Who has short levers and what do you think of them? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-30-2015, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Who has short levers and what do you think of them?

My very first mod will be levers. I am a two finger shift and brake guy and I hate having to whole lever there. I used Pazzo on my ZX6R. I loved them, but no the associated price tag ($150)

What shorties do you guys have and what do you think of them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-30-2015, 03:47 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Had short levers on the 09 Versys. Loved them they were the chinese cheapies off ebay. Worked great,color never faded...

IMG_3102 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-30-2015, 05:42 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulff81 View Post
My very first mod will be levers. I am a two finger shift and brake guy and I hate having to whole lever there. I used Pazzo on my ZX6R. I loved them, but no the associated price tag ($150)

What shorties do you guys have and what do you think of them?
Just saying the difference between real Pazzo levers and the ebay knock offs is like the difference between a real Rolex and a Rolex look alike. They both look identical from a distance but that is where the similarity ends.

Pazzo levers are designed and manufactured in Canada from 6061 T6 billet aluminum that is anodized and hardened. They are designed to withstand crashes and resist corrosion from road salt. They also have been specifically designed for different bike models like a pre 09 Versys and post 09 Versys (Kawasaki changed the brake reservoir in 09). They also have excellent warranty coverage and customer service.

The cheap look alike levers you see on Ebay are manufactured in China to a much lower quality standard and from cheaper materials. They are also marketed as universal fit. They don't have the same fitment (many simply will not fit or do not fit as well), are not ergonomically designed, and will usually corrode with only a few exposures to road salt.

http://www.pazzoracing.com/build_step1.html

Last edited by twowheels; 03-30-2015 at 06:29 PM.

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-30-2015, 09:02 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
i have factory levers chopped down ..... didnt cost a dime

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-31-2015, 12:07 AM

I've got the same EBay levers Joe had. Fit and finish are remarkably good I think. I'd certainly buy another pair if the occasion arises.

IBA 12512
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-31-2015, 12:16 AM

I have EBay knock offs shorty levers on my V and Ducati.
I have seen these levers side by side with Pazzo for my Ducati and could not tell a difference.
All anodized aluminum levers Color will fade eventually.
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-31-2015, 07:47 AM

I've got a pair of ebay shorty levers on my Street Triple. The quality seems to be pretty good and they work so I'm happy with them.

2013 Kawasaki Versys, 2012 BMW K1600 GTL, 2013 Triumph Street Triple R, 2006 HD Electra Glide Classic
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-31-2015, 09:27 AM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Folding-Exte...9da17d&vxp=mtr

Are these any good? I have thought about new levers, but remember reading a thread on here a long time ago about never cheaping out on them. The "folding" part is what worries me. I know this may sound crazy but I would like the adjustable levers as I like a short brake lever, but would rather a long clutch to reduce fatigue in traffic situations. thoughts?

- Ian Thomas
2013 Versys
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-31-2015, 09:57 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanThomas View Post
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Folding-Exte...9da17d&vxp=mtr

Are these any good? I have thought about new levers, but remember reading a thread on here a long time ago about never cheaping out on them. The "folding" part is what worries me. I know this may sound crazy but I would like the adjustable levers as I like a short brake lever, but would rather a long clutch to reduce fatigue in traffic situations. thoughts?
i again say save your money .....
grip your stock levers.
pull them in how you would if riding.
mark them a couple inches past your fingers
use cut off wheel of hack-saw and cut on mark
there adjustable, are shorter, and you KNOW they fit and are shimmed right

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-31-2015, 10:15 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
If you're going to purchase, I'd recommend sticking with a name brand like Pazzo, CRG, ASV. While some have had good luck with the Chinese knock - offs, I've heard too many instances of them not fully releasing, causing the brakes to overheat and lock up
Personally, my preference would also be to not cut down the stock levers. That removes the ball on the end, which is there for a reason. My 2 cents.
post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-31-2015, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

Garage
One thing I liked about aftermarket levers is the adjust on the fly capability. I am that guy that seems to have to fiddle with everything... almost all the time. I don't really have anything to lose by trying a cut off wheel, except a little spare cash from selling the stock levers online after the fact.
I have also heard (clearly here) good and bad about knock-offs. I don't mind spending the cash for a good set of Pazzo, but if the cheaper option levers work...
Does anyone know if the 2015 perches are the same as the 2014?
post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-31-2015, 12:51 PM

No-cost method for short levers

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
i again say save your money .....
grip your stock levers.
pull them in how you would if riding.
mark them a couple inches past your fingers
use cut off wheel of hack-saw and cut on mark
there adjustable, are shorter, and you KNOW they fit and are shimmed right
I have a much simpler method that I perfected last week.
* Buy a brand new V and ride home
* Put the sidestand down in a divot in your driveway and start to dismount
* As you realize the bike is falling and you need to catch it, put your foot in the last remaining patch of snow.

The above steps will give you give you a short clutch lever in no time. Repeat on the right side if desired.
post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-31-2015, 01:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
^^^LOL, that sucks.
post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-31-2015, 01:15 PM

phasechange.

- Ian Thomas
2013 Versys
post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-31-2015, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGalToo View Post
^^^LOL, that sucks.
Well, just before I left the dealer I DID say (albeit jokingly) "I'll be glad when I get the first drop out of the way."

post #16 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-31-2015, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Had short levers on the 09 Versys. Loved them they were the chinese cheapies off ebay. Worked great,color never faded...

IMG_3102 by weljo2001, on Flickr
Joe - I THINK I have the same set (bought from an inmate here, but NOT mounted yet). Did you have any problems installing the right (front-brake side) one?

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #17 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-31-2015, 01:34 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Joe - I THINK I have the same set (bought from an inmate here, but NOT mounted yet). Did you have any problems installing the right (front-brake side) one?
Nope went on super simple. I believe there is a spring on the brake side so be careful not to loose it. But its been a long time ago so I'm only 80% sure about the spring.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #18 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-31-2015, 02:05 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I have those same levers, but different color. They still look the same after 3-4 years.

From what I remember the brake went on super easy. The clutch was a tad harder, but still easy enough. No grinding shimming or anything required to install.

I cant bring myself to pay Pazzo $ when these work great.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #19 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-31-2015, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Oh man, Phasechange! That sucks so bad! I hope your lever was the only think to take a hit!
post #20 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 09:26 AM

I've had cheap levers on my bike for 4 years with no problem but the typical Color fade.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode