Alguard Skid Plate? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-05-2015, 12:24 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Alguard Skid Plate?

i'd love to get my hands on an Alguard engine skid plate, if anyone has one they would part with.

I await your pm with bated breath, and cold hard cash....

justanotherider

When life throws you a curve, lean into it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-05-2015, 05:06 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
FWIW - I (and others) like the SW-Motech skid-plate.

Here it is, all dirty

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-05-2015, 06:08 PM

Even with popular big 4 Jap bikes, you go with what's available made for the bike. I've seen one expensive skid plate, but Vs. 650 is a street bike for most people. There are a couple of dual purpose riders and one is even for sale here. I think other than SW, Hepco Becker (HB) is the most popular engine guard since it also covers the radiator too.

I also have a SW centerstand and it has a wide steel bar across the bottom of the engine which may act as a mini-skid plate. It is added to increase strength in materials to lift the bike up at the centerstand point. I also put my Redlight magnet on it near the street to help recognize me at redlights: for the most part it works with the $20 magnet part.

When I saw your post, I did not know what you were selling and still don't. If you find it, post it so we can all see. SW may make a skid plate for it. Good luck.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-05-2015, 08:05 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post
There are a couple of dual purpose riders I think there may be more than a couple of US
When I saw your post, I did not know what you were selling and still don't. If you find it, post it so we can all see.
I don't think he is selling anything, he is looking for something.

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
FWIW - I (and others) like the SW-Motech skid-plate.

Here it is, all dirty

Now thats a Versys that is living up to its name!

I'm no diplomat
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 04:30 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka Yamadog View Post
Right now it's ALMOST clean tho'....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
your depth of knowledge is on exhibit right here...
Why, what do you know about the Alguard engine skid plate? I wanted to see what the OP was asking about, even though I do not ride off road: i quit that when I got my drivers license.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 11:33 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I had an Algard Engine Guard..It was a nice piece for highway,light gravel roads but if i was out slamming down on big rocks i would go for the one fasteddie has. Forum member Tinner made some almost identical to the Algard.

IMG_0089 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 11:59 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by aka Yamadog View Post
There are a few of us that push ours to live up to the name. Here is a shot of mine not too far from where Eddie's photo was taken. Just a few years later.

We need to set up a meeting time and place in Dawson City...

There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
I had an Algard Engine Guard..It was a nice piece for highway,light gravel roads but if i was out slamming down on big rocks i would go for the one fasteddie has. Forum member Tinner made some almost identical to the Algard.

IMG_0089 by weljo2001, on Flickr
Thanks Joe for improving my depth of knowledge on exhibit. Lol, I knew a sales pitch when I saw it...

Thanks Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherider View Post

I await your pm with bated breath, and cold hard cash....
:-O

Last edited by kawdog; 04-07-2015 at 01:46 AM.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 03:24 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post
Thanks Joe for improving my depth of knowledge on exhibit. Lol, I knew a sales pitch when I saw it...

Thanks Again!

:-O

Anytime...

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 07:07 AM

The way I read it, justanotherider will give someone cash for their Algard plate. Sounds more like a Want-to-buy post than a sales pitch to me.

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaJeff View Post
There are a few of us that push ours to live up to the name. Here is a shot of mine not too far from where Eddie's photo was taken. Just a few years later.

We need to set up a meeting time and place in Dawson City...

Where did you get the extra cowling that is right below the red on your bike?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 06:35 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
...We need to set up a meeting time and place in Dawson City....
Nothing's "in stone" YET, but I expect I'll hit Dawson BY the 17th (and I plan on the steak dinner......)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarleau View Post
You were packed heavy Ed. So far so good with the subframe? I say this because I sheared off a subframe bolt last year and I was packed much lighter than you are.

Was this the trip that you locked up the front wheel riding dirt/gravel?
So far my sub-frame bolts are all good. That load weighed about 20 pounds for the red duffel - tent, sleeping bag and mat - PLUS saddle-bags, and a half-gallon of gas.

My recollection is that the ONLY time I locked-up my front wheel was on pavement, on AZ 87 between Coolidge and Florence, AZ when I was NOT paying attention, looked up and the line-of-traffic was stopped. Left somewhere around five feet of rubber (... and we will NOT talk about what ELSE I left......).

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 08:13 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by E327 View Post
Where did you get the extra cowling that is right below the red on your bike?

From a member here "Hoghead" in Thailand, The beak too Robert does quality work.

2011 ADVersys

post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 11:56 PM

Quote:
From a member here "Hoghead" in Thailand, The beak too Robert does quality work.

Thanks!

post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-09-2015, 08:37 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I have an Algard and just had it media blasted and powder-coated with some other parts. Seems robust enough for me, and looks good with the stock lower plastics. I didn't realize they were extinct or rare till total strangers asked if I would sell it... (it came on my bike used).

Does the Motech version offer enough of a flat spot to get a cycle jack under it? I miss that about the KLR.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-10-2015, 05:42 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by unstable_rider View Post
...Does the Motech version offer enough of a flat spot to get a cycle jack under it? I miss that about the KLR.
Yes - at least it has enough to use a car-jack underneath (I have those "pump-up" jacks that you swing the handle to pump), but I ONLY do that when I need to, then I try to be ULTRA-CAREFUL to NOT drop the bike off the side.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode