it) to send us photos. They supposedly bought a used kit from someone and won't show the photos of the bike or how they are trying to install the kit.

This is just my opinion but I don't think the problem lies with the lowering kit unless it has been altered
by someone. I have found Motowerks products are first class in every way.

onewizard likes this.

Last edited by E327; 05-20-2015 at 10:21 PM.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 08:38 PM

Garage
Then to top the great product, you have the owner begging to let him help you on the forum. That is Outstanding Customer service. Speedy Keep up the great work.
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 10:46 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by E327 View Post
This is just my opinion but I don't think the problem lies with the lowering kit unless it has been altered
by someone. I have found Motowerks products are first class in every way.

Almost sounds similar to the bad weld on the swing arm issue.
In any case, I have the mirror extenders, lowering link, foot peg lowering, highway peg mounts, If I was to have something made for me where my life could depend on it, Motowerks would be the place for me. Extreme precision and first class quality, just tried out the highway pegs in the garage, decided to turn the bike around to lube the chain, last maneuver moved the kickstand up, YUP over she goes and I can't stop it. Full tank of fuel,on top of the highway peg , no damage , just hard to get back up, as I don't have the strength that I had 7 years ago, retirement does that to you.
You know what would be nice is a latching mechanism for that dam kickstand, or a better kickstand.
JACoH likes this.

Last edited by onewizard; 05-20-2015 at 10:48 PM.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-21-2015, 12:16 AM

"Pics, Pics, Pics, Pics, Pics, ..."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode