Winter maintenance & mods - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Winter maintenance & mods

Finished up with some work on the V today:
1- Emissions canister removal
2- Thermo-Bob installation: Pretty straight forward after I miss cut the radiator hoses and had to order new ones
3- TB Vacuum hose mod: Just ran a crossover hose between the two TB's, hopefully it will be worth it.
4- Air box cleaning & inlet tube shortening: Rather than removing the tubes altogether like some have done (and most put back in after it being too loud) I just cut 2" off each tube. We will see...
5- Air filter cleaning: it was TERRIBLE DIRTY, luckily I can clean and re use it, rather than replace. Well done Kawasaki
6- Pre-screen install on air inlet holes: I wanted to do something to help block some of the dirt/mud/dust, etc that I ride thru here in AK. So I found some relatively inexpensive filter pre screens and cut them down and zip tied them to the rim of the openings. NOT the prettiest looking but who will see them, right!
7- Checked spark plugs: They looked fine for only having 6K miles on them
8- Wire harness & hose re routing: This was more of an OCD thing but I have noticed MANY places that the factory wire/cable/hose routing was less than optimal or made sense. I cut quite a few factory clips and cleaned things up. It was surprising how many wires were pinched or routed just wrong.
Here are some pictures of it all.
BTW Don't bother telling me my bike is dirty, I KNOW, and it will only get dirtier in the spring, so I'm not too worried. It's not a street queen or show bike. I'm perfectly comfortable riding it in this condition.

Thermo-Bob right side:

Emissions clean-up area:

Thermo-Bob left side:

Air box pre screens: Before

After:

That little fitting in between the air inlet holes is for what?

Oh, yeah my new rear tire came in!

The 5 pound weight loss....

Thermo-Bob bypass hose routing (away from the exhaust)

The mess, mid work:

The belly of the beast:

The DIRTY (on the inside) air box and filter:

Yeah that about covers it. Not a bad couple days work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 08:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Great job Jeff. You are an inspiration. I need to do same as well as some other maint. The thermobob I want to do. You said you cut the hoses wrong the first time. It there a tricky part or was it just a uh-oh?

I'm no diplomat
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by aka Yamadog View Post
Great job Jeff. You are an inspiration. I need to do same as well as some other maint. The thermobob I want to do. You said you cut the hoses wrong the first time. It there a tricky part or was it just a uh-oh?
Thanks for the kind words
The hose cutting was not tricky, just my stupidity and NOT reading the instructions correctly the FIRST time

There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-14-2015, 02:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
That's a great way to really get to know your bike!

Lovin every minute of it!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-14-2015, 04:00 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
This is my post of issues/solutions I had installing a ThermoBob.
I sent him email so he knew what I experienced and to be aware of fitment issues.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...81&postcount=9
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-14-2015, 05:28 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Jeff - FWIW - I just cleaned my air-filter after 16,xxx miles. It was MORE dirty than yours.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-14-2015, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Jeff - FWIW - I just cleaned my air-filter after 16,xxx miles. It was MORE dirty than yours.

YIKES!! Mine was dirtier that in the picture too. I shook out of all the loose stuff and banged it on the cement floor a couple times before thinking about taking the shot. I'm sure glad Kawasaki made the filter cleanable and reusable. Now the debate IF it can hold up to the conditions some of us off the beaten path riders put it through. The aftermarket filters might offer better minute particulate filtration? I'm hoping the pre screens help some.

2011 ADVersys

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode