Air box pre-screen/filter - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-02-2015, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Air box pre-screen/filter

While I have my air box off the bike I decided to take it apart due to the inside of the air intake side was quite dirty. This is from riding on less than well maintained dirt/gravel roads here in Alaska. I only have 6K miles on the bike and the air filter was pretty clogged/dirty to say the least. Luckily it is washable and reusable
My question is: Has anyone thought about putting a pre filter type screen over the air inlet holes in the bottom of the air box to stop debris and dirt from entering? I know from my Mudbog racing days up in Fairbanks we had fine mesh wraps that we placed over the air filters to keep the big mud and gunk off. What do you think? Will it restrict too much?
Something like this:

http://www.autoanything.com/air-filt...FYY_aQodJRAAGQ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-03-2015, 03:15 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Maybe I didn't explain my wishes properly. I'm not talking about a pre-filter on the actual air filter inside the air box. I wanted to put something over the intake holes on the outside of the air box.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_4714.jpg (49.6 KB, 159 views)

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-03-2015, 08:24 AM
RMS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I think that Invader had a post where he had added larger air tubes on his air box, if you did that and added the pre filter screens then air flow should not be a problem
I may try to copy cat you with this mod, my last filter cleaning i found a lot of bug`s in the air box

Last edited by RMS; 02-03-2015 at 08:27 AM.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-03-2015, 09:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaJeff View Post
Maybe I didn't explain my wishes properly. I'm not talking about a pre-filter on the actual air filter inside the air box. I wanted to put something over the intake holes on the outside of the air box.
If you want to add a pre-filter, it would help to have more pre-filter area than the area of the 2 intake "holes". If there is room, you may want to provide space between the pre-filter and the holes (spaced out an inch or so), so that you can have more pre-filter area. Since you do a lot of dirt road riding, remember to clean the pre-filter often. I don't think it would hurt performance at all. But, try it, and check your fuel mileage along the way. If it drops, it's time to clean the pre-filter.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-03-2015, 12:18 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaJeff View Post
Check "jdrocks" threads - he's added 'pod' filters to those.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
No he didn't. Pod filters yes, but not at that location.

I stand corrected. Sorry, Dave.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode