Kenda k270 on the V ? Anyone tried? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-23-2015, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Kenda k270 on the V ? Anyone tried?

Hey everybody,
I know the subject had been explored and written up and the forum but I could'nt find what I was looking for. I did a lot of research about dual sport tires that would fit the V. I know there is very limited options for the standard versys wheel sizes.
I saw the option of installing 130/80-17 rear tire on the front but I am afraid of the riding feeling of that setup.
My question is: Did anybody ever installed kendas K270 on the versys? I know they are bias plys tires and that they are not the original sizes but I am wondering if that would fit the rim nicely or not. I had these tires on my '04 KLR and I really loved them.
Sizes that I am thinking of are: 3.25-17 amd 510-17

The other possible option that I am looking into is fitting a 120/90-17 on the front (another tire model)

Thanks alot for your help and sorry for my english!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-24-2015, 01:00 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
I ran them and the Shinko 244s on my XR600 and they were GREAT all around tires. Do they make the K270 in tubeless? I believe they are all tube type. As far as adventure tires for the V there ARE quite a few choices out there: Heidenau K60, TKC 80, Mitas E-07, Kenda 705 & 784 Big Block Shinko 700, among others. You just have to look around.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-24-2015, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaJeff View Post
I ran them and the Shinko 244s on my XR600 and they were GREAT all around tires. Do they make the K270 in tubeless? I believe they are all tube type. As far as adventure tires for the V there ARE quite a few choices out there: Heidenau K60, TKC 80, Mitas E-07, Kenda 705 & 784 Big Block Shinko 700, among others. You just have to look around.
Before I wrote this tread, I did my research. The only one in the list that you gave fits the Versys: The TKC 80. The other tires are all unavailable in the versys size for the front tire. By Kenda 705 I guess you mean the Shinko 705, which self destructs itself on the highway according to alot of people on the forum. I dont mind having a bigger diameter tire on the front (120/90-17 for example) but I dont like the idea of a huge large rear tire intalled on the front. + The rear tire of some models like the K60 is way different than the front one, which could be dangerous on wet pavement..

So that's why I am still wondering what are the possibilities for a good dual sport tire on the versys.

I found an old K270 in my garage this morning and I really doubt this could fit the rims of the versys (3.5'' and 4.5'')

Any ideas??
Thanks guys

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-24-2015, 05:58 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonin View Post
Hey everybody,
I know the subject had been explored and written up and the forum but I could'nt find what I was looking for. I did a lot of research about dual sport tires that would fit the V. I know there is very limited options for the standard versys wheel sizes.
I saw the option of installing 130/80-17 rear tire on the front but I am afraid of the riding feeling of that setup.
My question is: Did anybody ever installed kendas K270 on the versys? I know they are bias plys tires and that they are not the original sizes but I am wondering if that would fit the rim nicely or not. I had these tires on my '04 KLR and I really loved them.
Sizes that I am thinking of are: 3.25-17 amd 510-17

The other possible option that I am looking into is fitting a 120/90-17 on the front (another tire model)

Thanks alot for your help and sorry for my english!
The K270 require a tube.

When I put the 130/80 Tourance on my front (after raising the fender about 1.5"), then went for a ride, INITIALLY it felt like it would NOT turn, but by 100 miles I no longer even noticed it...!

A fellow in S. America - Gary - got 36,000 miles w/ a Tourance 130/80 on the front of HIS V, and FWIW, here's a pic of the Tourances I pulled off to put knobbies on for a ride in November.

On the left is the 130/80 w/ OVER 18,000 miles, while the right 150/70 has around 4,200 miles.

Here's a TKC80 120/70

and a BIG BLOCK 150/70

which are still "going strong" and will stay on till there're worn out....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-24-2015, 07:04 PM

Garage
Eddie- Does the front fender 'need' to be raised for that TKC 80 or will it fit?

Dave
1983 Honda XL600R / M-6
2015 Ducati Scrambler Urban Enduro / M-10
2017 Versys X300 / M-12
1966 Honda CT90

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-24-2015, 08:30 PM

He's mentioned before that it doesn't need to be raised, but I'm thinking I would like to raise mine anyway. Where did you get the brackets to raise it? Self made? Unlike some of you I don't have a metal work shop in my garage (actually I don't even have a garage!) though I may be able to twist a friends arm to help.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallCrawl View Post
Eddie- Does the front fender 'need' to be raised for that TKC 80 or will it fit?
No, it fits w/out raising, but raising gives more latitude for mud NOT 'packing in' and stopping your front wheel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alba View Post
He's mentioned before that it doesn't need to be raised, but I'm thinking I would like to raise mine anyway. Where did you get the brackets to raise it? Self made? Unlike some of you I don't have a metal work shop in my garage (actually I don't even have a garage!) though I may be able to twist a friends arm to help.
Try SEARCH. I started a thread called (I believe...) "RAISING the front fender" w/ pics and diagrams. Here's the thread:
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=18297

BTW - here's what those two knobbies look like after 6,289 miles.

FWIW - I run 36 psi front, 42 psi rear.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 03-25-2015 at 12:14 PM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 05:03 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
No, it fits w/out raising, but raising gives more latitude for mud NOT 'packing in' and stopping your front wheel.

Try SEARCH. I started a thread called (I believe...) "RAISING the front fender" w/ pics and diagrams. Here's the thread:
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=18297

BTW - here's what those two knobbies look like after 6,289 miles.

FWIW - I run 36 psi front, 42 psi rear.
Ahoy Eddie, I have faith it isn't so, but your V looks like it's PINK!!

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-26-2015, 02:28 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonin View Post
Before I wrote this tread, I did my research. The only one in the list that you gave fits the Versys: The TKC 80. The other tires are all unavailable in the versys size for the front tire. By Kenda 705 I guess you mean the Shinko 705, which self destructs itself on the highway according to alot of people on the forum. I dont mind having a bigger diameter tire on the front (120/90-17 for example) but I dont like the idea of a huge large rear tire intalled on the front. + The rear tire of some models like the K60 is way different than the front one, which could be dangerous on wet pavement..

So that's why I am still wondering what are the possibilities for a good dual sport tire on the versys.

I found an old K270 in my garage this morning and I really doubt this could fit the rims of the versys (3.5'' and 4.5'')

Any ideas?? IT'S A TUBE TIRE, WON'T WORK.
Thanks guys
Yeah the Shinko (oops) 705's HAD some issues before they went to a radial design but the newer versions are solid. I too read about their earlier delaminating problems. As I stated before the TKC80 is a GREAT tire for the front, and does come in stock size. You won't be disappointed. They work awesome in the rear as well, just don't last that long IF you are an aggressive rider. You were not very specific that you only wanted FRONT tire choices in your original post. Hope we've helped you narrow down some options.

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-27-2015, 03:51 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
Ahoy Eddie, I have faith it isn't so, but your V looks like it's PINK!!
Arion - it AIN'T..., but if you go to a rodeo during "Breast Cancer Awareness" campaigns, you'll see that REAL men wear pink...!

-

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-28-2015, 12:43 PM
Super Moderator

At risk of re-posting, here's what I run NORMALLY on both my Vs

That's a 130/80x17 Metzler Tourance (rear) for the front on the left w/ OVER 18,xxx miles, and a 150/70x17 (rear) on the right for the rear. And here's a pic of the 130/80 mounted w/ the raised fender.

Here are TWO pics of my '09 'wearing' those Metzlers SOMEWHERE up N.

Is THAT "dual-sporty" enuff...?

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2015, 04:27 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarleau View Post
...I like the tire you are running. That tire is the sort of tire I want in 120/70-17, or something like a 110/90-17 (Harder Compound, Heavy Carcass, Puncture Resistant)
The TKC80 that's on the front of my AZ bike is a 120/70. I didn't notice much (if any) difference from the 130/80 in terms of turn-in, moving around parking lots, etc, and when I returned to BC and got riding the GREEN HORNET w/ its 130/80 Tourance..., I really had NO "transition" period, getting used to the larger front rubber.

I'm happy running these, and the front 130/80 lasts FOREVER....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode