Motobiiz chain oiler - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-01-2015, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

Motobriiz chain oiler install and review

I have recently installed a Motobriiz chain oiler - it works by wind -

www.motobriiz.com

and I couldn't find anyone using them here so I thought I would post up an install and pending review.

I ordered directly from the website and dealt with Mike the owner who is very pleasant and responsive. I ordered the main unit with the added water trap and additional pads.

Installation was fairly easy but a bit different from the install videos when it comes to the chain applicator. Basically it has to be installed with the feeder tube on the outside. You must loosen the chain, and remove the front sproket cover in order to get the chain guard out (a bit tricky). I would highly recommend gluing the applicator with the guard reinstalled on the bike as it's tricky getting the guard back in. Somehow I managed to loose one of the applicators while prechecking figment in the garage which still has me scratching my head.

In the locations I choose for everything under the seat the seat latches back on perfectly. I used some Velcro to keep things even more secure.

Overall I love how clean an install everything is. No one would even know it's there. I can see oil on my chain and reassure myself by running my finger on it which always comes up with a nice oil smear. It was suggested to use 75w gear oil but I had some 5w - 30 oil somehow in the garage that I will never use so I started there. If there is too much fling I will go up in weight.

It just installed everything recently so I will report back when I've had more time with it. So far very pleased.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (29.9 KB, 546 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (59.8 KB, 507 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (70.7 KB, 497 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (56.8 KB, 482 views)
File Type: jpg 6.jpg (67.7 KB, 475 views)
File Type: jpg 7.jpg (63.6 KB, 505 views)
File Type: jpg 8.jpg (72.3 KB, 576 views)
File Type: jpg 9.jpg (55.2 KB, 525 views)

Last edited by NJmongrel; 05-02-2015 at 02:25 PM. Reason: misspelled title
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-02-2015, 03:17 AM

Good job! It looks like a big job on your new bike. UK, CA(nada), and Northern US riders are big on those, and for good reason. Oily to bed, oily to rise.

Chain maintenance is an art of cleaning with solvent spray a towel and putting oil spray on after riding, that would not be difficult with a larger size chain (525.) My BMW F650 ST has a smaller 520 chain too which is a B, but at least I've got mag wheels on my Vs. 650: you can't have everything. But I'd rather try to maintain it with hi-tech cleaning and oil motorcycle products.Thanks for the review. The ice-age may move down South one day soon if no one tells China to man-up on their environmental impact and I'll need it.

The bad thing about the Northern US and the UK is they pay everyone to salt the roads. So those oilers putting raw unigrade oils constantly on your chain helps oil your whole bike to slow down corrosion. I'll be following your results just in case I need one some day.

Last edited by kawdog; 05-02-2015 at 03:20 AM.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-02-2015, 10:21 PM
Super Moderator

Looks like $59 bucks right now on their web store. I give them credit for coming up with a feed method that was not vac or electronic, just from the standpoint of uniqueness, and I like the idea that it does not "involve" the bike by having to tap vac or elec. Just me.

Curious how it works out. I was planning to build something, never got around to it yet. The savings can add up quick when you look at what they charge for the no fling type chain lube in spray cans, you know- the no fling stuff that flys all over the swing-arm and stuff...

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-02-2015, 11:26 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
now how can we get it to feed WD-40?

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unstable_rider View Post
The savings can add up quick when you look at what they charge for the no fling type chain lube in spray cans, you know- the no fling stuff that flys all over the swing-arm and stuff...
The reason it flings off is that it is not cleaned enough with the solvent product when the owner is in a rush and just has time to put the essential oil on the chain. It looks like a 2 to 1 ration of oiling to cleaning is about right. About the 3rd time oiling it w/o cleaning it with solvent product and towel, tiny little oil blobs start falling off.

But when it it cleaned properly, the Gold DID Stockpro chain looks good as gold! Chains are good, and I think you are doing the best thing for your environment. My landlord would flip out if I had an oiler leaving oil drops on the garage floor! And i like my garage, so...
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 04:53 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post

$25 bucks for a gallon of it...

http://www.amazon.com/WD-40-Heavy-Duty-Gallon-Can/dp/B0083V8J38
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 04:56 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post
The reason it flings off is that it is not cleaned enough with the solvent product when the owner is in a rush and just has time to put the essential oil on the chain. It looks like a 2 to 1 ration of oiling to cleaning is about right. About the 3rd time oiling it w/o cleaning it with solvent product and towel, tiny little oil blobs start falling off.

But when it it cleaned properly, the Gold DID Stockpro chain looks good as gold! Chains are good, and I think you are doing the best thing for your environment. My landlord would flip out if I had an oiler leaving oil drops on the garage floor! And i like my garage, so...
If an oiler is set up right, it is less prone to drips on the floor than some kid's bikes/chains I have seen that were over-oiled. Most over -oil when doing it from spray cans perhaps.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 07:10 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
I have run a Pro-Oiler now for 18 months.
I do park my bike often inside my living room on a rear paddock stand
No drips on the floor... then again i do put cardboard under the bike just incase
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 03:36 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I'm w/ "unstable_rider" on WD40 in bulk. AND use a hose w/ smaller ID.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I'm w/ "unstable_rider" on WD40 in bulk. AND use a hose w/ smaller ID.
Wont' the wd40 solvent eat the x and o rings up in new chains?
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 05:37 AM Thread Starter

The only drips I'be experienced so far was in the initial set up when it is recommended to saturate the pad and I probably over saturated it. I have a 1600 mile coming up at the end of the month. It will be a good time to put the Motobriiz to the test.

On a side note I misspelled the product name in my title. Anyway to fix that?
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-23-2015, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmongrel View Post
I have recently installed a Motobriiz chain oiler - it works by wind -

www.motobriiz.com

and I couldn't find anyone using them here so I thought I would post up an install and pending review.

I ordered directly from the website and dealt with Mike the owner who is very pleasant and responsive. I ordered the main unit with the added water trap and additional pads.

Installation was fairly easy but a bit different from the install videos when it comes to the chain applicator. Basically it has to be installed with the feeder tube on the outside. You must loosen the chain, and remove the front sproket cover in order to get the chain guard out (a bit tricky). I would highly recommend gluing the applicator with the guard reinstalled on the bike as it's tricky getting the guard back in. Somehow I managed to loose one of the applicators while prechecking figment in the garage which still has me scratching my head.

In the locations I choose for everything under the seat the seat latches back on perfectly. I used some Velcro to keep things even more secure.

Overall I love how clean an install everything is. No one would even know it's there. I can see oil on my chain and reassure myself by running my finger on it which always comes up with a nice oil smear. It was suggested to use 75w gear oil but I had some 5w - 30 oil somehow in the garage that I will never use so I started there. If there is too much fling I will go up in weight.

It just installed everything recently so I will report back when I've had more time with it. So far very pleased.
So how is your oiler doing now? I guess you've packed your bike up for the Winter, but that oiler is the price leader and looks simple too. You immediately said it does not leak, but after 1/2 year, does it still not leak?

I'll probably give it a try anyway, since I can't remember chain maintenance every 2 to 3 days while riding it every day. Any feedback would be great. But you have not posted since this last post, so you may be gone.

Great post any way!
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-23-2015, 10:23 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post
So how is your oiler doing now? I guess you've packed your bike up for the Winter, but that oiler is the price leader and looks simple too. You immediately said it does not leak, but after 1/2 year, does it still not leak?

I'll probably give it a try anyway, since I can't remember chain maintenance every 2 to 3 days while riding it every day. Any feedback would be great. But you have not posted since this last post, so you may be gone.

Great post any way!
the main problem i see with it is that you have to keep buying and replacing those lil pads....i find it easier to WD40 it when i fill up with gas (then you can gunk up there parking lot not your driveway ^_-

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-23-2015, 10:26 AM

Quote:
the main problem i see with it is that you have to keep buying and replacing those lil pads....i find it easier to WD40 it when i fill up with gas (then you can gunk up there parking lot not your driveway ^_-
Lol!
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-23-2015, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

Hi Kawdog. I'm still here. LOL. I really love the oiler. It still works very well and keeps the chain well oiled. There can be a bit of build up in and around the pad where it can collect road grime so it just needs a wipe down every now and then. I've not replaced a pad yet but I haven't gone the miles yet up to 5000 on it. I'm not sweating the replacement as that will be pretty easy. No leaks to speak of.

Oh and winter! As long as there's no snow or ice on the ground my ass is on the bike.

Anyone have some pull with a moderator? I'd love to change the thread title to the correct spelling of "Motobriiz."

Last edited by NJmongrel; 11-23-2015 at 10:53 AM.
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-23-2015, 04:09 PM

I've had the Motobriiz oiler on my bike for about 1,200 miles now and I'm very happy with its performance. I've just been using regular motor oil in it but that's a bit thin so I'll probably switch to the bar and chain oil I have in my shed. I can't see any wear at all on the pad and like NJmongrel I won't sweat changing it when it's time since it's easy to get at. The main selling point for me was that it's mechanical. Even though it's no big deal to tap into the wiring, why bother if you don't have to.

Last edited by scutrbrau; 11-24-2015 at 05:48 AM.
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-23-2015, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmongrel View Post
Hi Kawdog. I'm still here. LOL. I really love the oiler. It still works very well and keeps the chain well oiled. There can be a bit of build up in and around the pad where it can collect road grime so it just needs a wipe down every now and then. I've not replaced a pad yet but I haven't gone the miles yet up to 5000 on it. I'm not sweating the replacement as that will be pretty easy. No leaks to speak of.

Oh and winter! As long as there's no snow or ice on the ground my ass is on the bike.

Anyone have some pull with a moderator? I'd love to change the thread title to the correct spelling of "Motobriiz."
Thanks for replying! I was worried you were one of the new owners that got run over by these crazy multitaking car drivers. I almost pulled the trigger, but the pads got me thinking and the regular oil on the chain clinched it.

The owner or manager wrote me back and said gear oil would be best. I had a 71 and 72 Norton Commando, and gear oil stinks to high heaven and is a big mess all over the back end of the bike. I think it may be ok for non-rubber ring chains, but I just feel more confident with special chain lube formula for x-ring chains. Cheaper and cheaper new technology does not work with old methods sometimes, and I just don't want to take a chance. It was definitely the right price though!

Drive Safe!

And FastEddie or Kiwi can help you: one is on early shift and one on the later depending on what part of the world you are on!

Last edited by kawdog; 11-23-2015 at 06:36 PM.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 06:38 AM

I've had the same one on my bike for about 8000 miles. for me gear oil was too thick, but worked if thinned 50/50 with wd40.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-09-2015, 02:57 AM

Garage
GL5 gear lube stinks from the sulpher compounds that are part of the extreme pressure package. there is another gear oil usually called "syncro fluid" (or similar names) for trannys that have shims & sync rings made of brass. reason is, those compounds in GL5 eat yellow metals like brass & bronze

if I'm answering your question I assume the basic points have been addressed, such as: did you do a compression test? is it still on fire?
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-09-2015, 05:41 PM

Nice set-up!
I have never had a chain oiler and am therefore wondering if any oil splashes onto the rear swingarm, chain guard, etc. Does it?
Thanks!

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode