Playing with Power Commander V and Autotune200 - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2015, 04:08 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Smile Playing with Power Commander V and Autotune200

So.... I have solved my low RPM stuttering, juddering, hesitant behavior.

I have had a Power Commander V, AutoTune 200 and Factor O2s sensor eliminator fitted for quite a while now to my 2012 Versys ABS with Cat exhaust.

Other mods I have fitted are an Leo Vince Underbody SBK exhaust and also a BMC Sports Filter.

I've been sick with the flu for the last week and spent some time on Sunday surfing YouTube videos on How to use a Power Commander, How to reduce exhaust popping, How to use AutoTune etc.
You are not given any instructions or tutorials - and hence setting up with a DynoTune is recommended.

I came away with some helpful insight and information... Basically I need to be playing with the AFR settings! I came away with more of an understanding and now what I can do to.

So on Easter Monday after lunch I hooked up the laptop and started playing with the AutoTune AFR Map.
The default AFR map has Zero's in the low rpm and %throttle ranges... THIS is my problem. Zero AFR value means PCV must use PCV fuel tables (which are set to zero) so then factory fueling is used and hence my crazy jerky ride.

A Zero AFR setting meant that AutoTune was not ON at that part of the AFR map, and this means it was not changing any of the values in Trim Map which works on top of the loaded PCV Fuel Map.

I changed the default Zero values for low RPM (1250 to 3500) in the 2 and 5% throttle columns to have a values between 13.8 and 13.4 and blend in with the rest of the default AFR map (The bike was showing AFR's of about 14.0 normally so adding a bit of fuel with a richer AFR was OK). You can do this while the bike is running and see the changes instantly on the computer real time AFR readings. By setting back to zero you can see and hear how AFR readings were affected by the small cruising throttle changes.

Great.

I also the added a little fuel at 1250 and 1500 on 0% throttle to help stop exhaust popping.

Took it for a 1 hour ride on Sunday - absolutely changed the bike.
I wish I thought of doing this sooner.

Went to work yesterday and the bike is soooo buttery smooth in low RPM's

YAY!!!!!

Last edited by Gigitt; 04-08-2015 at 04:29 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-07-2015, 01:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I'm interested to hear updates or other peoples experiences. I know little to nothing about Power Commanders (rarely had FI bikes in the past) but I'm curious.

Also I'm curious if anyone has experience replacing or removing the o2 sensor.

Ultimately, i feel like my bike could/should run better than it currently does. I have recently cleaned the air filter/spark plugs and sync'ed the throttle bodies, which helped but I still feel the power is both down on power and MPG. I average under 40mpg consistently (mostly city though)...

Thanks

2008 Versys 650

Been riding 8 or 9 years, and have owned 8 or 9 bikes; its an addiction I can't quit...
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-10-2015, 12:49 PM

Any changes on the overal fuel consumption after the meddling?

Current : Maroon 2011.
- Fender Extender - Radiator Guard - 19mm Nissin radial master - Nissin 4-pot caliper - SS brake lines - Osram Hyper 65W both low/high beam - LED 30w aux floodlights & 3w DRLs - Rear Hugger - Givi crash guards - Yoshimura TRC Carbon - Dynojet PC5 - Scottoiler - R1 shock with Ohlins 14.2 kg/mm spring - Imitation Givi Windshield - Rear Givi rack with 24ltr Givi top box - Bosch dual tones - Z800 stock mirrors.

Up next :
- Protaper SE ATV Low - PIAA Platinum low

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-10-2015, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
It's been good.
Hesitation removed.
fuel economy with 16T front sprocket on last fill with Sydney city commuting was 290 km indicated but reality would be 310km with 17lt. 43m/usg
Country riding last ride was about 47m/usg

I chasing to fix the ~3000 rpm hick-up at the moment.When taking off from stop when the rpm hit 3000 there is a power loss in the engine and it's not all the time... and not there at any other time while riding.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 06:01 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Fixed my issues... this morning I just reverted back an older Fuel Map I saved and today riding had zero issues. Happy commuter now.

something weird was going on.
With Autotune200 enabled the O2 sensor adjusts the fuel map with a +- Trim value from the AFR table that has AFR values at each cell block - basically if you have 13.2 AFR value then Autotune will add or remove fuel (the Trim) from the Fuel map to meet that AFR value. Periodically you can then accept Trim vales and the fuel Map will be updated with new values according to the +- Trim calculated.

If you start off with a Zero Map then after a week of riding you will have Trim values that you can save as new c alculated Fuel Map values... the more you ride the small the difference between Fuel and Trim values get, and you then get a more stable Map for your bike.

For some reason... Auto tune kept generating negative numbers in one Trim cell at 3000 rpm when accepting the Trims, my Fuel map was getting worse just at that cell.
15% throttle looked like +12 -75 +24, where -75 was at 3000 rpm!... so Yeah! this was cutting fuel as I was trying to accelerate!

Last edited by Gigitt; 07-14-2015 at 06:04 AM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigitt View Post
So.... I have solved my low RPM stuttering, juddering, hesitant behavior.

I have had a Power Commander V, AutoTune 200 and Factor O2s sensor eliminator fitted for quite a while now to my 2012 Versys ABS with Cat exhaust.

Other mods I have fitted are an Leo Vince Underbody SBK exhaust and also a BMC Sports Filter.

I've been sick with the flu for the last week and spent some time on Sunday surfing YouTube videos on How to use a Power Commander, How to reduce exhaust popping, How to use AutoTune etc.
You are not given any instructions or tutorials - and hence setting up with a DynoTune is recommended.

I came away with some helpful insight and information... Basically I need to be playing with the AFR settings! I came away with more of an understanding and now what I can do to.

So on Easter Monday after lunch I hooked up the laptop and started playing with the AutoTune AFR Map.
The default AFR map has Zero's in the low rpm and %throttle ranges... THIS is my problem. Zero AFR value means PCV must use PCV fuel tables (which are set to zero) so then factory fueling is used and hence my crazy jerky ride.

A Zero AFR setting meant that AutoTune was not ON at that part of the AFR map, and this means it was not changing any of the values in Trim Map which works on top of the loaded PCV Fuel Map.

I changed the default Zero values for low RPM (1250 to 3500) in the 2 and 5% throttle columns to have a values between 13.8 and 13.4 and blend in with the rest of the default AFR map (The bike was showing AFR's of about 14.0 normally so adding a bit of fuel with a richer AFR was OK). You can do this while the bike is running and see the changes instantly on the computer real time AFR readings. By setting back to zero you can see and hear how AFR readings were affected by the small cruising throttle changes.

Great.

I also the added a little fuel at 1250 and 1500 on 0% throttle to help stop exhaust popping.

Took it for a 1 hour ride on Sunday - absolutely changed the bike.
I wish I thought of doing this sooner.

Went to work yesterday and the bike is soooo buttery smooth in low RPM's

YAY!!!!!

Great to hear. I am contemplating doing this myself on the V1K. I reckon that will negate the modes as the A/T unit looks to target the preset A/F ratio rather than the open loop map settings. For a smooth throttle response, that I can live with. Bet it improved your midrange too. I know the PC I added on my FJR to smooth its jerky throttle had a nice & audible improvement in the midrange. Generally, bikes run okay on the top of the rpm range as they aren't tested for emissions there and are set to run with the lower AFRs like you are using, straight from the factory.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigitt View Post
Fixed my issues... this morning I just reverted back an older Fuel Map I saved and today riding had zero issues. Happy commuter now.

something weird was going on.
With Autotune200 enabled the O2 sensor adjusts the fuel map with a +- Trim value from the AFR table that has AFR values at each cell block - basically if you have 13.2 AFR value then Autotune will add or remove fuel (the Trim) from the Fuel map to meet that AFR value. Periodically you can then accept Trim vales and the fuel Map will be updated with new values according to the +- Trim calculated.

If you start off with a Zero Map then after a week of riding you will have Trim values that you can save as new c alculated Fuel Map values... the more you ride the small the difference between Fuel and Trim values get, and you then get a more stable Map for your bike.

For some reason... Auto tune kept generating negative numbers in one Trim cell at 3000 rpm when accepting the Trims, my Fuel map was getting worse just at that cell.
15% throttle looked like +12 -75 +24, where -75 was at 3000 rpm!... so Yeah! this was cutting fuel as I was trying to accelerate!
You should contact Dynojet and let them know. Surely that is a software bug that could/should be easily and quickly fixed.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewhtf View Post
Any changes on the overal fuel consumption after the meddling?
Honestly I'm not sure. I played around with the sync again this weekend (Set sync level around 3k rpm) I noticed at low rpm my left cylinder has higher vacuum and at higher rpm my right cylinder has higher vacuum. So basically I tried to find a happy medium across the RPMs.

I always loosened and re-torqued the engine mounts and pulled my gauge cluster apart to eliminate internal rattles...

I vibrating engine is one thing, but when couple with tons of buzzing plastic it becomes intolerable! haha

Anyway as of now the bike is running good, I do notice some intake popping around 3 rpm when trying to hold the throttle steady.. a Lean issue maybe?

I guess I'm interested in the Power Commander partially just to observe and play around with fuel mixture settings.

Do you essentially install the Power Commander along with the stock ECU? (I mean I should/could just Google this i guess )

2008 Versys 650

Been riding 8 or 9 years, and have owned 8 or 9 bikes; its an addiction I can't quit...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode