Any leads on ss brake lines for 2012 Vs. 650? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 11:18 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Any leads on ss brake lines for 2012 Vs. 650?

On the front, I've got the 1-1/4" riser and a centerstand on the rear, so I'd prefer lines a couple of inches longer than stock (and preferably not Galfer, please.)

EBC copper double H pads and ss lines should help the lane-splitting brake blues.

Joe needs to video a typical day of lane splitting in fast forward in LA, CA. You talk about nerve racking. People put their brake lights on and swerve towards you from both sides: SOB's!

It really does make you afraid to blink while you are lane-splitting!!

Last edited by kawdog; 03-18-2015 at 11:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 12:33 AM

Garage
http://bandbcyclerestoration.com/Home_Page.html

Call or email Bill Blue, absolutely 1st class work.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 12:53 AM

Core-moto
Call him has many options great price too.
http://www.coremoto.com/Core_Moto_Pe...ines_s/306.htm

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 10:49 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
I installed Gaffer SS lines last fall. The difference they make in brake feel is noticable but not that significant and not nearly as noticeable as a pad change to EBC HH pads. The EBC HH pads are less grabby and more linear in their application of braking force, making them easier to modulate during hard braking and not risk accidental wheel lockup.

Last edited by twowheels; 03-23-2015 at 09:05 AM.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 12:40 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post

Joe needs to video a typical day of lane splitting in fast forward in LA, CA. You talk about nerve racking. People put their brake lights on and swerve towards you from both sides: SOB's!

It really does make you afraid to blink while you are lane-splitting!!

Already Did....It gets good starting at 1:46....

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

Last edited by weljo2001; 04-20-2015 at 02:47 PM.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
I installed SS lines last fall. Not really much difference in brake feel; pads made a much bigger difference.

Ebc hh pads offered a bigger improvement.
Thanks! That makes it easier all the way around. All the options for ss lines makes my head spin just thinking about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Already Did....Its get good starting at 1:46....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NzTWnQ_u5o
I thought you may have with all the videos you make. Lane splitting is not for the weak of heart or for people who blink a lot.

Last edited by kawdog; 03-19-2015 at 12:53 PM.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 12:57 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
I installed SS lines last fall. Not really much difference in brake feel; pads made a much bigger difference.

Ebc hh pads offered a bigger improvement.
I put Galfer SS brake lines on my '08 last November (co-incidental w/ bleeding the brakes, of course), TWO for the front, one for the rear.

I'd updated the brake master cylinder to the later one (from an '09 Ninja 650...?) some years back, and that REALLY improved the front brakes, but the Galfer lines REALLY REALLY improved them! What I had NOT expected, was that the SS rear line REALLY improved the feel of the rear brakes, and I would heartily recommend changing to the rear SS line!

So far (57,xxx miles) I'm STILL on the original brake pads, but EBC HH will be the ones... WHENEVER...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 07:55 PM

Contact a local hydraulic shop to fab a set of custom lines.

I had a local shop fab a set of front longer than stock SS lines a couple of years ago for $45 for the pair.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 01:21 PM
djg

On other bikes I have owned without a dedicated kit available, I ordered Goodridge lines from Dennis Kirk. They are available in many lengths. A bit pricey these days.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 09:37 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I think Spiegler may do custom lines as well.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 10:15 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Heres where i got mine....http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...lines&_sacat=0

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-29-2015, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I put Galfer SS brake lines on my '08 last November (co-incidental w/ bleeding the brakes, of course), TWO for the front, one for the rear.

I'd updated the brake master cylinder to the later one (from an '09 Ninja 650...?) some years back, and that REALLY improved the front brakes, but the Galfer lines REALLY REALLY improved them! What I had NOT expected, was that the SS rear line REALLY improved the feel of the rear brakes, and I would heartily recommend changing to the rear SS line!

So far (57,xxx miles) I'm STILL on the original brake pads, but EBC HH will be the ones... WHENEVER...!

This morning on wet roads, I was reluctant to use the front brakes and just programmed myself for rear wheel braking only. It was cold too and had a fright when the bike headed towards the rear of a car without any signs of slowing down. A blip on the front levers, some counter steering, and I was out of danger. The rest of the journey had me pedalling the rear brakes to warm it up even on an open road.

Now, can we have upgraded master pump for the rear, apart from the SS hose ? I'm not too keen on aftermarket pads as they seem to wear off the rotors earlier and the working temp might be different too (higher maybe ?)
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2015, 01:47 PM

Garage
I went with CoreMoto stock +3" in the front. They seem to be just right with not too much extra.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode