To slip-on or Not to slip-on...That is the Question. - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
To slip-on or Not to slip-on...That is the Question.

Hey Everyone,
I know this is yet another exhaust thread but I'm trying to make an informed decision on this so any additional updated insight would be most helpful. Thanks in advance!

I'm contemplating either keeping the my Leo Vince Underbody slip-on or reverting back to stock exhaust on my 2013. I really like the sound of the LV and the bike seems smoother with the slip-on and w/o any additional mods. But I have some concerns. Here's why:
1. Everything I'm reading about after-market slip-on exhaust suggest that, in order for it to perform correctly, one also needs to install a Power Commander V with Autotune. This equates to another $500-600 (as currently the price on ebay).

Question: Is the PCV necessary or will the bike suffer over the long term with the slip-on only?

2. I'm interested in preserving or even improving fuel efficiency if even possible with this mod.

Question: Can this be done with a slip-on with or w/o the PCV? Will this combination ever produce the same mpgs as stock or is that simply not a reality with this mod ever?

3. My local mechanic, who is real good, wants $800 for PCV install (part included), dyno, and mapping and said that the bike benefits significantly from the above service with or w/o the slip-on. He also indicated that the bike might be worse off mechanically over the long run if it is not tuned now that it has the slip-on (running too hot).

Question: Is he giving me sound advice? It this price reasonable?

Thank you again for any insight.

Binderline
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 09:36 AM

You will gain nothing but noise and looks.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 09:58 AM

IMHO, ECU setting differ from bike to bike. Some bikes benefit more than other from a PCV. The only way to know for sure is dyno readings before and after.
Good luck

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
MY vote is to stick w/ the stock exhaust....

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 11:23 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I have the LV underbody without a PC and no plans to get one. I was always under the impression that a PC was only mandatory for full systems. I do not believe any harm will come from my using it without a PC.

That being said, if you want the optimal performance then the PC with a custom tune on the dyno is the way to go.

I have run several bikes over the years with slip on exhausts without PCs and have not had any problems.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 02:58 PM

Stay with stock. You don't want the noise
giving you away when you misbehave

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 03:24 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I liked my Yosi for Looks, Sound and Weight Loss. Its does nothing or close to nothing for increased power.The power commander is not needed unless you just want to throw away money.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 03:46 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
stay stock..... the money is not worth it... you will NOT gain mpg just loose them

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 04:08 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
To optimise things for reduced back pressure you will need to adjust the fuel map. No problems caused by not adjusting it though. Less intake pressure with something like a BMC air filter will help too.

The weight saving with a slip on will not be noticeable due to under body position which is at CG position.

Power gain is typically 5-10% with power commander + exhaust at wide open throttle and less at part throttle. Its usually cheaper to trade bikes than to add power with mods.

Last edited by twowheels; 03-03-2015 at 04:17 PM.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 04:10 PM

Yeah, I'm with weljo. Slip ons offer little to no performance improvements, but I like the look and the sound. I left the baffle in, so it's not much louder than stock.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 04:33 PM

You are trying to herd wild cats in trying to tune an oem efi bike. Torque is where it's at, and you have the best oem setup for that with the Vs. 650. You can spend tens of thousands of dollars and just get higher rpm, hp, db, and mph: a totally unusable bike with the torque lost out the window.

Just take the stupid cap off the exhaust tail pipe and ride!
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 05:40 PM

Garage
I had the Yoshi muffler and found it loud when you got on the gas. Fine when cruising. I fitted a Dobeck EJK and was very happy with the performance. It's quite common for manufacturers to tune their engines on the lean side to get them passed emission controls. I noticed this at low speed cruising on the Versys. The fuel controller did eliminate this. IMO all engine could benefit from individual tuning, that's if you want to extract the best performance. However, this all comes at a cost. Fuel controller, Dyno time,mapping & additional fuel consumption now that your engine isn't running lean. You will also need a tuner who knows their stuff. If you are anal or doing track days, then go for it. Most people are happy with how the bike comes out of the box.

I have ridden a Versys fitted to the Leo. I think this muffler is the best at getting as close to the original for volume and will recommend that you keep that on. It won't cause any damage to your engine or neighbour relations !

We must also remember that manufactures are not stupid and they spend millions of $ developing their engines. They may run a little lean, running a little hotter than in an ideal world, but they would never compromise the life of the engine. It's a fine balance between performance, fuel efficiency, engine life and country emission requirements. The choice is yours. Some people wash & polish their bikes, some just ride them. Which ever one you make, it won't be wrong. Motorcycles are a personal thing, that's what makes them so interesting.

Last edited by eddieglitter; 03-03-2015 at 05:46 PM.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for your take. I appreciate your perspective.

Binderline
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 12:10 AM

Garage
I have the LeoVince SBK underbody. I have noticed no difference to fuel economy and little if any performance difference. I installed it for the sound when riding at higher revs in the hills and the looks. Oh yeah it weighs heaps less too.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddieglitter View Post
Motorcycles are a personal thing, that's what makes them so interesting.

Current : Maroon 2011.
- Fender Extender - Radiator Guard - 19mm Nissin radial master - Nissin 4-pot caliper - SS brake lines - Osram Hyper 65W both low/high beam - LED 30w aux floodlights & 3w DRLs - Rear Hugger - Givi crash guards - Yoshimura TRC Carbon - Dynojet PC5 - Scottoiler - R1 shock with Ohlins 14.2 kg/mm spring - Imitation Givi Windshield - Rear Givi rack with 24ltr Givi top box - Bosch dual tones - Z800 stock mirrors.

Up next :
- Protaper SE ATV Low - PIAA Platinum low
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 03:22 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
.... and if you want to farkle up and buy a PowerCommander and Autotune 200... I bought mine at Motomummy as it was cheapest from them at that time - oh and the AUD was a lot higher than now.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 06:18 AM

My older, wiser brother had this response as I rattled off my list of "needs" for the bike. "Just ride it !!!!" Good idea.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 11:01 AM

Most riders here have regretted switching to an aftermarket can whatever the brand. I'd keep the stocker and just ride the bike and enjoy it. Only the Akropovic retains a catalytic converter, which the bike needs to run right, and it's also good for the environment. Why not do your part? No bike is perfect including the Versys, though it's close. Accept it on its own terms and enjoy it. Change the seat though.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 11:10 AM

I think I recall reading that the LV underbody was specifically designed for the V to replicate the stock exhaust in terms of performance, back pressure, etc,.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 01:08 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
My Versys had a Two Brothers carbon slip-on mounted when I bought it. I liked the brash sound for about two long rides and then decided it was time to put the stock muffler back on. I tired very quickly listening to the constant roar mile after mile.

My special dynomometer jeans couldn't tell any difference but my ears certainly could. I could even hear myself chuckle and hum about what a good time I was having.

Some folks think loud after market exhausts are worth the price of admission and, given that it's their money, that's pretty OK but I'd rather spend my $$ on things I believe are more worth while for my riding style. Hard cases, windscreen, GPS mount, auxiliary lighting, more comfy saddle come readily to mind. To each his (or her) own.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode