Calling Andymancam - front seat lift - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Calling Andymancam - front seat lift

Dear Andymancam

Please show us and the UK site too how to install the seat lift (on a 2012 preferably) including adjustments to the rear of the seat. Invader knows about it and may be able to help. This is something everyone needs: male or female.

Thanks Andymancam!!

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=11052

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...+modifications

Last edited by kawdog; 04-16-2015 at 03:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 01:58 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
raising the front of the seat

Make a 'bridge' piece out of scrap, add TWO longer bolts and several washers.

Raised the front of mine by 9/16".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg "bridge" copy.jpg (42.9 KB, 448 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00060 copy.jpg (65.3 KB, 392 views)

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Make a 'bridge' piece out of scrap, add TWO longer bolts and several washers.

Raised the front of mine by 9/16".
OK, now what about the rear or sides of seat/base to keep it from rocking and make sure it sits level and stable? I don't want to be wobbling down the road

THANKS!

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-18-2015, 06:31 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post
OK, now what about the rear or sides of seat/base to keep it from rocking and make sure it sits level and stable? I don't want to be wobbling down the road

THANKS!
At about 90,000 MILES between my two Vs, both w/ the seat fronts raised just after I bought them (new), NEITHER rocks or rattles!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00079 copy.jpg (72.3 KB, 391 views)
File Type: jpg seat rise1 copy.jpg (93.3 KB, 389 views)

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-18-2015, 07:57 PM

And my work here is done! Great work Fast Eddie!

I'll be doing this to my V ASAP. I'm tired of smashing my nuts into the tank!
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-18-2015, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
At about 90,000 MILES between my two Vs, both w/ the seat fronts raised just after I bought them (new), NEITHER rocks or rattles!

Cool! Thanks. I had just heard several people talk about it, and one said they balanced it out in the rear of the seat and put something on the sides. But they did not show any pics of the additions: just a pic of the seat lift similar to yours, Maybe the difference was the exact 5/16" height to maintain equilibrium: forward, aft, as well as sideways too.

Thanks a bunch. Now my 2 seat pads will hopefully quit rubbing up on my tank. It was fatiguing to always be leaning on my handlebars: making it a little like a crotch rocket effect on wrist, elbow, and shoulder stress pain.

** So the seat does not sag down in the center now that it is lifted up? **

Last edited by kawdog; 04-18-2015 at 08:41 PM.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-18-2015, 08:50 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andymancam View Post

then hug the tank with your legs more like your suppose to

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 08:13 AM

Garage
Quote:
Dear Andymancam

Please show us and the UK site too how to install the seat lift (on a 2012 preferably) including adjustments to the rear of the seat. Invader knows about it and may be able to help. This is something everyone needs: male or female.

Thanks Andymancam!!

Don't need it and don't want it. The seat has the perfect slope so that my back is aligned with my hips when riding. If I had a Corbin seat, I would need handlebar risers and a different peg position for my back to be correctly aligned with my hips.

If the front of the seat was higher, I would be sitting on my nuts when in the proper riding position, or would have to roll my hips back out of alignment with my spine.

My Versys Travels:

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Don't need it and don't want it. The seat has the perfect slope so that my back is aligned with my hips when riding. If I had a Corbin seat, I would need handlebar risers and a different peg position for my back to be correctly aligned with my hips.

If the front of the seat was higher, I would be sitting on my nuts when in the proper riding position, or would have to roll my hips back out of alignment with my spine.

http://cycle-ergo.com
(ergo's set: 1.25" riser
1.75" seat rise (1.5" for 2 small pads at front of seat and 0.25 for proposed front seat adjustment)
6'-0" rider w/32" inseam
sitting on the back of the seat, to stretch legs :-)

I disagree. It's complicated for every rider with seating height and controls reach. The main reason Jap bikes have the nut-slope into the tank is to accommodate more rider heights, EVEN if it makes ALL riders more uncomfortable. This is a key change to make the bike significantly more comfortable (for up to 1/3" higher seat height.) I'm hoping the base pan will flex and settle. Now it won't be like one continuous push-up riding.

Last edited by kawdog; 04-19-2015 at 03:00 PM.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 07:50 PM

Garage
Kawdog, I agree that you should make it your own. I don't agree with your use of the word all.
You are trying to group all of us together. I already own a couple of cruisers for when I want to cruise. I don't want to turn the Versys into a cruiser. It s a sport bike. You grip the tank with your knees and lean into the wind and into the curves.
On my custom designed seat, I kept the same slant as the stock seat. It works for me because I don't want risers. I even stand up a fair amount while riding the Versys, and see no need for risers.

My Versys Travels:

post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-20-2015, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andymancam View Post

I watched a couple of your install videos over the weekend. I have to hand it to you- they're well entertaining.

SPACE BLANKET

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 01:22 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
** So the seat does not sag down in the center now that it is lifted up? **
NOT in my 90,xxx miles on 'em...! (I'm about 200# 'suited-up'.)

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 03:28 PM

Cheers Space Blanket!

Glad you enjoyed my whitterings!
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 05:37 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
NOT in my 90,xxx miles on 'em...! (I'm about 200# 'suited-up'.)

Damn Skinny People.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-30-2015, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Dear Andymancam

Thanks Andymancam!!

Seems like the seat is only supported by the tab that is inserted into that raised piece. What do you do about the little blocks that originally sit on the black cross member? I can see how/why it would wobble, not enough support. I'm guessing the seat pan's tab is strong enough to support the riders weight. Why not raise the black cross member?
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 07:06 PM

That would raise the back of the tank? Also the cross member wouldn't be as stable if raised.
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator

Skypilot 69 - I have NEVER had a problem (now OVER 120,000 MILES among my three Vs), and last week a had a 230# friend ride pillion to a bike rental place. The seat was/ IS fine....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-26-2016, 11:09 PM

Garage
Didn't have the right peace of metal as others have shown, so I'd to improvise. Used 2 of the unused clamps of my SHAD top case carrier as well as some bolts and washers which I had over. Did a 210mi trip today and the seat is still fine. However, if I'd keep it for longer I'd have to find something to ensure they don't twist - but then it would be easier to just get a "onsie" instead.

It definitely helped reducing the slope, but I'm really looking forward getting the Seat Concept cover (hopefully tomorrow), which hopefully does a better job though...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160825_212443-1_1472270859414.jpg (50.6 KB, 153 views)
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 11:30 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
I decided to 3D print a special spacer that fits perfectly under the bracket. I designed it to give me 12mm (1/2") of lift in the front. It works pretty well, over 600 miles and has made a huge difference. My only issue is that the seat has somewhat of a gap on the sides, but it's hardly noticeable unless you know it's there. I can upload the 3d file if there is any interest.

silviefox likes this.

Check out my
!
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 01:01 PM
Super Moderator

Rawkstar320 - THAT piece you made up is a "thing of beauty"...! (Makes MINE look like a piece of crap...!)

GREAT work.

-

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode