Continental TKC70 tires - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 12:31 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Continental TKC70 tires

I'll be replacing the Dunlops come this spring or summer at the latest...I've read a lot of the tire reviews in here..but I didn't remember seeing these mentioned...They do seem a little expensive..but I do like their design...If they'll last (as designed) on a 1000cc machine..I imagine they should really last on a smaller less heavy/torqued machine...

http://www.cycleworld.com/2014/08/18...e-tire-review/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 12:25 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
GOOD review - I MIGHT make those my next set....

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 04:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I like Conti tires, have them on my other bikes, want the tck70 on the V but I don't see these in the size for the rear tire and don't want to change to a different size. Let me know if I'm off on this info.

Front Tire Size. 120/70-17
Rear Tire Size. 160/60-17

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-26-2015, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rydbayb View Post
I like Conti tires, have them on my other bikes, want the tck70 on the V but I don't see these in the size for the rear tire and don't want to change to a different size. Let me know if I'm off on this info.

Front Tire Size. 120/70-17
Rear Tire Size. 160/60-17
D'oh...should've done some better investigative work...you are right...guess I'll be looking at some Michelin's or Metzeler's...I used to have Continental tires on my Bmw (cage)..liked them..but they're moto tires don't seem to have good mileage from what I've gathered...I'll rely heavily on my mechanics recommendations...

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 12:49 AM

Which is the best Dunlop model radial tire? Thanks!!
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 01:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post
Which is the best Dunlop model radial tire? Thanks!!
that of course depends on what you want to do with them..

RACE: Sportmax GP-A Pro

Track: Sportmax Q3

Street: Sportmax Qualifier or Roadsmart 2..with the Roadsmart being the recommended tire by Dunlop

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 02:54 AM

Garage
These are designed for off road capable bikes adventure bikes with a 19 inch front wheel and a narrower 150 rear wheel. They don't come in sizes to fit the Versys.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 03:37 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
These are designed for off road capable bikes adventure bikes with a 19 inch front wheel and a narrower 150 rear wheel. They don't come in sizes to fit the Versys.
Why couldn't you run a 150 rear on the Versys?

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 07:23 AM

Garage
Reduction in cornering grip.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 07:36 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Reduction in cornering grip.
So the less than 1/2" (.39) in width will make a difference in cornering?

Maybe IF you were racing your bike, but riding it normally, I don't think so.

So what about the 170/60-17 they offer? It is .39 WIDER than the 160!! So you would have better cornering grip then?

There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys

Last edited by AlaskaJeff; 01-27-2015 at 07:41 AM.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 12:51 PM

Garage
Currently one of the only dual sport tires made to fit the Versys is the Pirelli Scorpion.

With a 17inch front wheel, firm suspension setup, and an under engine exhaust the Versys was not really designed to go off road IMO, rather it was designed to excel as an all rounder and on B and C roads. The Kawasaki KLR 650 is the bike you want for off pavement along with bikes like the KTM 690, etc..

Last edited by twowheels; 01-27-2015 at 01:04 PM.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 08:45 PM

Garage
I stand corrected......

The KLR test is cool.
As far as the ONLY dual sport (Adventure) tires that are made to or will fit the Versys are the Pirelli Scorpion? Really? What about the TKC80, Scout K60, Mitas E-07, and some others??

2011 ADVersys

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 12:00 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarleau View Post
What I want is a good, long lasting gravel/pavement tire for the Versys. I'm on my 2nd set of Scorpions now, and I find them like all other 120/70-17s, lightweight, sticky on pavement, fast wearing and lack bite in gravel. What I want is a hard carcass tire like a Tourance in a front specific 120/70. The TKC80 is really the only tire available with a touring design, but it is for me, too agressive for the road. We just need that in between tire like the new TKC70 for the Versys, so we get that hard/thick carcass for running gravel with confidence. I ran the Trans Labrador last year with the Scorpions, without a puncture. I don't want that risk again.

"The KLR is the bike you want for off pavement..." Ah, no thanks, not in a million years. I do like the 690. I tested one last September. I can't imagine sitting on one for more than a couple of hours. I think it is funny that you categorize the KLR with the 690. These could not be more different. No, the Versys 17 incher works fine for highspeed gravel, the suspension has about the right amount of travel, and the low slung exhaust has no problems with the graded gravel. If I can sort out the tires...
While the TKC80 is quite aggressive it has remarkable road manners. A friend of mine with a Multistrada 1200 shod with them front and rear constantly took corners at high speeds with no wobble or shimmy. Granted the rear doesn't last too long (maybe 5-6K miles) when ridden hard, but it does very well on pavement from what I have seen first hand. I will mount nothing BUT a TKC80 on the front of my 2011 Versys, due to the simple fact that it has the best traction on less than desirable road conditions when aired down properly. And will handle a gravel washout on pavement way better than most street oriented tires. It's pretty much the tire of choice here in Alaska. maybe not for other places but it works for me here and now. As for the rear I just ordered a Shinko (Radial) 705 AND a Mitas E-07 in the 150/70 size. Trying to decide which tire to use for my upcoming 2000 mile trip up through Canada and back, with some dirt gravel excursions thrown in between pavement stretches.

2011 ADVersys

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 08:21 AM

Garage
Quote:
You might be right. At $106 at Revzilla, I might give them a try.

http://www.revzilla.com/product/cont...al-sport-tires

However, I tested a pair of identical F800GSs last year on pavement. One machine had the TKC 80s in the stock 90/90-21 size, the other had the Scorpions. The bike does not turn as well as our Versys', but the Scorpions seemed more planted than the TKCs. The TKCs had a wandering feeling while counter-steering through exit ramps.

For some reason, I don't like to miss-match tires, so I will go with the 150/70-17 TKC rear as well.

I would prefer the TKC 70s but, I might give it a go though Jeff. Thanks for sharing.
Glad I could help

2011 ADVersys

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 12:37 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
What I want is a good, long lasting gravel/pavement tire for the Versys....
I'm quite happy running Tourances on both my Vs, tho' the 130/80 rear on the front requires raising the front fender (about 1.3" on mine).

The 150/70 rear I changed last season had 14,125 MILES on it and worked GREAT! For a ride up the AZ BDR for this season my riding buddy suggested a TKC80 on the front, 120/70 sized

and a Kenda BIG BLOCK on the rear, 150/70 sized

BOTH have worked fine for me, and that includes MANY miles on pavement. I find they are confidence inspiring, tho' I try to keep in mind that they ARE knobbies while I'm riding in a "spirited" manner....

I kept the Tourances I removed to re-install when the knobbies are 'done'. Here's a pic of them - the 130/80 on the left (w/ 18,709 miles), the 150/70 on the right (w/ 4,191 miles).

BTW - raising the front fender isn't too bad a job. I started a thread on it when I did it.

A fellow who USED to be a member in S America said he got 36K MILES from a 130/80 Tourance on the front of his V, and I see NO reason to doubt his story

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-29-2015, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadams66 View Post
that of course depends on what you want to do with them..

RACE: Sportmax GP-A Pro

Track: Sportmax Q3

Street: Sportmax Qualifier or Roadsmart 2..with the Roadsmart being the recommended tire by Dunlop

Thanks Chadams66!! New Roadsmart 2's sound much better than my 2012 stock dry rots at the moment It gets kind of funky every now and then.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-29-2015, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

I'm not planning on doing any dirt or gravel riding this year..so I got myself some Michelin Power Pilot Road 4's...not the cheapest tire I could've got my hands on..but the best wet road tire...I live where it rains a lot..so that made sense to me...they're also supposed to get good mileage..we'll see...let you all know after a couple of hundred miles...

post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-30-2015, 03:32 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Thanks Ed.

I noticed your rear Tourance is quite squared off. Yet because it is such a heavy carcass, you still have lots of tread to spare. If you squared off my Scorpion Trails to that extent, you would be past the cords.
I can't remember FOR SURE, but I believe that the rear I got over 14K miles on would have been MORE squared.

In '13 when I rode to Dawson for D2D, heavily loaded, my rear 150/70 did NOT last 14K miles!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-14-2015, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

Got that couple hundred miles on the Michelin Power Pilot 4's...Very nice tires..they do everything that they say they will...As with any new tire..I got that "old" feeling back again..and my corners have tightened up..as well as the pace "quickening"...The ride is good and better than the OEM Dunlops...We'll have to wait until the end of summer to see how they last...

good tires that should be considering the price...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode