New tires, wow, very impressive!!! - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
New tires, wow, very impressive!!!

What's up all?
So yesterday I finally got my new tires slapped on, after a week long wait to get them in. The tires I chose are Continental Road attacks, here's a link if you wanna check em out...
http://www.continental.de/generator/...attack_en.html
If you type Conti Road Attack into google, you will get a couple of good reviews from other folks, specifically from VFR world and Canyon Chasers.
Initially I was attracted to the unique look of these tires, but being a rather aggressive rider, needed to find out if they worked well. After reading a couple of reviews from folks who seemed like they could ride at least as well and probably better than me, I decided to go with them. Mine were paid for as part of a prepaid maintenance program, but the cost for the dealer was around $138 for the rear, and $118 for the front.
Now that I've filled you in on all the boring stuff, let me tell you how they work.
In a word, phenomenal!
Upon first sitting on the bike, the bars seemed a bit heavier to move, I assume partially due to the fact that these tires are a bit grippier. Pulling away, the heavy feeling continued, which was a bit of a surprise to me, after the reviews I read, I expected uber quickness out of them....read on. Much like another review, I noticed much better shock absorption from these tires, they make the bike far less bouncy (I have my suspension set pretty heavy on the preload) and transmit far less road nastiness to me. I read this is due to the heavy construction of these tires, makes sense. So off to the supreme pretzel works of on and off ramps of the area to get them scrubbed in a bit. First one, good, no traffic, and Holy f*****g s**t!!! These things tip in well, and once you get them in, they stay where you put them. I felt like I could drag my peg and wave with one hand, no problem!!! These tires are VERY stable, the complete opposite of those trash Dunlops (I've hated Dunlop ever since I found out how rancid they made my YZF feel). On this bike and on my YZF, the Dunlops made my bike feel nervous and hard to control. The Contis take some getting used to after coming off the Ds, as instead of fighting to keep the bike on a line, you have to learn to get them where you want them, and then just let the bike follow your line. If you need to change it a bit, no problem, a bit o' love on the bars, or a little body english, and pow, corrections made!!! Whereas I felt like I had to remain very still and keep very light on the bars with the Ds to avoid upsetting the bike mid corner, the Contis are stable enough for you to make corrections without the bike wobbling about, and still feel very responsive. Then off to the local mountain passes and highways...Several times I found myself initially going deeper into a corner than needed, as the bike just goes down so easily now. The grip on these things is amazing, I had the Ds for about 6k miles, and still had chicken strips (albeit tiny ones) on them!!! These took 50 miles to get edge to edge (barely) and 60 for me to scrape a peg!!! Not that I would recommend this as an intelligent scrub in practice... I've gotten about 200 miles on them and will report back on how they wear if anyone is interested. As usual, here's some pics for ya to oogle!
Fukken cheers,
Erik!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg new rubber 001.jpg (208.6 KB, 367 views)
File Type: jpg new rubber 002.jpg (195.6 KB, 310 views)
File Type: jpg new rubber 003.jpg (210.2 KB, 403 views)
File Type: jpg new rubber 004.jpg (233.7 KB, 353 views)

Last edited by Motodevil; 07-13-2008 at 02:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 12:17 PM

Thanks for the report!

Graham

To do is to be. -Descartes
To be is to do. -Voltaire
Do be do be do. -Frank Sinatra

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

States I've ridden in so far

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 03:04 PM

Good info to have. I swore I would never have a set of Continental tires after the miserable performance I had with a set of ContiTrac's on my old Bronco. But it sounds like they can at least make a good motorcycle tire.

Corey

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 08:57 PM

Awesome looking tires, and a great write-up. Will file this away.
p.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 05:16 AM

After your write up I'm interested in these. Have you tried them on wet roads yet? And please keep us updated on how they wear.
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 04:15 AM Thread Starter

Several hundred mile follow up...

Went for a big and heavily aggressive ride today, and learned a few things...
1. I am now comfortable dragging my pegs on the ground.
2. These tires grip like a vise right up to the edge.
3. The "edge" happens not to far after pegs are firmly dragging.
3.5 Skipping can occur when traction is on the way out.
4. The tires regain grip quickly with proper throttle application. *whew*
5. R-1's can lean A LOT further than V.'s *DAMN*
6. Riding corners supermoto style with leg out and up near yer mirror is pretty damn fun, and actually gives a bit o' confidence.
As for the wet handling, I have gotten in the rain in the twisties with them a bit now, and they seem to hold pretty well, although to be honest, my usually aggressive behaviour tames down quite a bit in the wet. Never been too sure about how much I can push it in rain, and not really interested in finding out!!!
I will report on wear after about 2500 miles or so, when I can make a better judgement.
Fukken cheers,
Erik!!!
P.S. One more thing to add to your pre-ride checklist...I noticed my left footpeg loosened up a bit on my ride today, don't want that guy falling off!

Last edited by Motodevil; 07-17-2008 at 04:21 AM.
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 08:13 AM

Moto,
Maybe you dragged the left peg a bit too much???

Bill

Versys
F650GSD
FLSTSCI
XR650L
Tri Scrambler
XR50
SRX600
Zuma 125
T100R
Aero 50
EZ90
PA50
States by MC

post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 02:02 PM

The conti's sound pretty good. Keep giving the reviews. I don't think that I'm as aggressive a rider as you, but it's nice to know what your tires are capable of handling.
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 02:15 PM

Are you running factory suggested tire pressures?

In the Honda ST (Sport Touring) community, discovered that the bike handled much better and tire wear improved when we boosted the tire pressure over recommended by the OEM. I personally run 42 front and 46 rear all the time now. The Honda ST1100 is a heavy pig at parking lot speeds but handles waaaaaaaaaaay better at speed

With the Versys weighing so much less, a little experimentation with tire pressures might reduce the "heavy feeling" you experienced.

Red
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Thanks red, I saw something about that on the VFR forums as well, I am planning to up the pressures today actually, now that I have had a chance to see how they are with stock pressure. Will mos def report here how they feel then.
As far as the aggression level goes, remember folks that these are the least aggressive in the Attack line-up. There are also Sport Attacks, Race Attacks, and Race Attack rain (NHS).
Tat, can you drag a peg TOO much?!?!
Fukken cheers,
Erik!!!
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 03:37 PM

Send a message via AIM to golfmuch
Hooligan, Do you post on the KLR forum?[/QUOTE]
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-27-2008, 04:59 PM
JAS

Tires

Has anyone had any experience with Scorpion sync's. I have been kind of leaning in that direction but have no personal experiece with them.
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-27-2008, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAS View Post
Has anyone had any experience with Scorpion sync's. I have been kind of leaning in that direction but have no personal experiece with them.
I have a little over 500 miles on my syncs and I love them. Great handling tires. Much more confidence inspiring than the stockers. No chicken strips on my syncs now.
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 01:13 AM Thread Starter

I was considering getting a set of the Scorpions for the winter time... Not that they are gonna be good snow tires, but surely better in such an emergency than the Conti's! Baddone, how is the turn in and the cornering stability? These are two of my biggest concerns, especially after finding a tire I like so much as the Conti's! With no chicken strips they must be far better than those damn Dunflops!!!
Fukken cheers,
Erik!!!
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 07:44 PM

Turn in is very precise and stability is rock solid. With the suspension tuned and the Syncs rolling the V is one stable platform and more capeable than me....... for now.
post #16 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 02:03 PM
JAS

Scorpion sync's

All,

How are the sync's on gravel and sand?
post #17 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-03-2008, 01:43 PM

I had a set of these on my Honda ST1300 and after one trip to ride the "3 sister" in the hill country of Texas, the sides were worn out so the tires took on the Shape of a V rather than an oval. After that, the bike was especially hard to control, especially at high speed as the sharp V angle seemed to catch on every uneven road surface and tended to try and track on their own. I still had over half the tread on the center of the tires, but the edges were gone. The road surfaces in the Hill Country are known to eat tires and they certainly did these. When new they were great, but I think they don't have much of a live on the heavier bikes. I replaced them with the new Dunlap Streetsmarts and we'll see what happens.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
post #18 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-25-2008, 02:50 AM Thread Starter

Few thousand mile update...

Alright, I've now got about 11,100 miles on the V. and about 5000 on the Conti's. They seem to be wearing fairly well, (better than anything I put on My YZF 600) and look like they will last about another 1000 miles. The front and rear are wearing fairly evenly. I do a lot of stoppies and quite a few wheelies. The rear has got a fairly large flat spot in the center, due no doubt to my wheelying and long largely straight commute. The fronts have some weird wear on them with the rear of some of the blocks seeming to be going faster than the front. I assume this is due to the stoppies, and does not really seem to have any ill effect on the ride. I will get a couple of pics up if anyone is interested... I have pretty much decided these will be replaced with Pirelli Scorpion Syncs, and should have them on in the next month or two.
Aus,
Erik!!!
post #19 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-25-2008, 07:06 AM

I had a pair of the Conti Road Attacks on my ST1300 and got very poor mileage out of them. I had to change them after about 3K miles. The edges wore off quickly while the center still had some tread at 3K miles. I can attribute most of this I believe to riding the "3 Sisters" in the Hill country for a couple of days. The pavement on these roads is that hard, big gravel, embedding in the tar and makes for a VERY rough surface. The ST1300 weighs in over 700 lbs and is very hard on tires when riding aggressively. Anyway, I put a set of Roadsmarts on it and we'll see how they wear.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
post #20 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 07:59 AM

I am super happy with my 150/70/17 Anakee 2 and 120/70/17 Roadsmart. Transformed the bike into a very nice handling machine.

The Anakee is no good in mud tho, got stuck the other day in the woods and thought I was going to have to call for help. Unhitched the panniers and got off the bike to make it lighter and got out barely after 20 yards of slop. This is no dirt bike, way too heavy!

07 K1200GT

07 Tiger 1050 (on the way)
08 Versys (Sold)

08 Ninja 250r (wife's)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode